High Yielding Shares Again

Thanks all - Kind of makes sense.
I have opened an online Interactive brokers account and will buy some of the ETF and see how things go.

Blacky

The index fund is just that it follows an index like the Dow Jones DJI, All ordinaries XAO what ever the index is and owns and adjusts the same amount of shares of that index.
Hope I make sense.

Hi Blacky

From Vanguard

Large ETF providers in Australia are

BlackRock
State Street Global Advisors
Vanguard

Hope that helps

One of the other advantages of ETF is it is more tax efficient than normal index fund due to the in-kind transactions that ETF does with the underlying fund.

You can find more details here

Secondly, again I could be wrong but by buying ETF's through stockbroker I can arrange margin loan with stockbroker and use some leverage to increase my overall portfolio returns which I am not sure how easy it is to do with index funds.

Cheers,
Oracle.

I don't like the iron ore sector at all. They are price takers, and can't do anything when china softens as it is now, apart from flooding the market with more iron ore to drive out other competitors

I believe that everyone thinks BHP and RIO "will have to go up" simply because BHP is the "big australian." It's apparently the most inherited stock in Australia, and has a history of doing so well.

Unfortunately history doesn't necessarily repeat itself. Unlike the S&P500, the ASX200 index still hasn't surpassed it's 2007 highs. They were so high because of BHP and RIO being so highly valued because of the mining boom.

The Australian economy has begun the great divergence away from mining and into other economic areas.

Just my opinion, but if you haven't made a loss, or much of one, I would consider selling out of BHP / making it an underweight position in your portfolio. I don't mind trading the iron ore stocks, but investing in them is different

Just my opinion, but if you haven't made a loss, or much of one, I would consider selling out of BHP / making it an underweight position in your portfolio. I don't mind trading the iron ore stocks, but investing in them is different

I am waiting for my chance to get out, hopefully with some profit. It was looking much bleaker two-three weeks ago. My BHP holdings are still 5% down from when I bought a large parcel at 35.77 about six weeks ago. My entire portfolio of WOW, ANZ and BHP is down about 3%.

I am waiting for my chance to get out, hopefully with some profit. It was looking much bleaker two-three weeks ago. My BHP holdings are still 5% down from when I bought a large parcel at 35.77 about six weeks ago. My entire portfolio of WOW, ANZ and BHP is down about 3%.

Here's BHP and the ASX 200 over 6 weeks

Attachments

• BHP-ASX 200.JPG
    BHP-ASX 200.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 111
I think i'll buy BHP when it hits 25.00, shouldn't take more than a few months

Why wait till it hits $25 and then buy and then make a profit. There is a short cut since you already know it is only a matter of time before it reaches $25.

Put your house, life savings on shorting BHP. This is your golden opportunity to make a fortune. The longer you wait the lower your profits from short will be. Think about it!

Cheers,
Oracle.

Why wait till it hits $25 and then buy and then make a profit. There is a short cut since you already know it is only a matter of time before it reaches $25.

Put your house, life savings on shorting BHP. This is your golden opportunity to make a fortune. The longer you wait the lower your profits from short will be. Think about it!

Cheers,
Oracle.

Thank you for the kind words of wisdom

Gees, why has WOW dropped sharply on opening today?

Gees, why has WOW dropped sharply on opening today?

Woolworths' sales rose 3 per cent to $16.15 billion in the three months to October 5, the slowest rate of quarterly growth in more than five years, as lower petrol volumes and weak general merchandise sales compounded slowing growth in food and liquor.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/reta...owth-slows-20141103-11fxmg.html#ixzz3HxkKoxNT

I think from memory Coles reported sales increase of 4% last week. This is just short term market noise. If you are looking to top up WOW this is a good opportunity IMHO.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/reta...owth-slows-20141103-11fxmg.html#ixzz3HxkKoxNT

I think from memory Coles reported sales increase of 4% last week. This is just short term market noise. If you are looking to top up WOW this is a good opportunity IMHO.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Thanks for this timely input. It confirms my thoughts exactly because overall, I think WOW is a safe long term bet. I have placed a WOW buy order to match the exact amount of my current holdings.

Thanks for this timely input. It confirms my thoughts exactly because overall, I think WOW is a safe long term bet. I have placed a WOW buy order to match the exact amount of my current holdings.

I just cant push the button on more WOW, given what has happened in the UK to the once unassailable positions of Tesco and Sainsburys at the hands of Aldi and Lidl and the like, I think WOW and WES might be in for significantly tougher times in the next decade. Aldi has doubled its market share in Oz the last 5 years to 10%. WOW may be a value trap at this price.
My 2 cents only of course :D

Back