High Yielding Shares Again

I've bought in the dip. If it falls below 5000 I'll buy a lot. I stopped DCA and just buy more units when the price is cheap. I'm in it for the very long term so can go down this path not for everyone. I just buy in in 10K lots. I also started a commercial property portfolio a few weeks ago.

Incidentally, October 1 is nigh and looking forward to the quarterly dividend pay out. Last quarter was about 8% annualised from memory.

In 10 years we'll see if all this was a good idea :eek:

Oscar
I don't think you need to wait 10 years from what I have read:)

I am now looking at dips and pretty much doing the same investing/buying little chunks of shares and spreading this around a little. I wont be trading, I don't have the skill or mindset for this one.

Probably just stick to blue chip.

Also, what do you guys think is the best way to invest in international shares?

MTR:)

MTR , International broad market and sector ETFs on the ASX, (I hold VTS and IXI) or if you want direct shares most brokerages can handle the major bourses, brokerage around 1% or so...can probably find cheaper but I don't trade so doesn't really bother me. I hold BRK.B in SMSF and Family trust, and may want to pick up some other NYSE stocks in the future.

Interesting thread.

I've just started SMSF and intending to put into 10 different blue chips for long term hold, whichever stocks have value.

The transfer will probably happen end of October, will keep reading in the meantime.

Got to spend money on stuff you like every so often else what is point of investing and having cash? and without people splashing the companies earning would be depressed and it would be bad for us stock holder :D

it can be super profitable observing what people spend money on and buy business that rake in from that perspective :)

Roe
Been reading some of your posts with interest, seems you have been doing very well trading. Have you been doing this for many years.

Cheers
MTR:)

This thread has been a great read.

Im keen on getting seriously involved with investing in the stock market.

I'm not interested in trading. Im keen on investing for the long term.

As such, I'm not too concerned about such and such company being 10% undervalued etc etc. I want to buy great companies that have a significant competitive advantage and hopefully will be sticking around for a while.

Apple
Samsung
Google
Facebook
Disney
Nike

etc etc

Also trying to put considerable thought into some tech based companies. Particularly ones that have yet to IPO (Uber, AirBnB etc etc). Their ability to scale adds to considerable upside.

currency fluctuations, especially lower AUD has an effect on foreign holders, especially as they don't get the benefit of franking credits.

Make sure you account for this, in your analysis.

Apple
Samsung
Google
Facebook
Disney
Nike

etc etc

Also trying to put considerable thought into some tech based companies. Particularly ones that have yet to IPO (Uber, AirBnB etc etc). Their ability to scale adds to considerable upside.

There is going to be several IPO public offerings in the US very soon,one only has to look at Alibaba a 25 billion listing on the NYSE,then you have the Wanda property group that have blended in with Chinese internet high volume companies Baidu - Tencet to form one e-commerce company and if Chinese authoritarian gives more control to the inside management then these new companies will be very hard to compete with on every world market,something that may change the face value of the companies that are listed..imho..

..quote..As of June 16 2014, Dalian Wanda owned 88 Wanda Plazas, 55 five-star hotels, 1,247 cinema screens, 78 department stores, and 84 karaoke centres throughout China

Johnpendles if you are looking to businesses with large ongoing competitive advantages and economic moats id steer clear of tech companies...many are one major technological innovation away from share price oblivion. The large IPOs are really fully costed and it's just a punt.

If you are looking for set and forget, look to consumer staples or just buy the index. I'd rather Nestle, Proctor and Gamble, Johnson and Johnson share certs in the top drawer for 20 years rather than Apple, Samsung or Facebook...but that's just me I suppose.

Johnpendles if you are looking to businesses with large ongoing competitive advantages and economic moats id steer clear of tech companies...many are one major technological innovation away from share price oblivion. The large IPOs are really fully costed and it's just a punt.

If you are looking for set and forget, look to consumer staples or just buy the index. I'd rather Nestle, Proctor and Gamble, Johnson and Johnson share certs in the top drawer for 20 years rather than Apple, Samsung or Facebook...but that's just me I suppose.

I agree. Just look what has happened to say Myspace and Blackberry? As soon as the next new thing gets big, they're unlikely to last. I guess tech companies could work well if you get in and out at the exact right time though. I wouldn't have them as buy and hold long-term unless they're massive like IBM and Microsoft.

Morgan Stanley was holding an ?overweight? recommendation on BHP Billiton prior to a site visit with a $44 a share price target.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/mark...ns-to-weigh-20141002-3h2t0.html#ixzz3Ewsfcxgq

Is this for real? BHP at $44?

That's probably a 12 month price forecast. It was only a few weeks ago that it was near $40.00.

I suppose a falling Aussie dollar might help them in the medium term once the sellers have stopped selling.

Up till now iron ore demand in China has been fairly steady, but due to increasing supply (something BHP is partly responsible for) the price has fallen.
Could be good for BHP in the long term, forcing out high cost producers or snapping them up.
Goodness knows what will happen to the price of BHP in the short to medium term if China iron ore demand declines as it's expected to do.

That's probably a 12 month price forecast. It was only a few weeks ago that it was near $40.00.

I suppose a falling Aussie dollar might help them in the medium term once the sellers have stopped selling.

Up till now iron ore demand in China has been fairly steady, but due to increasing supply (something BHP is partly responsible for) the price has fallen.
Could be good for BHP in the long term, forcing out high cost producers or snapping them up.
Goodness knows what will happen to the price of BHP in the short to medium term if China iron ore demand declines as it's expected to do.

I am praying that you are right. I recently purchased a 15000 BHP share parcel at 35.77.

So what? You're $36k down. Wont you just have to put your retirement off 2 extra days to pick that $$$ back up? :p

pinkboy

36k down is pretty painful especially when it occurs rapidly. My entire share portfolio is down about 6% which adds to the woes. And these are all blue chip holdings ANZ, WOW and BHP which adds to the disappointment.

BHP

From The Fool

1. The lower dollar boosts the repatriated profits of companies with significant overseas operations.

2. Rising import prices will bring some relief for Australian-based manufacturers.

3. A lower dollar makes export prices more attractive for overseas buyers, boosting our domestic output.

BHP has said that for every one cent the Australian dollar falls against the US dollar, its annual net profit (after tax) should go up by $100m.

Last edited:
Back