Help please

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can briefly explain to me the claimable costs associated with travelling to see your investment property. I'm more interested in the percentage you can claim for say a flight, acc etc etc. I realise the trip must be for property investing ( which it is ) but would like to be more familiar and understand the exact items which are claimable and any useful tid bits. For example I intend visiting my 2nd IP which settles next week in QLD ( I live in NSW ), we bought sight unseen and would like to look around for another IP but also inspect the new QLD IP.

Thanks so much
Lisa

You will have to apportion the costs (flights & rental car) based on time spent checking out your IP and time doing other things.

For example, if if cost you $2k to get to QLD and you spend half the time checking out your IP, you can claim $1k

Now, are you REALLY going to both look at your current IP AND to look for a new IP, or would it be possible that while looking at your current IP, you just happened (by chance) to stumble across another one...

Hi Lisa
Here is a link from the ATO about rental properties. Page 13 tells you about travel expenses. In the example given there, it does not allow the cost of flights.
http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/NAT1729_07.pdf
My accountant told me, that simpily driving past your IP does not constitute a visit. You must have actually gone inside & inspected the property for it to be claimed as a tax deduction. Also the cost of going to look for another IP, cannot be claimed as a deduction.
You should check with your accountant before travel:)
Steve

A previous poster said that you just apportion the expenses (including airfares) based on the portion of time that was for inspecting the rental property. However, from my understanding the following situations would hold true and contradict the opinion.

Situation 1.
Fly to rental property and spend 1 day inspecting and doing minor repairs.

Airfares? Deductible.
Accommodation costs? Deductible.

Situation 2.
Fly to rental property and spend 1 day inspecting and doing minor repairs, then go and spend 8 days on the beach, isn't it lovely having a rental property on the Gold Coast.

Airfares? Not deductible as the main intention of the trip is for a holiday. (I would presume it'd be VERY hard to justify in an audit that the trip was for the repairs and the holidaying was incidental)
Accommodation costs? 1/9 of the cost deductible.

Situation 3.
Fly to rental property and spend 4 days inspecting and doing minor repairs, then go and spend 3 days relaxing on the beach.

Airfares? Deductible 100%. The intention of the trip was to do the repairs, the holidaying was merely incidental.
Accommodation? 4/7 of the cost deductible.

This is not a final verdict in anyway, it's my opinion and open for discussion. I will try and look for some case law to back it up, I think it was tried when someone tried to claim the full airfare to an overseas conference that had a holiday attached.

As you can see though its really the intention of the holiday (and you have to be able to convince the auditor). The logic behind it as I understand is that if you go on a trip to inspect your investment property then you would incur that airfare regardless of if you holidayed after inspecting or not and hence fully deductible. The same logic holds true and is shown clearly in the ATO Rental properties guide, that if you fly over and the main purpose is for holidaying then the entire flight is not-deductible even if you did an inspection.

Feel free to discuss, I don't mind being wrong :)

"If you fly to inspect your rental property, stay overnight, and return home on the following day, all of the airfare and accommodation expenses would generally be allowed as a deduction."

"If you travel to inspect your rental property and combine this with a holiday, you need to take into account the reasons for your trip. If the main purpose of your trip is to have a holiday and the inspection of the property is incidental to that main purpose, you cannot claim a deduction for the cost of the travel. However, you may be able to claim local expenses directly related to the property inspection and a proportion of accommodation expenses."

Sourced from http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/NAT1729_07.pdf

Situation 3.
Fly to rental property and spend 4 days inspecting and doing minor repairs, then go and spend 3 days relaxing on the beach.

Airfares? Deductible 100%. The intention of the trip was to do the repairs, the holidaying was merely incidental.
Accommodation? 4/7 of the cost deductible.
Hi Kris
I believe this is wrong & you would have to apportion the airfares, as you have done with the accommodation.
Steve

Earlier in the year I went from my base in QLD, to inspect my land in Tasmania. I inspected the property for 2 days (basically difficult access to bottom of 28 acre block, needed 2nd day) and had a further 3 days "circling Tassie" looking for further IPs. Here is what I am thinking of claiming:

1. Car trip from base to airport.
2. 40%% of air fare.
3. 2 days accomodation out of the 5.
4. 40% of car hire expenses.
5. Fuel from airport back to base.

Can I possibly claim the 3 days of IP searching??? Your thought appreciated...:)

Back