help getting a small job done

Hello, I need to find someone to move 40 sheets of plasterboard from my garage to 3rd floor appartment, can anyone recommend any companies/people/website that can do this/find someone to do this. im in qld.
tried mini movers but they were to expensive and included a truck that i didnt need.

cheers

go to pub, or perhaps the certrelink office. You'll find a couple of takers.

One of my first jobs was moving ceiling plasterboard and butting my head against it while someone nailed it in. Broke one too. got 10 bucks for my trouble if I remember rightly. he found me at the newsagents where I was working.

wish i had a lift then i could do it myself, i posted on gumtree and got afew replys see how i go seems kinda hard to find people for small odd jobs.

Hello, I need to find someone to move 40 sheets of plasterboard from my garage to 3rd floor appartment, can anyone recommend any companies/people/website that can do this/find someone to do this. im in qld.
tried mini movers but they were to expensive and included a truck that i didnt need.

cheers

40 sheets up 3 flights probably wouldn't be a "small job" for a lot of people. 10 would do a lot of people in.

An interesting exercise would be to approach a group of high-school students standing at a bus stop and ask them if they would like to earn $50 to help you.

I wonder how many would take up the offer for that amount.

An interesting exercise would be to approach a group of high-school students standing at a bus stop and ask them if they would like to earn $50 to help you.

I wonder how many would take up the offer for that amount.

That could get you arrested!:eek:

do you know any tradies? they often have labourer mates, or at least a network of such.

give them a call and tell them you need x guys (or strong girls) for a day and that you have a cashie if anyone is interested.

will probably cost you more than $50 per day but at least you wont get arrested.

someone on gumtree has offered to help me for $15 per hour or $30 for him and a mate (actually quiet suprised by the amount of replys ive had seems to be alot of people looking for odd work some are available anytime assuming unemployed and some say after hours and weekends obviously employed). any tips on how i go about this are there any traps to look out for. im a little worried about some oh&s bs, can i be sued if he hurts himself falls down the stairs or claims to have strained his back etc.

someone on gumtree has offered to help me for $15 per hour or $30 for him and a mate (actually quiet suprised by the amount of replys ive had seems to be alot of people looking for odd work some are available anytime assuming unemployed and some say after hours and weekends obviously employed). any tips on how i go about this are there any traps to look out for. im a little worried about some oh&s bs, can i be sued if he hurts himself falls down the stairs or claims to have strained his back etc.

Yes you can be sued.

to me, your problem isnt getting someone to do this job for you.... but rather that you dont really want to pay someone to do the job!! ;)

If someone injures themselves, then you could certainly get sued.

I guess my 2 concerns would be security of having someone off the street "casing" your property. Also, whether they are competent to move the sheets and what happens if they get damaged.

Most agents have a list of handymen who do odd jobs.. If you gave them a call, they'd probably give you some ideas. I would prefer to pay someone who has a business and some reason to do a good job.

penny you are right if i could do it myself i would but alas i am but one man i will be helping them so not to concerned about damage sheets were less than 10dollars each and we will probably only be doing 2 at a time. is there less of a risk of being sued with a company?

If you want someone with insurance etc.. Maybe try your local paper for handyman type guys... I would imagine you would pay $20-50 per hour though.

Ring around to get some quotes.

I think it's a terrible indictment on our societies' progress when there is a possibility that someone can ask another for help, they say "yes" and then during their period of help they have an accident and can sue the bloke who asked for the help. :eek:

We are moving towards a state if inertia, where no-one will do a damn thing without clearing it through the ambulance chase first.

Good on ya; human race.....pack of idiots.

Last edited:

cheers

mate, if I had the free time I'd come up there and help ya - for free (shout me lunch at the pub) - and all would be good.

And I wouldn't sue you if I fell over and broke my ankle or whatever....

mate, if I had the free time I'd come up there and help ya - for free (shout me lunch at the pub) - and all would be good.

And I wouldn't sue you if I fell over and broke my ankle or whatever....

What if the unit owner had spilt a bottle of oil on his floor and didn't clean it up properly and you slipped permanently disabling yourself?

Carrying sheets upstairs sounds like a perfect set up for a bad back scam, no way me :(

I would contact a local RE agent or such and get a handyman or maybe look in local paper for yard cleaner/handyman, one of those do anything sort of blokes with insurance.

Carrying sheets upstairs sounds like a perfect set up for a bad back scam, no way me :(

I would contact a local RE agent or such and get a handyman or maybe look in local paper for yard cleaner/handyman, one of those do anything sort of blokes with insurance.

Agree with the :( face

So this is where we're heading.. If my neighbour asks me to help him move a plant in his front yard and I agree, then on my walking there, I slip it's the neighbour's fault cause I was only going there to help him...

Agree with the :( face

So this is where we're heading.. If my neighbour asks me to help him move a plant in his front yard and I agree, then on my walking there, I slip it's the neighbour's fault cause I was only going there to help him...

I would see a fairly big difference between having a neighbour or a friend helping, compared to someone who you dont know, who you are essentially "employing" to do a job for you at cash rates.

There is a risk in both situations, but a much bigger risk when you are paying for someone's time/ effort

What if the unit owner had spilt a bottle of oil on his floor and didn't clean it up properly and you slipped permanently disabling yourself?

LOL! Sounds like that ad for the guy who wants to rent a car and is asking the sales guy and girl about all these "what ifs?" in relation to an accident with the hire car.

There's billboards around the place now with the same guy on it saying "What if....this billboard falls on my car?" It's a classic; very clever.

You can apply that to just about every single day you walk out your front door, of course..

Back