High tenant turnover can result in more $$$

Say there was a $20 increase per week = $1040 for the year. If the letting fees were around $1000 would it be worth doing?
say normal rent is $480 and this property is achieving $500 per week due to sourcing new tenants.
(forget GST for now as it complicates things and I'm just setting an example).

I'm reading that as a potential $40 gain for the year.

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not. :rolleyes:

I'll take the same tenants for $500p/w thanks.

so would I in reality.

Just gauging general opinions on this topic to see if investors may be able to see a benefit.

Looks like a definite NO for SS demographic which we predicted anyway.

I'm reading that as a potential $40 gain for the year.

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not. :rolleyes:

It's an example to see if investors would see a benefit in a break even point.
forget the $40 - say it's even.

I get your view point regardless.

Only when there is a real non renewal period.
Ie tenant has decided to not renewal lease, or there is a break lease or it is a new property acquired that is under rented, or a tenant has an entire folder of breach notices and the landlord has instructed us to not renewal the lease because they have had enough..... etc....

I would not "generate" a vacancy by not renewing a lease for no good reason.

In reality, there are enough natural vacancies in a real estate office to keep us on our feet with re-leasing so we do not ever need to manufacture them just for the hell of it.
In-fact we get some breathing space when the office "vacant property" board is clean ;)

Also, in the real world leases are renewed, not renewed only under landlord instructions.

If you've got a property sitting on the market for 2 months because you're trying for a higher rent, you've also got to remember there's tenants that won't see the as at all or those that have seen it for weeks and think "what's wrong with the property?".

Achieving a higher rent isn't always the best option.

The best option is to have a tenant who's paying market rent, looks after the place and doesn't cause too many headaches.

Going to have to disagree too.

If you've got a property sitting on the market for 2 months because you're trying for a higher rent, you've also got to remember there's tenants that won't see the as at all or those that have seen it for weeks and think "what's wrong with the property?".

Achieving a higher rent isn't always the best option.

The best option is to have a tenant who's paying market rent, looks after the place and doesn't cause too many headaches.

Going to have to disagree too.

Yes that is an obvious objection by investors and it was considered in original proposal.

My original example was to take the risk down to zero vacancies to see what other objections came up.

In the absence of 2 month vacancies, Agent letting fees were then considered and most people thought it would not be worth having an increase even if the agent generated their fees via the increased rent.
All theoretical - I was interested more in opinions, at least of this particular demographic!

Achieving a higher rent is always preferable, but not always profitable.

Also, another way to put it, legally in Vic you're only allowed to do inspections in the last two weeks of the tenancy (unless the tenants agree). So really, you've got 2 weeks to hope for a much higher rent, depending on vacancy rates you could have a property sitting vacant for 3-4 weeks because you're trying to achieve a higher rent - therefore wiping out your profit margin.

If the market is good, then there's potential that it's worthwhile, but very much a case by case basis.

Keep in mind that although there is a high turnover of tenants, ie once a year, the vacancy periods should still be close to ZERO if marketed effectively and early enough.

disagree totally, unless the property is in a really high demand area, and I mean high demand, then chances of zero vacancy are very slim,

often good applicants will want to move in a certain date, and then extend a few days,
its harder to rent out a place when someone is living there, for the most parrt,

also most of my properties are in low to medium demand area, so on average, my properties are vacant anywhere beween 2-4 weeks every time they leave

disagree totally, unless the property is in a really high demand area, and I mean high demand, then chances of zero vacancy are very slim,

often good applicants will want to move in a certain date, and then extend a few days,
its harder to rent out a place when someone is living there, for the most parrt,

also most of my properties are in low to medium demand area, so on average, my properties are vacant anywhere beween 2-4 weeks every time they leave

And realistically it can't be zero. Most PMs will allow at least a week in between so that they can do outgoing inspection and arrange extra cleaning if necessary

Now why would you even consider the cost of achieving a higher rent? The rent is higher, end of story - the owner wins :) tenant pays more rent :eek:

Interesting isn't it.

Testing it on social media to see what types of responses there are there.

So far - one objection from a tenant view point - it will drive rents to unaffordable levels.
The question is not "reactive enough" for social media, it needs to be linked to terrorism or people poisoning their food or something that will stimulate more of a discussion for that market LOL Property and rents is too boring :)
We'll see what happens there but good to know what the "fear" is before using it for marketing.

And realistically it can't be zero. Most PMs will allow at least a week in between so that they can do outgoing inspection and arrange extra cleaning if necessary

We rent heaps of properties with ZERO vacancies or close to it.
Tenant's have been secured even within 12 hours of advertising.

2-4 weeks of advertising is normal but while someone is paying the rent in that time. This is used to our advantage if we are able to and there are no issues stopping us from doing this.
It takes a day to clean and arrange an exit inspection.

Vacant properties are a liability to a business.

There are lots of circumstances where zero vacancies are achieved, not always but we push for it where the circumstances are favourable.

Xenia, you should send Simon a message and ask if he can delete this thread because you look like a goose and it will show up in Google.

Reactions: oc1
Ha ha ha - thanks Dex but people form opinions of others regardless of what you do. I would still be a goose to some whether it's deleted or not.
You are entitled to think that xx

I have to agree with the others, much prefer a long term tenant with incremental rent increases. In addition to all that's been said re potential vacancy periods, market downturns, new tenants being an unknown, all the fees involved in re-letting etc, I will add one more - frequent tenant turnover substantially increases the wear and tear on your property.

The extra rent would not come close to covering the collection of individually minor things that need fixing from frequent moving in and out.

Back