Helpp Needed!! To Re-Paint or Not to Re-Paint

We have just bought our 2nd property (a 3 bedroom house) :D:D. The previous tenants were heavy smokers:(. Our property manager has said that the smoke has caused the walls to discolor and the odor is strong. She believes that a repaint will mask the smell and improve appeal (quote is about $3000. Do you think a good clean should do the trick or should we opt to get it re-painted? The house is about 10 years old. She reckons repainting would add about $30 per week to the rent and reduce vacancy period. Are there any tips for overcoming this without repainting? Thanks in advance!

If you can have it repainted for $3K that comes to $3 per week interest just on that $3K (if you borrow to do it).

It is a no-brainer... assuming she is right and you can get another $30 per week.

I'd give it a good clean with sugar soap whether or not you repaint. It may remove the smell, may improve the look of the place without repainting.

But for $3K, I would be painting, and writing into the next else that no smoking is allowed in the house. At least that might make the tenant think before lighting up inside.

Also, if you have carpets, they will hold the smell, and curtains. You might have to ditch the lot.

Like the others have said, sugar soap. Ensure you do the ceilings as well. How about giving the place a good air spray once you have sugar soaped it. They sell some cans in the supermarket that is meant to kill bad smells, etc. Spray away, leave the windows slightly open for a couple of days, go back in and see how you go. For 3k, I would paint myself and spend the cash on a holiday.

Also steam clean the dam carpets.

Can you guess/find out when was the property painted last time? If the painting is 10 year old as well, you better get it painted.

Was in same situation and didn't hesitate to paint. Washed walls with ss and hose and buckets etc lots of foul yellow brown just kept oozing out.
Need new curtains. Don't know about carpet.
Hopefully it gets rid of most of the smell / toxic leakage. 3K not bad.

3K is quite cheap, especially seeing as the undercoat you use to block the seepage of nicotine costs a bomb.

As others have said. Use sugar soap and wash it off. It's the worst job ever. For ceilings I sprayed it on with a garden sprayer filled with sugar soap and warm water. Scrub it off with a broom then a rag (depending how bad it is). Ours was TERRIBLE!:eek:

You'll be hard pressed to get tenants in a nicotine stained house (even smokers).

Make sure the painters use a blocking sealer (like Zinzer) otherwise the nicotine seeps through the paint.

Also get the carpets cleaned and wash the curtains etc.

Apart from the increased rent - which makes applying this fix a no-brainer, anyway - I think that if it doesn't appear to a tenant that you care about your property, they're less likely to care about its condition, too. So I think your chances of attracting a good quality tenant are better when your property is in pristine condition.

As per the crowd, sugar soap everything including timberwork to get rid of the stench, carpets to be steam cleaned and deodorized (after the painting). New blinds sympathetic to your new colour scheme.

Most of the work will need to be capitalised so not a one off deduction. You might replace the carpets if there are wear signs and make the place present in the best possible light.

Speak to a qs and get a depreciation report before and after to maximise your claims.

A house of heavy smokers is just like having a fire.....but you cannot get insurance!

Horrible job to get rid if the smell and stains.....completely covers every fixture and fitting as well as walls and ceiling.

As other poster have said - clean, clean and clean - it will take a lot of elbow grease and time.
Then paint and profit.....get it rented and earning income.
It will cost you but not much if you do it yourself....even a contractor will be OK if you do not have time.

But - make sure on the new lease it is a "outdoor smoking only" allowed.....

Good luck!

Thanks for all your input guys. Will definitely go according to what the majority have mentioned. Just got to find the time to go and do some cleaning with exams coming up... The problems of a young investor :eek: :eek:

Thanks to all once again.

Thanks for all your input guys. Will definitely go according to what the majority have mentioned. Just got to find the time to go and do some cleaning with exams coming up... The problems of a young investor :eek: :eek:

Thanks to all once again.

As others have said, I'd just get it repainted, carpets cleaned and new blinds etc if needed. If cash is a problem, then try cleaning yourself with sugar soap and see what the result is. You could leave doors and windows open as well when you are cleaning and air the place. Does your property manager do regular inspections? (ie every 6 mths?) I'd ask her to once you get this place relet again. Ours does an inspection after 3 mths of a new tenant to make sure things are in order. All the best with it. Regards Jason.

Back