Heads up...

Thought i would give a heads up for anyone wanting to purchase commercial property that is tenanted by cba or coles don't touch it.

Coles - shutting down all there warehouses in the next year in nsw and going to one huge new built automated warehouse so all the commercial properties leased by them will be gone.

Cba - downsizing number of branches, it will be starting soon.

Coles - shutting down all there warehouses in the next year in nsw and going to one huge new built automated warehouse so all the commercial properties leased by them will be gone.

....so what ??

They might up stumps and leave but it doesn't affect the cashflow for the Landlord.

Maybe that is true, and maybe Coles will pull out....once again....so what ??

It won't affect the terms of the lease, nor their obligation to keep paying the rent and outgoings for their full term.

I'd be over the moon if I was their Landlord and they pulled out. Guaranteed rent and outgoings continued to be paid on your building, with minimal wear and tear. They'd still have to perform all of the maintenance, plus do a huge big "make good" before they left.....and all the while you can advertise for new Tenants at your leisure.

If you have to discount the rent to get someone in early if you panic, then you just sue Coles for the difference.

Sounds like a winner to me.

None of the leases are renewed by coles, these warehouses are big finding tenants for them will take years thats if they do end up finding a suitable tenant.

The warehouses are big John, but then so are the terms on these leases.

Coles doesn't go around signing little 6 month terms.

They usually take 15 years plus 10 plus 10 plus 10.

Imagine if you were the Landlord and they moved into your warehouse 11 years ago. When they signed the Lease, their corporate plan didn't extend beyond 10 years, so they had no idea that they were going to move.

Sure, they aren't going to exercise any of their options, but you still get your rent and outgoings paid for the next 4 years, all the while, able to advertise and look for a new Tenant.

If your concern is for the poor Landlord who has 4 years of fully paid notice, then your corporate conscience is admirable indeed. Landlords who own facilities big enough to house a Coles distribution centre don't need your sympathies. They are big enough and ugly enough to handle their own affairs.

Your concern though is very touching.

I've got 10 guys in one of my guesthouses employed via some Russian firm who are all here in Sydney for the next few months doing something big to a new Coles warehouse in Eastern Creek. Haven't grilled them on details.

The warehouses are big John, but then so are the terms on these leases.

Coles doesn't go around signing little 6 month terms.

They usually take 15 years plus 10 plus 10 plus 10.

Imagine if you were the Landlord and they moved into your warehouse 11 years ago. When they signed the Lease, their corporate plan didn't extend beyond 10 years, so they had no idea that they were going to move.

Sure, they aren't going to exercise any of their options, but you still get your rent and outgoings paid for the next 4 years, all the while, able to advertise and look for a new Tenant.

If your concern is for the poor Landlord who has 4 years of fully paid notice, then your corporate conscience is admirable indeed. Landlords who own facilities big enough to house a Coles distribution centre don't need your sympathies. They are big enough and ugly enough to handle their own affairs.

Your concern though is very touching.

^^^ Agree

In the end, you get the fantastic rates and long leases for the large light industrial/commercial sites because of the risks.

Vacancy periods are a risk.

PS Dazz: Love the by line

I agree that anyone who owns a Coles distribution centre is big enough and ugly enough to look after themselves.

The reminder that CBA and other banks do sell their bad branches at inflated rentals and prices is worth putting up here IMO because they are within the price range of private investors that may visit here.

I agree it is caveat emptor but it is good karma to remind others that big corporations are not your friend ;)

I've got 10 guys in one of my guesthouses employed via some Russian firm who are all here in Sydney for the next few months doing something big to a new Coles warehouse in Eastern Creek. Haven't grilled them on details.

Watch out ! Do not go in alone..Call for backup 10-96 or call Jack Reacher asap :D

It is actually a good warning as most people who look to buy these kind of office/retail properties (For CBA branches) pay top yields for it. Certainly down here in Victoria, bank buildings go for 4% yields which is just ridiculous as your capital growth is topped out with only downside risk of the bank closing its doors.

Back