Helping friends into a home

Hi people,

I have friends who have a very strong reliable combined income but are only just getting back on their feet after two messy expensive divorces.

They are mid 40's and have been renting for a couple of years.
The place they are in wil be sold soon, so they are keen to buy elsewhere.

The problem is the time it takes to save enough deposit whilst renting etc etc.

I was wondering how I can help. The thought of either giving them the money via wrap or lease/ buy interested me but I don't
know it would work as a win/win. As you can see I 'm new.

They will need about $400k to buy the house they want.

I would appreciate any help/ideas.

Wayne

Wayne,

I'd be very wary of doing something financially with someone you know. Especially if it's a friend- it can lead to the end of a friendship.

A wrap might be a help. If you're interested in wraps as a concept, introduce them to someone who's done some wraps- and as for a few lessons in the process. Like, "are they suitable wrap prospects"? "Can they pay"? "Will they default"?

But if they don't have any deposit, it might be difficult for a wrapper to do something with.

I know people in Sydney who own Investment Properties- but live in renatla properties themselves, because they can rent a much higher standard of property (speaking units) than they could possibly buy for the same $$.

Hiya

If they service OK, then 20 k for a deposit and prob 18 k for stamps and legals and they are in.

Cant give em the 20 k either coz it needs to be "saved" but the other 18 k can be gifted

ta

rolf

Guys,
Thanks for the reply.
Your right about friends and money. I was hoping for a win- win result in the short and long term. Their income position is $150k gross, $2k debt, $5K in bank, Gov employees. Rent $1400.00 pm.
Getting tired of renting and moving when property goes up for sale.

All in all I think they are a sound risk and will need around 350 to 400k to get what they want.

Is there a swicthed on place to go to learn about vendor finance, lease buy & wraps. Who do you stay away from?

Regards

Wayne

Hello Wayne

I know your post is a couple of monthes old, but couldn't help putting in my 2 cents worth.

First of all: your intentions are honourable, however if there is one thing in this life that i have learned , it is that money buys you neither friendship nor loyalty !!!!

I would like to live in a million dollar house.. but I can't afford it !
Likewise your friends would like a $ 400K house.

As you said , they have both been through a very messy & expensive divorce, ( I've yet to see a cheap clean one !)

$ 150 K combined income. Yes I can see them at the back of the
Queue at the soup kitchen.

Just a little story........

In October 1997..........

My brother in-law ( and best mate) was in allsorts. He had AGC on the phone,car repayments, bills coming out of his ears and constantly had his head in his hands.
He also worked for me and averaged a $1000. per week as a contractor.

I approached my mother who had money stashed away for a rainy day. With my honourable intentions I helped make that day a downpour. I brokered a deal whereby my mother agreed to pay all debts (both my sister and brother in-law) and would be repaid with interest over a six year period. A win win situation for all.
I even negotiated a $7000.00 bill owed to his accountant who was happy to accept $3500.00 knowing there was no likielihood
of seeing this fellow pay his bill otherwise.

In total $ 43,350.00

1st year: I deducted payments as per our ageement, My mother was receiving interest on her money, the pressure was eased on my brother -inlaw and everyone was happy.

November 1998

My brother in law walked out on his family and on the same day
finished work with me : without notice. To his credit he continued
to make regular payments for the following 2 years.

His idea was that he'd paid half and that was the end of his obligations. Even though his wife was not working and was a single mother and despite the knowledge that If I hadn't helped out he would have been facing bankruptcy.

My mother ended up going to a solicitor , I was present and he told me in no uncertain terms that.......... I was naieve!!

My mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and I even spoke with my former brother inlaw to get him to at least repay the balance of the principle ($13 k) He agreed then renegged.

My mother died (in 2000) with this money being owed to her and two days before her death she said "he's gotton away with it."

I told my mother from the outset that I would guarantee that she would get her money back. I am going wear this $ 13 k and think of it as a cheap lesson .

I'm sure there's hundreds of stories out there where people have
tried to help others only to have a situation come back and bite them on the bum.

As Judge Judy said on one of her shows: NO GOOD DEAD GOES UNPUNISHED !!!!!

So Wayne if you get to the end of this lengthy note, sit back and hope that your'e friend's new marriage is a healthy , happy one,
knowing with such a good income and a little bit of time, patience and savings they will be able to afford their own home and have you around for a beer and a barbie.

meanwhile ... you'll be sitting on another IP waiting for the next rise in the property cycle and making a killing

Jeez I can ramble on.............CHEERS!

Andrew,
Thanks for your concern. I have not proceeded any further with my friends. I really don't know anything about vendor finance anyway.

They say "it's the thought that counts"

Cheers

Wayne S

What about a hybrid wrap.

Finance company lends them say 90%, you lend them the other 10% on a five year loan with interest at say 9%. The loan is set up in such a way that if they default on payments to either party, then both loans are considered to be in default so you do not lose out having the smaller loan, which can sometimes be a down side with vendor finance where people renege on the smaller loan.

Best if they can negotiate to get a place at slightly below current market (live in hope!) price to allow for a higher valuation after year 5 or sooner to take out your small loan ASAP. Get them to add value by some renovations they do themselves.

If this does not work, they will have to do what the rest of us do and downsize or buy within their means. They are paying too much in rent at present - live somewhere more affordable and save, save, save!

PM

Whatever you do, however you help them. If it involves a substantial amount of money, see a solicitor and get a contract drawn up between the two parties. Cover every possible eventuality for both parties.
It might be worth the paper its written on, but its better than not having it.

Back