Help me with next step please

Hi all.

I'll explain before I get to my question if you don't mind.

I received my statement from PM at end of September and realised my tenant was behind in her rent. I spoke to PM who said something along the lines of "really, must have missed that". Tenant stayed behind though did make some payments. Tenant moved out mid October (breaking lease). Some damage was found on MY final inspection (not PM's) and the garden hadn't been maintained etc. New tenants moved in 14th November.

All up tenant owed all of bond $960.00 + an amount of $341.00 on top to cover rent not paid, rent to cover up to new tenant moving in and compensation for damage and gardening.

Bond release form and (I assume) bill for extra was sent to tenant (but only about 3 weeks ago!) Tenant hasn't responded and won't return telephone calls - the email from my PM said .... "Have called XXXXX a few times but no answer so hope she has the papers and will return."

What is my next step (or my PM on my behalf) - what should I instruct PM to do? I'm getting a little frustrated with her regarding lack of action on this matter and want to make sure that she gets on top of things. (Having had next to no rent deposited since September).

Without even touching on the money over and above the bond that you are owed, I would be making sure that the form is sent in asking for the full bond.

I don't know how it works where your IP is but here in Queensland, if I was wanting to claim the bond, I would be getting the form in immediately, signed by me and let the tenants fight for what they might think they are owed.

If I could not get them to sign the bond form acknowledging that they owe me the whole bond I would send the form in signed by just me and (from memory) the RTA give them a certain time (two weeks?) to apply for their bond back.

So, depending on the rules in your state, get onto the agent and put a cracker under her.

Wylie,

I THINK that the bond form needs to be signed by all parties here in WA (though I'll stand corrected) before going in. I suppose my query is what is the next step if the tenant won't sign?

The cracker has already been placed. I was so angry when I got the email from her today that I sent back a less than polite reply before I had a chance to think through my response!

Last edited:
Interesting to know what happens if the form must be signed by both parties when the tenant has done a runner. In those cases the landlord only would sign, and tenant would have to follow up separately within a certain time, surely.

Curious to know.

In NSW either party can make a claim on the bond, the other party has 14 days to dispute the claim by making an application to the consumer trader and tenancy tribunal.

In your state it is quite different, to get the bond i suggest you look at the following 2 webpages

http://http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Real_Estate/Renting_and_tenancy/Bonds/Disposal_of_a_bond.html

http://http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Real_Estate/Renting_and_tenancy/Bonds/Can%27t_agree_or_having_other_pr.html

Good luck

In NSW either party can make a claim on the bond, the other party has 14 days to dispute the claim by making an application to the consumer trader and tenancy tribunal.
In your state it is quite different, to get the bond i suggest you look at the following 2 webpages
http://http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Real_Estate/Renting_and_tenancy/Bonds/Disposal_of_a_bond.html

http://http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Real_Estate/Renting_and_tenancy/Bonds/Can%27t_agree_or_having_other_pr.html

Good luck

Thank you Collector. Unfortunately your links didn't work, but they still helped me to find the information I needed.

Step 1 is to send form to tenant for joint disposal of the bond (which needs to be signed by both parties).

Step 2 is to send a Form 6 (obtainable from the court) which is to dispose of the bond through court application (which is used if the tenant can't be contacted or refuses to sign the form). The tenant can choose to dispute this by lodging another form or ignore it in which case the court will order the release of bond money.

This only helps me with the owings covered by the bond - the rest I can claim (or the wretched PM can) through separate paperwork through the court or through our landlord's insurance.

I've instructed our PM to proceed with Form 6 within 48 hours.

Once this matter is finalised I will be issuing a 28 day notice to PM. If she is too busy to perform her job, then I will find someone else who will.

Hi there,

First post so bear with me.

I work in the courts and deal with this situation everyday.

First question you gotta ask yourself is are you claiming just the bond money or are you asking for more then the bond money.

If its just the bond money then Form 6 will do the trick and if its more than the bond money you can go for the Form 12. However, bear in mind if you do want to go for the bond money you gotta ask yourself the question is it really worth it. As you will have to cash out another $200 to enforce it and there is no gurantee that you will get that back.

However if you decide to lodge a Form 6 make sure you get your agent to bring all invoice and receipt upon lodgment of the document as you need to justified to the court why you need the bond money to be release to you.

Last but not least make sure your agent lodge the document at the right court house. EG if the rental property was at Joondalup then the closet court house would be Joondalup Court house. And if your agent do lodge it at Perth Courts it will be rejected as there will be no provision for us to accept it.

Anyway hope there is enough info there. If not ask away and hopefully i can help.

Regards
jackson

Taking a longer term view, you need to find a new PM.

Your current one is simply not doing its job.

A good PM can prevent most of theses hassles.

Cheers,

Jackson,

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll ask PM what form she's lodging today (yes today - it's taken her that time since I instructed her on Monday). She was asking me yesterday for photo's etc of the damage (minor) and the costs involved in weeding etc, so I'm assuming she's sending in the form for over and above the bond money.

I've asked her to email me with details however I got this response this morning.

"Will get one of the girls to do it today, the court just take the money and papers then process and send appl back with the date of hearing so will let you know when that comes back also."

So I'll find out that in due course.

Property is in Safety Bay - local court is Rockingham so I'm sure she can't muck that up.

House_Keeper - PM is gone she just doesn't know it yet. I interviewed two on Monday morning and have chosen one - I just want to get this matter tidied away before I send her the 28 day letter - or I'm sure there will be less effort on her part to get it sorted.

Shame really - I know her (through friends) and she's been a PM for 15 years - really good reputation around our area and within the business - there is something obviously going wrong that I've got caught in the middle of.

Thanks for the advice and help all.

Hi
I work as a Property Manager and I manage a few properties in the Rockingham area, so I can walk you through it.
First of all, a Bond disposal form should be sent to the tenant. SHould have been done ages ago. If the tenant has not provided a forwarding address then of course you cannot do this. If hte tenant has been sent this, and two weeks pass and they do not return it, then you can move to the next step.
the next step is to apply to court for the bond disposal. Like someone else said, you can apply JUST to have the bond returned, or you can apply to have an order fo rthe tenant to pay all outstanding. If you apply to have just the bond returned, the pm (and you) do not need to go to court, so the fees will be minimal ($26.70, and they may charge a preparation fee, we do, $66 from memory). If you apply to have the tenant pay all outstanding, the court has the PM appear (or the owner) and also asks either that you appera or you provide a letter with a good reason to explain your absense (eg you are caring for small children or you are sick in hospital or you are in a regional area, being at work is not considered a sufficient reason). We charge about $220 to appear on the owners behalf, and that will be deducted from the rent obtained via bond before it is given to you, and then of course just becasue you have a judgement doesn't mean the tenant has to actually pay it, you will need a debt collector for that (another cost). So, maybe it would be most economical to just claim Bond. Still, the other is satisfying and you never know she may pay.
So, the PM prepares court docs (these are available on line, if you do a search on perth magistrates court then choose Court procedures, forms and fees from left bar, follow your nose). It will need to be submitted with a $26.70 fee to Rockinham court. Rockingham court are EXTREMELY particular (I think the magistrate there has a power complex maybe) so with the form you will need to submit an affidavit, signed by a JP (there is one at the courthouse, they work mornings), each page stamped "this is document "a" in the affidavid prepared by (your name) witnessed by blah blah (they have a stamp). You will need all invoices. If you don't have an invoice, eg if it is gardening and you have done it yourself, then you cannot claim for that. You will need a copy of the rent transaction history plus Noitce of termination and proof that was sent. The courthouse will provide with with a special affidavit called "affidavit of service" to verify that the Notice of termination was posted to your darling tenant, that need s to be witnessed by J as well. And the original pcr, final bond inspection, photos, and info on where bond is held (eg bond statement from docep). And management authority and copy of lease signed by tenant. Put it all together, or actually your pm should, that is what they are for, post it to courthouse, hearing will be on a tuesday about two weeks after you submit it.
If you apply just to have bond released, same submission but you need not attend; they should send you a letter with result and notify docep (if docep hold bond) to release bond to your pm, who will then hold it in their trust acccount until end of month, deduct their sweet fees, give you balance.
If you apply to have full costs, you will have to attend. Or your PM. In Rockingham, the court is set up so that all parties are told to be there at 9:30 am , then you sit and wait your turn until you are called, your hearing will take about 4 minutes as the magistrate has already read your docs prior to the day. However you may have to wait until 11am before it is your turn ... the pm (or you) should take a copy of all the docs as they usually ask one or two questions, speciallising in whatever you are not expecting. Try and look humble, bow on arrival and when leaving, say "sir" or "your honour" at any random moment, allow a little extra time for parking as they keep on doing roadworks on whitfield av and sometimes parking is tricky. Also sit in the inside room so you can listen to the other cases while you wait as they are always interesting and other people will be far more worse off than you. (assuming you go and not just the pm). Once agian, the court will make a decision, hopefully in your favour if your case is watertight, and the order for bond disposal will be sent to docep and the order will also be sent to the tenant (if an address is available). Tenants rarely go to court.
Next, if you are after the whole lot, the PM should sent a letter to the tenant asking them to pay. Of course they won't. The PM should be able to arrange a debt collector for you. Different debt collectors have different charges, we use one that has a flat fee of $185, but it is only paid WHEN they collect any money from the tenant. The debt collector should be able to hound the tenant and maybe set up a payment plan, possibly involving garnishing their centrelink payments. In Rockingham court last time I was there I actually watched the magistrate arrange a payment plan with a tenant, the tenant owed about $6000, owned her own home, had three children from memory and one of them was working age the other two teenagers; they went through her living expenses and budget then agreed the tenant could pay $20 PER FORTNIGHT until it was paid off - isn't that giving her 11 years to pay it all off? So if you are arranging a debt collector you should get your money back but not real fast...
Anyway good luck, it is fairly straightforward. And you really do need a new PM.

Our previous tenant arrived back from wherever she has been late last week and called into our PM's office and paid all owing and signed bond release form so no need to proceed with the court hearing tomorrow.

My faith in human nature has been slightly restored - and I'll see some money in my account this month!

Yes it was great news as this has been going on for a while now. As soon as I know the bond forms have been sent in for release I'll be issuing my termination letter to the PM and getting my new one signed up.

Back