High Yielding Shares Again

I find the free emails from the Fool to be quite informative and entertaining. Havent parted with my cash yet for a subscription but feel that this will happen one day in response to their relentless email campaign. Don't know about their predictive accuracy when compared to free analysis from the various online brokers.

36k down is pretty painful especially when it occurs rapidly. My entire share portfolio is down about 6% which adds to the woes. And these are all blue chip holdings ANZ, WOW and BHP which adds to the disappointment.

China, have you considered buying index fund or index etfs? You seem to be risk averse type, so why not just buy low costs indexes of few different parts of world like Australia, the US and emerging markets? You get diversification and own best companies around the world without individual company risks. Over long term 20-30 years low costs indexes have comfortably beaten most funds managers ( individual or professional).

If you want passive retirement you can't go wrong with index option IMHO.

That is actually my retirement plan.

Cheers
Oracle.

China, have you considered buying index fund or index etfs? You seem to be risk averse type, so why not just buy low costs indexes of few different parts of world like Australia,

You cant buy those and then resell them for $10k more in a couple of weeks, therefore they're too high risk. :cool:

You cant buy those and then resell them for $10k more in a couple of weeks, therefore they're too high risk. :cool:

Ah, I see.

Unless it makes you a quick buck it's too risky.

Make a quick buck and have plenty of excitement at the same time. Can't go wrong with that.

Cheers
Oracle.

China, have you considered buying index fund or index etfs? You seem to be risk averse type, so why not just buy low costs indexes of few different parts of world like Australia, the US and emerging markets? You get diversification and own best companies around the world without individual company risks. Over long term 20-30 years low costs indexes have comfortably beaten most funds managers ( individual or professional).

If you want passive retirement you can't go wrong with index option IMHO.

That is actually my retirement plan.

Cheers
Oracle.

I agree. If my current holdings pick up , I think I will liquidate and buy some VAS and AFI.

That's probably a 12 month price forecast. It was only a few weeks ago that it was near $40.00.

I suppose a falling Aussie dollar might help them in the medium term once the sellers have stopped selling.

Up till now iron ore demand in China has been fairly steady, but due to increasing supply (something BHP is partly responsible for) the price has fallen.
Could be good for BHP in the long term, forcing out high cost producers or snapping them up.
Goodness knows what will happen to the price of BHP in the short to medium term if China iron ore demand declines as it's expected to do.

This sounds like a motley fool post.

Yes, but maybe no. But then again, if you subscribe we will suggest X (but of course pay first)

Yes, but maybe no. But then again, if you subscribe we will suggest X (but of course pay first)

IV, what do you think of the potential direction of BHP share price? I understand that certain fundamentals are not looking great for BHP at present but do you think I will get my money back or even profit from BHP in the next twelve months?

Magic%20Ball

You know what Aaron said about trying to pick tops and bottoms, you just get smelly fingers :D

Well I'm not invested in BHP because I have no idea where their share price will be. Was just replying to a poster on a forum pointing out some things.

First point supply side influence on the price of iron ore due to increased production with the second possibility of reduced demand yet to be felt balanced against a possible fall in the exchange rate being of benefit to BHP.

IV, what do you think of the potential direction of BHP share price? I understand that certain fundamentals are not looking great for BHP at present but do you think I will get my money back or even profit from BHP in the next twelve months?

lol I have absolutely no idea when it comes to BHP.

I don't have any confidence in creating any form of enduring IV for the company.

It sells resources.
How do I know what price it will sell them for next year? the year after? In 5 yrs time?
What will be the movement between its production schedule and cost schedule?
What currency are we talking about (BHP produces in other countries)?
What resource are we talking about?
Whats its hedging?
Is this just currency hedge or production hedge? (ie has it forward sold some of its future production? if so has it hedged the currency on the future production?)
Mine life?

Its such a black box to me.

The only thing I can state with a reasonable degree of confidence, is that the market believes that both RIO and BHP hold quality resource mines at low cost of production. This means that they should be the last guys standing (as others go bankrupt).

I have no direct resource exposure (but I do have some indirect share exposure through mining services companies)

Well I'm not invested in BHP because I have no idea where their share price will be. Was just replying to a poster on a forum pointing out some things.

First point supply side influence on the price of iron ore due to increased production with the second possibility of reduced demand yet to be felt balanced against a possible fall in the exchange rate being of benefit to BHP.

Motley fool can be very very dangerous.

Some of their articles are useful.
But if you notice they, over time, cover both sides of the equation.

As time goes by, the winner is highlighted (Yet they took a bet each way).

Don't believe me?

Use google finance, and look at UK stocks. For some reason google finance picks up mostly just motley fool articles, so go through it.

You will see what I mean.

A great marketing strategy, I give them 100% for marketing intelligence to promote their brand.

But then I don't own shares in their company, there is no personal profit motive for me.
So I just tell it how I see it.

I've bought in the dip. If it falls below 5000 I'll buy a lot. I stopped DCA and just buy more units when the price is cheap. I'm in it for the very long term so can go down this path not for everyone. I just buy in in 10K lots. I also started a commercial property portfolio a few weeks ago.

Incidentally, October 1 is nigh and looking forward to the quarterly dividend pay out. Last quarter was about 8% annualised from memory.

In 10 years we'll see if all this was a good idea :eek:

October is here, do you get the pay out or re-invest dividends

The Australian version of Motley Fool seems to me as nothing short of wish wash which gradually morphs, mid article, into a sales pitch. I.e. it's nothing but spam. There is never any content there. When using google finance I wish I could ban the Motley Fool from the list of "news updates" that come up on the right hand side.

There's the occasional exception to this. I found this article to contain very good advice:

http://www.fool.com.au/2014/06/18/what-ive-learned-about-investing/

October is here, do you get the pay out or re-invest dividends

The money came in on October 2nd. All re invested in the fund (I guess that's a form of DCA once every quarter). The last 4 quarters have yielded something around 5.5% on average. I'm pretty good with that.

dopped in 30K during the recent dip.

Back