HELP - Popping Noise from the Roof Top

I am living in a block of 30 units. Prior to the original developer selling off his last penthouse unit in the block, he installed a series of metal fences on the tiled roof top so as to fence off the area that belonged to the unit (in the words of the strata manager at the time, whom was hired by the owner developer to manage the strata scheme at the commencement, that area on the roof top was marked on the strata plan as belonging to the penthouse unit, however, it was just not fenced off previously).

So the story goes, we as other unit owners in the block, did not know what was happening until after holes were drew and fences were installed.

As I am living in the unit directly below the area, I am now constantly hearing popping/cracking sounds coming off the roof. (It was never like this prior to the installation of the metal fence on the roof top, as I had lived in the place for about 1 year before the installation took place.) Especially during night time, where there would be incidences of loud popping sound in the middle of the night which then wakes me up(around 2/3am).

Right now, I am just not sure what are the available measures that I can take to address this issue?

1) Am I right in saying that this constant popping/cracking sounds are coming from the metal fences installed on the roof top?

2) Can I ask strata to look into the issue and remove the fences as the installation at the first place was not an authorized act?

3) Or if there is any other alternative installation that can be put into place so that the unit above can still fence off the area to their liking and at the same time, I am not affected by this constant popping sound coming from the roof top?

Thanks guys in advance for your generous help!:confused::confused::confused:

Please Help~

Last edited:
The noise is likely to be either the owner opening champane bottles costantly, or it's got something to do with the expansion and contraction of the roof. It may or may not have something to do with the fence. It might only be happening now because it's the hottest month of the year (I don't recall last Feb being as hot where I am).

Before you make demands that the fence be removed, you'd probably want to make sure that this really is the source of the problem. The popping may simply not be something that can be corrected. I doubt that it'll be a real structural issue that devalues the property though.

The roof over my office constantly pops towards the end of hot days. It's either the heat, or we've got a lot of very large birds up there. They're probably canivores as well...

What is the roof made of? The tin roof on my house makes popping noises when the sun hits it in the morning- might be something similar.

What is the roof made of? The tin roof on my house makes popping noises when the sun hits it in the morning- might be something similar.

Rooftop is a flat concrete, tiled area and is apparently the balcony lookout area for the penthouse unit at the top.

Also, wish to ask: which professional should I be in contact with in order to determine the source of the noise?

But I thought, given the rooftop is a flat concrete tiled area, with no apparent popping noises before the installation of the metal fences, the answer should be quite obvious isn't it?

Last edited:

sounds like the metal fence is doing the same. lots of things make noises as they expand and contract due to temperature. my old CRT TV pops in the morning as it warms and pops again in the evening as it cools down.

op - is it that bad it needs attention?

i'm no popping engineer, but you may be able to ground the noise.

Try an architect and ask for advice as to who could "test" it for you or maybe the Master Builders Assoc.

I am only guessing but I think it is different contraction rates between materials.

It could be that they have drilled into the roof to inset the metal posts and now the metal post are cooling at a different rate than the concrete. This means they are moving within the product holding them in place.

op - is it that bad it needs attention?

Unfortunately, the popping comes and goes from time to time, and it is kind getting to my nerves now >.<".......If it is only during certain extreme weather or certain time of the day, that may be ok...but at the moment, it is just popping day-in day-out..:(:(

It could be that they have drilled into the roof to inset the metal posts and now the metal post are cooling at a different rate than the concrete. This means they are moving within the product holding them in place.

Hi Macca,

Yes, I think you have guessed it right. They did drill into the roof to insert metal posts.

I think Macca is spot on the money.

You may find there is an increase in the 'popping noise' when the sun comes out from behind a cloud to prove the theory. The same thing happens with some tin roofs

I think Macca is spot on the money.

You may find there is an increase in the 'popping noise' when the sun comes out from behind a cloud to prove the theory. The same thing happens with some tin roofs

Hi Guys,

Thanks for confirming the source of this 'popping noise'. However, just wondering if any could recommend a way of dealing with this then? What can be possibly done to minimize the noise? Should the metal post be taken out altogether and replaced with a wooden post?:confused:

Thanks heaps for all your help on this issue!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for confirming the source of this 'popping noise'. However, just wondering if any could recommend a way of dealing with this then? What can be possibly done to minimize the noise? Should the metal post be taken out altogether and replaced with a wooden post?:confused:

Thanks heaps for all your help on this issue!

Maybe you could solve the problem by removing the posts, fill the holes, wait and see if it still "pops." If not then you have isolated the cause.

You could then have some base plates made which you could bolt into the roof and stand the posts up within the base plates.

I have seen many patio railings done this way and seems to work OK.

Maybe you could solve the problem by removing the posts, fill the holes, wait and see if it still "pops." If not then you have isolated the cause.

You could then have some base plates made which you could bolt into the roof and stand the posts up within the base plates.

I have seen many patio railings done this way and seems to work OK.

Good suggestion Macca but that may not solve the problem......I would suggest the real issue is the thermal expansion of metal fencing fasteners themselves moving on their attachment points at the support posts.......take out the fasteners and put a rubber gasket or silicone in between the fence and posts ....then re-fasten

I am living in a block of 30 units. Prior to the original developer selling off his last penthouse unit in the block, he installed a series of metal fences on the tiled roof top so as to fence off the area that belonged to the unit (in the words of the strata manager at the time, whom was hired by the owner developer to manage the strata scheme at the commencement, that area on the roof top was marked on the strata plan as belonging to the penthouse unit, however, it was just not fenced off previously).

So the story goes, we as other unit owners in the block, did not know what was happening until after holes were drew and fences were installed.

As I am living in the unit directly below the area, I am now constantly hearing popping/cracking sounds coming off the roof. (It was never like this prior to the installation of the metal fence on the roof top, as I had lived in the place for about 1 year before the installation took place.) Especially during night time, where there would be incidences of loud popping sound in the middle of the night which then wakes me up(around 2/3am).

Right now, I am just not sure what are the available measures that I can take to address this issue?

1) Am I right in saying that this constant popping/cracking sounds are coming from the metal fences installed on the roof top?

2) Can I ask strata to look into the issue and remove the fences as the installation at the first place was not an authorized act?

3) Or if there is any other alternative installation that can be put into place so that the unit above can still fence off the area to their liking and at the same time, I am not affected by this constant popping sound coming from the roof top?

Thanks guys in advance for your generous help!:confused::confused::confused:

Please Help~

Have they installed an a/c units? Pressure release valve etc?

Back