Hebel or brick construction??

Hi all,

Looking for opinions on Hebel or brick for the construction of a duplex. The builder preparing the tender has indicated that bricklayers are in short supply at the moment in Sydney due to the construction boom and suggested using Hebel.

It would be a rendered finish to the facade and remainder of the duplex. Have read that Hebel is better insulation ie cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Looking at a finished product of $1.4 each duplex so dont want low quality finish.

Does anyone have any experience on this?

Hi all,

Looking for opinions on Hebel or brick for the construction of a duplex. The builder preparing the tender has indicated that bricklayers are in short supply at the moment in Sydney due to the construction boom and suggested using Hebel.

It would be a rendered finish to the facade and remainder of the duplex. Have read that Hebel is better insulation ie cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Looking at a finished product of $1.4 each duplex so dont want low quality finish.

Does anyone have any experience on this?

there are plenty brickky.. Builder is suggesting you Hebel so can cut down the cost. (cost goes down significantly, as you don't need that much of structural steel)

I wouldnt do Hebal for ground floor (some council wont even allow it)

but

1st floor, i would suggest to do Styrofoam (White stuff you get when you get new tv) with render finish....it can be installed and finished within 3 days. much cheaper and look much better than Hebel joints.

I have been living in a 2 storey hebel home for over 15 years, most comfortable [re temperature] home I have ever lived in ...

there are plenty brickky.. Builder is suggesting you Hebel so can cut down the cost. (cost goes down significantly, as you don't need that much of structural steel)

I wouldnt do Hebal for ground floor (some council wont even allow it)

but

1st floor, i would suggest to do Styrofoam (White stuff you get when you get new tv) with render finish....it can be installed and finished within 3 days. much cheaper and look much better than Hebel joints.

I know about 5 companies that are looking for brickies in sydney. There is not plenty of brickies. A lot of companies are wrapping their houses in sarking because the frames are sitting there to long.

In regards to the hebel I think it is a good product and it is becoming more popular throughout sydney. Being a carpenter in sydney, working in the new estates I see more homes getting hebel. I got offered 150 houses to install hebel on just in one estate.

I completed building and construction course. Hebel is better than bricks: high insulation, lighter, fast construction and lower cost, compared to tradtional material, bricks.

But bricks will last longer....I've worked on jobs with hebel, yeah it goes up fast but man I'd rather bricks anyday!

Last edited:
Back