Have you always wondered how much refugees get per month?

Hiya

A piece of useless information for those who are interested:D

So, i have a refugee agency apply for one of my IPs in Sydney...rent is about 450 per week...

And i wonder softly to my PM as to whether they can afford it...it is for a lady with 3 sons in their 20s...

"Oh...i should say they sure can...they get $2000 total PER WEEK from the government:D ie 8000 dollars net per month between the four of them "

i must say i was mildly surprised :p

For how long?

I was surprised yet i suppose they would have next to nothing and would be heavy on the expenses to start. eg. furniture, education...

Best nip this one in the bud (though I will probably get into trouble for pasting some stuff I quickly grabbed):

- When an asylum seeker arrives in Australia, they do not get any Centrelink benefits. While their status is being processed, and if they meet certain criteria, they can be eligible for financial support from the Asylum Seeker Assistance Scheme, administered through the Red Cross. This amount is 89% of the basic Centrelink allowance. This means approximately $405.84 per fortnight over $260 less than a pensioner.

- Once an asylum seeker is recognised as a genuine refugee, after a long and highly scrutinized process, they are given permanent residency and are then entitled to the same Centrelink, schooling and health benefits as anyone else. No more, no less.

- The normal Centrelink welfare payment is $456 per fortnight, for a refugee with permanent residency and an Australian-born person. A pensioner in Australia receives $671.90. Over $200 more each fortnight. Even with family/parenting benefits, a refugees benefits would still be less than a pensioners income.

- For an asylum seeker to qualify for any payment under the Asylum Seeker Assistance Scheme, they must have lodged an application for a visa 6 months before, not be in detention, and not get any other payment or benefit.

- To get a permanent residence as a refugee, the person has to prove they are a genuine refugee fleeing persecution, go through character, security and medical tests, and sign an Australian Values Statement.

- Boat people are asylum seekers. Refugees are asylum seekers who have been approved and given a visa. None of them are illegal immigrants.

The above facts come from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, the Refugee Council of Australia, and from the Red Cross. A lot more reliable than a random email from a friend of a friend.

$500 per person per week to live on in SYDNEY.......

Rent
Food
Clothes
Transport
Electricity
Phone/Internet
Entertainment
Investments

Anybody want to take up the $500 challenge :)

Even better anyone want to take it up in Paris.... No possessions just 350 euro a week. Off you go, get a job, make a life for yourself.

I would be trying to find where all the aussies are living just so I could feel some sense of belonging. Then maybe after a few years try and make an effort to assimilate with the French :)

God knows what they have been through in the last few years to get them to the point of packing up everything and moving to a country that doesn't even speak their language.....

Just Saying :)

Best nip this one in the bud (though I will probably get into trouble for pasting some stuff I quickly grabbed):

- When an asylum seeker arrives in Australia, they do not get any Centrelink benefits. While their status is being processed, and if they meet certain criteria, they can be eligible for financial support from the Asylum Seeker Assistance Scheme, administered through the Red Cross. This amount is 89% of the basic Centrelink allowance. This means approximately $405.84 per fortnight over $260 less than a pensioner.

So you are saying they get about $4000 per month instead of $8000 per month between the four of them?

Wonder if they get any other assistance from other organisations or schemes? I am going to talk to my PM about this as i think if what you say is true, they will probably struggle with rent....:eek:

So you are saying they get about $4000 per month instead of $8000 per month between the four of them?

I'm just posting something from a source that might be more clued up than your PM.

I suspect there would be some charities that provide start-up funds for the purchase of furniture and stuff like that. I can't imagine it would be ongoing.

I play tennis with a young bloke who bailed from Burma a few years back when it became a bit unsafe for him. I'll have to ask him what happened when he lobbed here. He's a nice bloke, though I told him given we as a country were so welcoming to him he really should let me beat him at tennis sometimes.

I'm just posting something from a source that might be more clued up than your PM.

Oh...my PM is clued up alright...she has placed quite a few of these refugees in the properties she is managing...she will not do so without proof of income i can assure you...:D

In your previous post, you alluded to additional family benefits and parenting payment ...maybe that is why the monies are so high...i will check...

On a side note, they make fabulous tenants apparently...very clean, no trouble, and they pay their rents ON TIME:D

My personal take is....give them a Go! plus it makes me immensely happy to annoy that rascist old Anglo neighbour who told me...."anyone but those people ...we don't want those kind around here:eek:"

$500 per person per week to live on in SYDNEY.......

Rent
Food
Clothes
Transport
Electricity
Phone/Internet
Entertainment
Investments

Anybody want to take up the $500 challenge :)

Even better anyone want to take it up in Paris.... No possessions just 350 euro a week. Off you go, get a job, make a life for yourself.

I would be trying to find where all the aussies are living just so I could feel some sense of belonging. Then maybe after a few years try and make an effort to assimilate with the French :)

God knows what they have been through in the last few years to get them to the point of packing up everything and moving to a country that doesn't even speak their language.....

Just Saying :)

Yes I am already living on it the last few years as I got injured at work $494 net per week workers compensation

$500 survival technique

Yes I am already living on it the last few years as I got injured at work $494 net per week workers compensation

Wow! Impressive...(and i am not being facetious or sarcastic)

Breakdown please:D maybe can help some people with financial planning eh? heck! it can help me for a start:eek:

- Once an asylum seeker is recognised as a genuine refugee, after a long and highly scrutinized process, they are given permanent residency and are then entitled to the same Centrelink, schooling and health benefits as anyone else. No more, no less.

- The normal Centrelink welfare payment is $456 per fortnight, for a refugee with permanent residency and an Australian-born person. A pensioner in Australia receives $671.90. Over $200 more each fortnight. Even with family/parenting benefits, a refugees benefits would still be less than a pensioners income.

- For an asylum seeker to qualify for any payment under the Asylum Seeker Assistance Scheme, they must have lodged an application for a visa 6 months before, not be in detention, and not get any other payment or benefit.

- To get a permanent residence as a refugee, the person has to prove they are a genuine refugee fleeing persecution, go through character, security and medical tests, and sign an Australian Values Statement.

- Boat people are asylum seekers. Refugees are asylum seekers who have been approved and given a visa. None of them are illegal immigrants.

The above facts come from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, the Refugee Council of Australia, and from the Red Cross. A lot more reliable than a random email from a friend of a friend.

How dare you present facts and figures rather than a friend of a friend said this.

Kudos.

How dare you present facts and figures rather than a friend of a friend said this.

Kudos.

+1

come on virgo, this is a highly contentious topic, surely 5 mins of fact checking wouldvbe been in order before posting 2nd hand info that has proven to be completely incorrect

+1

come on virgo, this is a highly contentious topic, surely 5 mins of fact checking wouldvbe been in order before posting 2nd hand info that has proven to be completely incorrect

As i said previously, i will check with my pm...

Honestly, all my IPs, i trust all my PMs when they tell me they do their income checks ...do you mean you check what your PM checks???

However in this instance, i will do so...period.

To add some info --
While refugees are waiting for their status to be processed there are very few organisations that will help out (financially or otherwise) because of funding regulations/statistics for the organisations. Usually, the allowance they get from the Red Cross is all they get.

In some areas where there are high populations of refugees (e.g. Auburn in NSW) there are community organisations who apply for funding from Council or Club Grants to put in programs that would assist refugees e.g. employment assistance programs, food education, budgeting etc. If they are funded for programs like this they may be able to help out (financially or otherwise) a small number of refugees as part of the program but this funding is not guaranteed and certainly not ongoing.

refugees

Hiya

Just spoken to my PM; she has made a mistake:eek:

each person gets $500 per FORTNIGHT not per week; so the family of four gets $4000 net per month.

(Moot point really as i have accepted another application as we speak..)

but thought i should stand up and swallow humble pie eh?:p

but thought i should stand up and swallow humble pie eh?

Well done. I've become used to the taste of humble pie over the years. I'm now working on getting my kids (especially the 13 year old) to eat it occasionally.

As i said previously, i will check with my pm...

Honestly, all my IPs, i trust all my PMs when they tell me they do their income checks ...do you mean you check what your PM checks???

However in this instance, i will do so...period.

Surely you as the owner will want to verify the income of your tenants. What proof have they given?

If you are relying on 2nd hand information via your agent are they they one that will suffer if a tenant doesn't or cannot pay?

Crusk, To risk your life on a leaky boat just to get to Oz is a big risk. If my life was in danger I would seek refuge in the first available safe country.

Back