High Yielding Shares Again

This is threatening my 5-6 year anticipated retirement horizon. I have large holdings in both.

China, as much as I hate to see you losing money..I have to admit it is something I am very pleased to see because it is times like this when if you hold your nerve you can make a lot of money long term.

Buying when there is fear and panic is best time to buy to boost your returns long term.

Again, you have to be in it for the long term to truly benefit.

Always, think of buying shares as buying items from your supermarket. Buy heaps when things are on genuine sale. The higher sale/discount the better it is!

Wish you all the best!

Cheers,
Oracle.

Oracle, the main problem is that I have already bought in at what I thought was the last sale and within months of purchase it is down 11%. Just under a third of my net worth is in BHP, ANZ and WOW and this portfolio is down around 11%. As I am still earning income but with a 5-6 year retirement horizon, I feel that I definitely need to hold on.

Oracle, the main problem is that I have already bought in at what I thought was the last sale and within months of purchase it is down 11%. Just under a third of my net worth is in BHP, ANZ and WOW and this portfolio is down around 11%. As I am still earning income but with a 5-6 year retirement horizon, I feel that I definitely need to hold on.

I feel your pain China.

All I can say is if you believe in the company, it's management and future prospects of the business than you should not sell. The worst time to sell is during market sell off. Just because someone gives you a quote everyday does not mean you have to act on it.

Do you go out everyday to get a quote on what your PPOR or IP is worth? Even if it is worth say less than what you bought it for you don't act on selling it. In the same way you don't have to act on your share purchases just because you get to see a quote on it everyday.

Enjoy the dividends and buy more when you have spare cash. BHP hasn't stopped its mine just because it's share price is down today. ANZ hasn't stopped writing new mortgages just because it's share price is down today and neither has WOW stopped selling groceries because it's share price is down.

If still in doubt just go to any Woolies and/or ANZ branch and see the customers queuing up and that should make you feel good.

Cheers,
Oracle.

I feel your pain China.

All I can say is if you believe in the company, it's management and future prospects of the business than you should not sell. The worst time to sell is during market sell off. Just because someone gives you a quote everyday does not mean you have to act on it.

Do you go out everyday to get a quote on what your PPOR or IP is worth? Even if it is worth say less than what you bought it for you don't act on selling it. In the same way you don't have to act on your share purchases just because you get to see a quote on it everyday.

Enjoy the dividends and buy more when you have spare cash. BHP hasn't stopped its mine just because it's share price is down today. ANZ hasn't stopped writing new mortgages just because it's share price is down today and neither has WOW stopped selling groceries because it's share price is down.

If still in doubt just go to any Woolies and/or ANZ branch and see the customers queuing up and that should make you feel good.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Very well said!

Best time to buy is when others are selling out. Im averaging down my holdings when opportunities like this come about. Im not in BHP or WOW though, however it is interesting to watch and get a feel for it.

pinkboy

And if you don't believe and you thought the lines on the chart would do what they had done previously...:confused:

All I can say redwing is the theory of tech analysis working for long period of time hasn't been proven to work. Eventually, every indicator outlives it's use by date. There are too many smart people out there trying to out do other smart people. There are people who do this for a living and have access to resources that you could never have.

Cheers,
Oracle.

This is the hardest emotion to learn and overcome but we were in a similar boat many years ago, down by 20 - 25 % now we are paid back over 200% of what put in every year and growing. Now we look forward to the down turns.

I hope these help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkpQ4PpId4

Chapters 8 & 20 of the intelligent investor

Attachments

• Chapter 8 and 20.pdf
    216.8 KB · Views: 246
I feel your pain China.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Spot on Oracle. I am close to topping up on BHP and SVW...Already overweight in WOW unfortunately but might show some interest sub 28 which it may see :)

This is threatening my 5-6 year anticipated retirement horizon. I have large holdings in both.

imageChart.axd

Just keep an eye of the spot price for what miners produce ,the price drops each week,you may have to add a few years before you write your biography and retire if the price goes down more as it will..imho..

29.270 -5.34% 29.260 29.300 30.590 30.590 29.260

imageChart.axd

Just keep an eye of the spot price for what miners produce ,the price drops each week,you may have to add a few years before you write your biography and retire if the price goes down more as it will..imho..

29.270 -5.34% 29.260 29.300 30.590 30.590 29.260

Very serious volume the last couple days.

All large mining services took a hit too as a result - MND, CDD, BKN, NWH etc.

Contrarians will be buying in soon.

pinkboy

lol try holding onto
*VET
*MCS

In the UK
*TESCO
*J Sainsbury.

Hasn't been a good two months for me

I'm not sure that's in the spirit of this thread......

pinkboy

More to the point, it's not in the spirit of this forum. This place is at its best when people post real numbers when their investments have both done well - and poorly. So we can all learn from the psychological challenges involved and we can help each other.

If we just throw rocks at people when they divulge this stuff, no-one will learn anything. That's not why I'm here.

Perhaps Jamie_ needs to post up a list of all his latest investments so we can all laugh at him and tear him down - just so he can understand how it feels...

BTW I loaded up on VAS first thing this morning - lets see how that pans out!

lol try holding onto
*VET
*MCS

In the UK
*TESCO
*J Sainsbury.

Hasn't been a good two months for me

I hope that BHP and WOW are not like TESCO, Sainsbury but I guess no one knows.

Around the time of GFC, I held on to two stocks called ABC and BNB and sold out just before they turned to dust but I was much younger then and the numbers involved were much smaller.

Back