heat pump or solar hot water system

Hi all,

My BASIX is requiring me to install either a heat pump system or a solar system. Im thinking of going with heat pump because I dont want more parts like panels to need to repair later on if it breaks....

ANyone have experience with these?? Do they actually work?? It will be installed in an area where temps are typical of Sydney weather, perhaps a little on the high side...

I've been told solar works better if property is exposed to sunshine (which it is) but again maintenance is something I dont want to deal with being an IP

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Heat pumps

Heat pumps have a small fan/pump in them and can generate as much noise as a split system air con, so need to keep that in mind when placing the unit on the outside of the house. They're not overly noisy, but still something to consider.

We had a split solar system in Brisbane for 4 years. We never did any maintenance and tenant said it worked great (right up to when it went under in the floods :eek: )

My BASIX said that on my PPOR we built in 2010. I pushed back on the builder and asked if we could use natural gas instead. They ran it through and said, yes, that will do sir.

So we went with instant natural gas. The hot water can take a while to run through, so keep that in mind if you need it hot and need it now.

I reckon I might have gone with the heat pump if I had my time again.

In canada, heat pumps, from ground source heat exchange not air, make hot water in minus 20
In NT, heat pumps, from ground source, make easy air con at 45
in both places the ground is a constant 15deg 2 feet down

If you can find an installer for ground source, for a heat pump, you get efficiencies up to 400%, without the noisy fan, just a small motor like a fridge motor
'kin great idea

Heat pumps have a small fan/pump in them and can generate as much noise as a split system air con, so need to keep that in mind when placing the unit on the outside of the house. They're not overly noisy, but still something to consider.

I had Sanden heat pump installed. Split system with compressor separate from the tank. Whisper quiet, but not cheap.

Back