Height restrictions Brisbane

Does anyone know what the legal height is that you can raise to in Brisbane? I'm hearing 8.5m up to 9.4m. Where is this measured to? The gutters? The top gable on the roof? What if your on a sloping site where from the left hand side of the house varies a lot from the right? ... Is it measured from the lowest point of the house to prevent people raising way to high...?

Used to be 8.5m but I've heard it is now higher. I recall when we thought about putting a second level at the back of our house, we were told that because our house is two levels at the front and one level at the back due to the slope of our block from front to back, that the height is measured from "ground level", ie. we could have built up to 8.5m at the back but only at the back. We couldn't have build higher over the whole of our house or the front would be three levels, and higher than 8.5m.

I also recall being told that because we had cut into the ground under our house to create living areas, if we wished to add another level at the back, we would measure from the ground level that was original, and not from the lower cut that we made ourselves.

Your best bet is to call BCC or ask RPI on this forum. He knows all this backwards.

If your house is flood affected than it will be 9.5m high, and thats from ground level to the top point of your roof. This is to allow you to raise the bottom floor above minimum habital height for flooding.

If your house is not flood affected than it is 8.5m high.

At least that was the case with the old city plan. I'm not too sure if it has changed now. But I don't think it has. I know you can still raise to 9.5m if flood affected. I'll be doing that in a few months with my place.

If your house is not flood affected than it is 8.5m high.

I think that RPI posted new rules and that the 8.5m was changed to allow higher levels (9m?), not just for flood affected areas (but could be wrong)...

I recall thinking at the time that several houses in the streets around us who have recently added a level would have benefited from this, because their second level roofs don't match the pitch that would be ideal as they had to keep the height to 8.5m.

Thanks for the replies. As you look at the property at the from the front of th street, the left hand side is no where near has high as the RHS. I assume I was to measure from the current highest point (from the RHS to the pitch of the roof).

Back