Roof access - looking for help/opinion

I need to do some maintenance work (remove bird nests and install plastic mesh) around some solar panels on the tile roof of a 3 storey 1970s building. I am having trouble getting the solar contractors to come back and do the work, they keep saying they're too busy for the last 3 months, so thinking of doing it myself as one of my hobbies is climbing/playing at height. I have harnesses, ropes, slings, carabiners, helmets, etc.

The building is 9.3m tall from floor to roof, roof has flimsy plastic gutter guards all around it so leaning a ladder on the roof is not an option. No ladder bracket either. Also I can't see any anchors on this roof while standing on top floor balcony, or on the roofs of neighbouring buildings built around the same era.

The questions are:
1. Can roof anchors fall off, or were they not mandatory for buildings in the 70s?
2. How to work safely on a roof without fixed anchors? Are there safe temporary anchor systems that I can use and how do I install them?
3. If I hire a scissor lift to get up the roof do I need a licence to operate it on my own property?
4. If I anchor myself to a scissor lift and fall off, am I likely to topple the scissor lift and have the whole thing collapse on me?

Thanks for all your advice and opinions.

Anchors are not required to be installed even on modern building. But they are often specified for obvious reasons.

Ballantyne T-bar is a temp solution that you clamp/screw to edge of tin and use a sock of sand to throw rope over roof to work on opposite side.
Gutter protection is available as well.

3 storey standard scissor lift will not reach. Need bigger or a EWP. EWP's do require a high risk ticket however and most places check that you have it when hiring
Over 2 storey I would not be using a extension ladder. Is there any balcony's that can be used to reduce climb?
Edit: Should mention technicaly you're not supposed to exit/enter an ewp/scissor when raised.

Thank you so much, Doovalacky! Great to know that anchors are still optional on modern roofs :(

I would love to use the Ballantyne T-bar, except that it is a tile roof :(
Was consider using a sandbag and rope as counterbalance, but not sure how to set it up (ie. get rope over to other side of big wide roof) without using a roof anchor.

There is a top floor balcony that can get me closer, but the space between the balcony railing and roof is very small for a step ladder. I'm also too chicken to step from ladder to roof without some sort of anchor due to awkward angle.

Kennards does have a 32' scissor lift that will reach, and they can drop it off on site :) Good to know that we technically can't enter/exit a raised scissor lift, this is how the solar panels got up to the roof in the first place! Now I can understand why the solar company was not so keen on coming back to this roof.

I don't have a EWP licence :(

Outside the box query :)

Is it possible to access the roof cavity from top floor apartment then from inside the roof space remove some tiles so that you can stand in roof cavity and work?

It would be fiddly, you may need to remove multiple 'holes' of tiles but it is a lot safer.

Thanks Westminister!

I had inspected the roof cavity as well. At the time I was put off by dust, pink batts, and removing multiple tiles (it is a strata) worrying that I might drop something down 3 stories...but now I'm willing to reconsider if there isn't a good option for accessing these solar panels from the outside.

There are a few wooden beams that I can anchor inside the roof cavity to make it safer ;)

I haven't done any work with tile roofs before. Do you know a good technique for removing the tiles from inside the roof without damaging them, and replacing them so that they will be watertight?

Sorry I have no idea.

I know that every 3 or so tiles will be nailed down to the batten timber so you'll need to pull up some of those too.

Ensure you have a roped off area on the ground in case anything does fall - and a person guarding the rope to keep out idiots :)

Thank you so much for the tip about the nail spacing. Lots to consider as removing nails that have been there for 40 years without damaging tiles could be challenging. To put the tiles back would I have to nail it from above (like installing a slate roof)?

Great point about getting someone at the bottom to keep people away :cool:

I'm thinking whether to get a EWP licence myself, or find someone with a yellow card to help with the work. Hmm, decisions...

Three storeys up on a strata building. ..you're joking aren't you? It's not a job for the faint hearted even if it were your ppor.

Consider a truck mounted cherry picker to get you up there.

There's no requirement for a permanent anchor point unless the roof requires regular access eg air conditioning plant. They do make anchor systems for tiled roofs - heightsafety.com.au or sydneyanchorpoints.com.au or solution4u.com.au

I do recommend a working at heights course at very least but they don't cover everything.

For tile roof I find it easier10kN Anchor strap/sling as a temporary solution.
Slide up loose tile in 2nd/3rd row and wrap around roof joist before it crosses wall. Again sock/sand and toss it over roof with rope attached.
Depending on how long etc working sometimes the 1st thing I do is go to peak of roof slide another tile up and use a 10 kn carabiner+strap to stop the rope sliding sideways and rubbing. Plus it then allows 360deg access.

While its more work to do so the philosophy I was trained with is always have the attachment point on the opposite side of roof to location working. If required then put a 2nd at peak once up there.
That way if you do slip only fall distance of legs, and not over side + however much slack is in lanyard.

While if you pick the right tile it should not be necessary to refix, if required do not try to hammer in without pre-drilling hole. 90% chance break tile especially old dry wood. Personally I find pre-drill then screw easier/safer.

Great to know that anchors are still optional on modern roofs
Personally I don't think its great. Especially on tin roofs and the stupid 27deg angles that get mandated by councils these days.

Hi Scott and Doovalacky, thank you so much for the suggestions and the links about anchoring systems! You guys have made my day :)

The rope access website has hit the nail on the head! I think the safest and cheapest solution is to go from the roof void, build an equalized sliding anchor on a few beams, and remove enough tiles to climb through the hole.
Great point about having an anchor point at the peak of the roof - this virtually guarantees that any fall will be factor 0 - 1, less than 5kn for my weight. Abseiling on a dynamic rope, attached to sliding anchor by carabiner will eliminate any slack :)
I totally understand about anchoring to the opposite side of the roof where I'm working, very important for shock absorption of any fall.

Thanks for the tip above removing the 2nd/3rd row tiles first, and predrilling any holes if I have to screw something back. I was worried about crumbling old tile as it is difficult to find replacements.

I'm used to climbing 100m cliffs for sport, so a 10m height doesn't worry me at all. Also familiar with doing little jobs like cleaning and photography on abseil. Looks like its gonna be a fun project after all, and costs me next to nothing. Time to put my collection of carabiners, belay device, slings and ropes to good use.

No worries about 30 degree roofs, as long as you have a couple of fixed multidirectional anchors on it, I'm happy to abseil down it to do your roof maintenance :)

Back