Harvey Norman needs to get with the program

Also, what he doesn't mention in his rants about online shopping and GST and such is that he and his wife are major players in Domayne, which does an awful lot of business online. Seems Gerry would like to have his cake and eat it too.
I would too.

While I worry (and I do worry) about the future of tyres being bought online and possibly costing a % of my staff their jobs, I'm not that noble that I won't go with that flow to survive either.

The Banks won't care if I'm losing sales to Ebay or wherever; they just want their repayments, and I want to keep my house.

It's not Gerry's fault the online shopping centre was created.

He's running a business.

Where did all the ex-banking staff go when Banks reduced branches as they introduced ATMs, Internet banking?

Where did all the ex-manufacturing staff go when they lost their jobs to the low cost manufacturing in China?

Where did all those ex-call centre and ex-IT staff go when they lost their jobs to offshoring to India?

You get my point?
Yes, I understand.

I don't know where they went, but I reckon a lot of those middle-management, middle aged blokes are running around our area (and yours) mowing lawns. At least they're getting fit I suppose.

Unemployment figures released recently showed Australia's unemployment rate at 5.2% which is close to full employment.
I think this year there have been something in the order of 5,000 jobs? gone from various businesses Australia wide - just the ones reported in the news.

Where have these people gone?

I know a few people who were laid-off from Bluescope steel in Hastings. Some kept their jobs working 9-5 Mon-Fri and took a decent pay-cut (were shift-workers).

A couple are still not in jobs -this is their own fault; there is work around if you want it - but that's the thing; what will they end up doing?

The unemployment stats - as far as I know - cover all employment. Sounds good when you say 5.2%, but how many of these people were full-time and are now on casual/part-time hours which don't pay the bills as well, or suit their lifestyle with families etc?

I think this stat is very misleading.

When jobs are lost in one industry due to whatever reason, new jobs are created in new and emerging industries.
What?...Instantly? Hey presto?

This has been going on for decades may be even centuries. New industries are created as we humans continue to innovate and increase productivity.
I agree, but the world is now totally different than back in post-war Aus in 1950.

Now we have over-unionised workplaces, and labour costs etc are competing with the rest of the world - it's a global shopping centre.

Jobs are going overseas unless they can't physically be moved there; bar staff, mechanics, nurses, cops etc.

Any seriously big company that can operate here in Aus, but base their operations and staff O/S to keep profits up - will.

Let me ask you something; when you need office supplies; where do you buy them? Do you go to Officeworks, or do you go to the local newsagent and pay a bit more, or do you buy from one of the gazillion on-line office-supplies stores?

I only go to the local newsagent and pay a bit more.

What happens to all those nice young people who work at Officeworks (I bought my last computer there and the young dude who served me was terrific) when the on-line office supplies businesses cause their profits to drop through the floor?

I would too.

While I worry (and I do worry) about the future of tyres being bought online and possibly costing a % of my staff their jobs, I'm not that noble that I won't go with that flow to survive either.

So who is fitting the tyres bought online? Even back 40 years when I would tackle almost anything on my car (cars were simpler then), tyre replacement and wheel balancing was a job for a pro.

I would too.

*snip*
It's not Gerry's fault the online shopping centre was created.

He's running a business.

Sure, I get that. I just feel it's a little rich (pun intended) to complain about the Internet killing your business and the $1000 GST-free threshold, while all the while you are also making the most of that.

Sure, I get that. I just feel it's a little rich (pun intended) to complain about the Internet killing your business and the $1000 GST-free threshold, while all the while you are also making the most of that.

Well there's nothing wrong with a businessman trying to promote self-interest...

So who is fitting the tyres bought online? Even back 40 years when I would tackle almost anything on my car (cars were simpler then), tyre replacement and wheel balancing was a job for a pro.
There is a growing market of tyres being sold online for next to cost, and then you have to get them fitted yourself.

We have had a few blokes come in with this scenario, asking if we can fit them.

Glad to help them out.

They end up paying nearly the same as the fitted and balanced price, but hey..that's the world.

And, I have started to sell tyres online too; only select sizes that the younger internet savvy brigade would be interested in for the sports mobiles; 235/45/17 etc.

Yer old plodder pensioner looking for a 205/65/15 for a Camry of older Falcon isn't interested it seems; maybe they can't use a computer? That'd be it.

There is a growing market of tyres being sold online for next to cost, and then you have to get them fitted yourself.

Glad to help them out.

They end up paying nearly the same as the fitted and balanced price, but hey..that's the world.

And, I have started to sell tyres online too; only select sizes that the younger internet savvy brigade would be interested in for the sports mobiles; 235/45/17 etc.

Yer old plodder pensioner looking for a 205/65/15 for a Camry of older Falcon isn't interested it seems; maybe they can't use a computer? That'd be it.

A local bike shop has done a deal with one of the major online bike sellers where he assembles the bike with that cost paid by the seller(includes 1st service).

This has increased profit and clientele numbers.

My reading of his commentary is that he is concerned and wanting to make folk aware.

It's a similar thing to when Greg Norman was No.1 in the world (in golf), and he was always the most vocal about the tournament, the greens, the state of the game and so on.

People used to come in to my proshop and say to me: "Did ya hear Norman whinging again about the XYZ?".

I didn't see it that way; I saw a guy who was the undisputed best in the game, saying what he thought should be done to improve it further. He, of all people; would know.

Now, if it had have been the guy who missed the cut every week saying this stuff, it would be seen as simply a whinge by someone who was getting kicked by the game, and no-one would have paid any attention to his comments.

Same as no-runs-on-the-board doom and gloomers here on SS....but when one of the really successful dudes (not me) says something; people listen a bit more.

At least; I listen.

A local bike shop has done a deal with one of the major online bike sellers where he assembles the bike with that cost paid by the seller(includes 1st service).

This has increased profit and clientele numbers.
Yep; good adaption.

We have come up with a "menu" in our shop for the various costs of doing these jobs now...

So much to remove the wheel from the car, so much to remove the old tyre, fit the new one, balance it, refit to car, dispose of old tyres etc.

"JB reports that, on average, its website has 957,000 visits per week, with that figure jumping to 1.4 million during the busy Christmas period. Despite these impressive figures, online sales only accounted for $25.7 million, or 1.4 per cent of total sales. Current.com.au understands that JB Hi-Fi’s online conversion rate (total visits divided by sales) is one of the lowest in the electronics industry.

Latest results show online sales accounted for 1.62 per cent at $50.8 million.
In store sales came in at $3.13 billion.

Purchased from HN today. Last purchase there was pre mobile phone era - I was in their system under a hm ph. no. and old address.

They were the only place that had a large number of fitted and working rangehoods and sales staff that knew their rangehoods. They spent quite a bit of time with me over a couple of visits, and even communicated with my fitter via phone (it's an intergrated model going into a tricky spot, so got to get it right :cool:).

They reduced the price of the rangehood, and in the end it cost me $90 more than the cheapest online, after shipping costs.

I gave them the business as I thought the salesperson who was great may have benefited from some kind of bonus (they were all very eager to assist) + I knew I could go back there if I needed anything more.

As much as I don't like GH, I'll give my business to whoever does the best deal. In this case it happened to be them :eek:.

Last edited:
The other thing that all the HN knockers don't factor in with his pricing is that many of the customers are on the 5,0000 year no interest plans.

Try and get that on Ebay or wherever online shopping.

You can't get expect the rock bottom prices and then pay when you are old and grey.

All these you-beaut strategies which allow those who have got no money to buy stuff come at some cost.

Glad to help them out.

Jeeze, you must sell your tyres cheap.

For me to get 18 inch Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics a couple of years ago, including being shipped from the US to Australia, was $945. Fitting, balancing, disposal was around $120 from memory.

The best quote I got on those tyres sold and fitted in Australia was $1950.

No brainer to me.

ETA. It would be at least a months wait to get the tyres in if I bought in Australia. It took 4 days to arrive from the US.

Jeeze, you must sell your tyres cheap.

For me to get 18 inch Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics a couple of years ago, including being shipped from the US to Australia, was $945. Fitting, balancing, disposal was around $120 from memory.

The best quote I got on those tyres sold and fitted in Australia was $1950.

No brainer to me.

ETA. It would be at least a months wait to get the tyres in if I bought in Australia. It took 4 days to arrive from the US.
Good for you.

Keeping it Jobs for Aussies, yeah.

But it's not your fault; the internet gives all what they wished for.

Notice JB Hi-Fi snuck in at the bottom with a 22.1% fall as well.

They're just not as outspoken as Gerry.

I'll wager there are plenty of others.

Back