Help! I'm heritage listed.

These guys must be crazy.

I live in an ordinary weather-board, high block, <50yr old house which is definitely not an old Queenslander. Today I got a letter to say that the council intends to add my property to the Local Heritage Database. Bluddyell!

The joke is, nobody in their right mind could describe the precinct as attractive, surrounded as we are by strip commercial development, shopping malls and light commercial areas (we do have a wonderful range of amenities and businesses within walking distance). To make it worse the council has approved three medium density unit developments and Commonwealth offices where over 400 phone jockeys work with bugger-all parking, all within a stone's throw. Naturally the parking is chockers during office hours.

Looking for the silver lining, I quote: "Furthermore, Local Heritage listed properties are eligible to apply for the State Government "Living Buildings" Heritage Grants program. This provides up to $50,000 for selected works to heritage or character properties." It just so happens that my 50yr old roof is in dire need of replacement. No point in having a "heritage" building rotting because of a rusty, leaking roof is there?

Mrs SF can't stop giggling but I intended to develop the site myself. Is this a laughing matter??????

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the property has to be attractive or pleasant to be heritage listed. In Canberra I believe there are a number of disgusting crime ridden flats on Northbourne Ave. near the city that are heritage listed, I guess this must be due purely to their age.

I have access to a site in Greenslopes Brisbane that is 809m2 with unit's on 2 sides and the expressway over the road out front , with a ordinary weatherboard, cladded, raised, buit in house on it that look's nothing like the tastfully done QLD'er next door, and would cost a fortune to get looking nice, and then have a view of the expressway wall.

Our plan was to build unit's on the site, so that Bloss's ageing parent's, who find it difficult to get up the stair's, could have the ground floor of their choice, built to suit their need's.

They do not want to move from the area as this was the house the old boy lived in since birth.

This is a Demo control precinct, this house, the nice one and the shop next door to that, and the coucil won't allow the house to be moved or dropped.

It was suggested to me to leave it vacant with the door's open and let squatters move in and trash the place, and maybe even burn it out.

Pretty irresponsible, but at least then it could get dropped, and unit's built on the site.

There has actually been a bit of this go on I have heard.

I am not suggesting this as a solution.............But,

BB

BoatBoy

Maybe all is not lost. We also own an IP in a demolition control precinct in Greenslopes. My understanding is that a property cannot be demolished/removed if it is in a group of at least three pre-war properties (ours is No 2 in a group of 3). :( Was reading an article on this about a week ago - but now, when I need it - can't find it. Our IP is also in an LMR (old Res A) area - don't know if this makes any difference.

I'm no expert, so check it our thoroughly - have found BCC Town Planning Dept very helpful.

If I can find the article I'll post again.

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
BoatBoy

Maybe all is not lost. We also own an IP in a demolition control precinct in Greenslopes. My understanding is that a property cannot be demolished/removed if it is in a group of at least three pre-war properties (ours is No 2 in a group of 3). :( Was reading an article on this about a week ago - but now, when I need it - can't find it. Our IP is also in an LMR (old Res A) area - don't know if this makes any difference.

I'm no expert, so check it our thoroughly - have found BCC Town Planning Dept very helpful.

If I can find the article I'll post again.

Cheers
LynnH

Hi Lynn

Pretty sure I read an article about this very issue in one of the more recent API mags. Check them out, anyway.

Rang Jo, who signed the letter, today and he did a good job of sweet talking me. I was convinced all was sweetness and light :)

But then I had a beer this afternoon with all the usual suspects in the dunrootin corner of the local. One of the group is a council draftsman who explained that "Jo" is a dreadlocked idologist (spell-checker rejects both words) who delayed repair of a small wall of the (council owned) art gallery, after it collapsed, for eight months when there was clear photographic evidence that said wall was a recent addition. And then didn't bother to get out of his chair to do a final inspection.

BBs suggestion to open it up for squatters is not suitable in my case but is a wonderful example of lateral thinking. Keep up the good work. :D

Hate lawyers but might be time to call one.:mad:

hi all
two thing that heritage causes a problem
1. you can't build around it afterwards here in nsw, as shadowing can cause a problem,
and you have to get the heritage board to agree to let you build
have a look at campbelltown most of the inner city is 10a, 10 storey multi but they can only build to 2 storey, as it will over shadow a heritage building, so there commercial area looks like country town, yet most new housing is in this area
they can't build a hotel of any size as you can't build 200 rooms in a 2 storey unless you take up all the commercial land in campbelltown.
2. burning it down or trashing its, is of no use because the council can and if a green council will ask you to rebuild as it was or black ban any works for 10 years even if sold to a third party.
if the property is heritage I would be out quick smart I don't mind a bit of heritage just as long some one else has paid for me to look at it.
I had a great argument with a council heritage officer and in the end asked her to buy the property, her answer was a she didn't have the money and b why should she ? us developers have all the money and should leave the house so she can walk past and enjoy looking at it.
I sold it within 4 weeks at 100k above the price I bought it for but not for what it could have been worth.
and everytime the shop keepers complain that the malls are taking all there customers I tell them about the heritage and council controls that will not allow you to develop in some city and towns.

Article

FWIW, I suspect the article Jacque and Lynn are referring to is from the January API (pg. 100).

That said, it's mostly focused on the demolition and renovation protections applied to character houses, rather than properties that are actually heritage listed, which is a different kettle of fish again.

Sunfish, has the council explained to you why the building is being heritage listed?

Matt

Sunfish, has the council explained to you why the building is being heritage listed?

Matt

Yes. Because it's log-cabin chamferboard with an unusual roofline and wooden casement windows. (WOW!!!!) It is a very ordinary house built when timber was available and cheap, so it has good hardwood bearers.

The real reason is that some meddling bureaucrat is keeping himself in a job.

Can't post a pic because some tealeaf lifted my camera.

Back