High Yielding Shares Again

Yep, VHY started the year at around $65.79 and is now at around $63, so down around 4% on price

Not sure why
VHY is currently showing a current shareholder return of 26.5% over the year.
hence the request for a link or additional info

Yep, VHY started the year at around $65.79 and is now at around $63, so down around 4% on price

Not sure why hence the request for a link or additional info

Agreed - no idea where the 26% came from.

Even the profile on Vanguards webpage doesn't show that figure anywhere.

Showing 15% over the life of the product.

Blacky

I've made a good return this year from VTS (US total market, unhedged) due to the dual effect of the falling AUD vs USD and the US market hitting all time highs.

I've sold out of my holding now, and put some aside for buying the new Vanguard fund VGS (all world ex-Australia) and some into the currency etf USD in the meantime due to my view that the dollar will continue to fall a while longer. I believe there will be a pullback in the US soon, and am waiting for that, but still want to profit from the USD in the meantime. *

VAS hasn't performed as well, but I have a much smaller holding in that due to my distrust of the high proportion of resource stocks in the Australian index

*completely my opinion and not financial advice

Ok so it's a cherry picked figure that represents a single year's performance, not something useful like annual performance over a longer time frame. Who cares about that

Completely my opinion - VHY may continue to outperform the broader index for a few years or so, but not much longer. Australian companies will soon have to start cutting their dividends unless earnings growth start to pick up significantly. Woodside of course is very likely to cut their next dividend, and is the number one holding in VHY

The 26.5% figure was just on the Bell Direct research page for the share and I was using it as a rough figure but couldn't figure out how they came to it thus the confusion. As someone said, looks to be a cherry picked number from 2013 to encourage unsuspecting punters to make a trade.

Here's YTD for STW (ASX200) VAS (ASX300) and VHY (Vanguard High Yield) minus dividends

Attachments

• STW-VAS-VHY.JPG
    STW-VAS-VHY.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 84
The 26.5% figure was just on the Bell Direct research page for the share and I was using it as a rough figure but couldn't figure out how they came to it thus the confusion. As someone said, looks to be a cherry picked number from 2013 to encourage unsuspecting punters to make a trade.

Hardly. Just the 2013 calendar year performance.

Another question, how would you benefit from buying the right shares now that the USA economy is improving?? Anyone focusing on this market??

I think USA is going from strength to strength, property market has bounced back.

MTR:)

Another question, how would you benefit from buying the right shares now that the USA economy is improving?? Anyone focusing on this market??

I think USA is going from strength to strength, property market has bounced back.

MTR:)

Well the obvious ones are Australian shares with strong US earnings such as CSL, Ansell etc

Then ETFs which track the US markets, such as VTS, VGS, etc. I don't really buy individual US stocks but if I did I'd probably buy Berkshire hathaway (the cheaper shares)

The economy is improving greatly. However unlike what most people think, a countries stock market boom usually leads their economic improvement, not the other way around. And a lot of good growth has already occurred in the US market. I think there's a lot more to come of course

Very roughly...

My US shares are up about 80% over the last two years (plus dividends), whereas international are up around 35% (plus dividends) and Australian shares would be around 15% (plus dividends)

I'm not invested in them directly but

Qantas share price movement year-to-date: is up 91.8%

Last edited:
Very roughly...

My US shares are up about 80% over the last two years (plus dividends), whereas international are up around 35% (plus dividends) and Australian shares would be around 15% (plus dividends)

I'm not invested in them directly but

Qantas share price movement year-to-date: is up 91.8%

Qantas that's amazing, I thought they were losing money, how can the share being doing so well???

Qantas that's amazing, I thought they were losing money, how can the share being doing so well???

From the interweb

A $2 billion restructuring program, which involves cutting 5000 jobs over a three-year period, was credited as the main reason behind the change in the airline's fortunes. Cheaper fuel prices and a weaker Australian dollar had also helped.

Well the obvious ones are Australian shares with strong US earnings such as CSL, Ansell etc

Then ETFs which track the US markets, such as VTS, VGS, etc. I don't really buy individual US stocks but if I did I'd probably buy Berkshire hathaway (the cheaper shares)

The economy is improving greatly. However unlike what most people think, a countries stock market boom usually leads their economic improvement, not the other way around. And a lot of good growth has already occurred in the US market. I think there's a lot more to come of course

Yes, I am hearing this too.

I?ll give you an example of 2 companies that I?ve bought very recently

With a bit of research you can find highly profitable companies at a discount. These are not recommendation but examples of the last 2 stocks I?ve bought and why I bought them. I have a very long term investment approach and I?m not interest in short term gains (although they would be nice). Both of these companies are priced at a discount because of cyclical falls in commodity prices.

BDR ? Beadell Resouces

Gold Miner in Brazil.

Bought it for about $0.62

Earnings per share of about 14 cents which makes the P/E of the company about 4.4. Been priced down recently due to the decline in the gold price.
Very little debt, low cost producer, makes money now, talk of their being a dividend by the end of the year.
The basically just dig up the gold from the ground and sell it for a profit.

BCI ? BC Iron

Iron ore producer, been hammered down recently due to the drop in Iron ore prices.

Bought it for about its current price of $3.20

Has money in the bank, very low debt, low cost producer, makes money, pays a huge dividend of circa 14%. Earnings per share of about 63 cents gives this a P/E of about 5.

I'm not sure whether someone else has analysed this as I am just reading the thread again from the start and only up to Page 9.

The above is the reason why I am afraid of the stock market, although neither of these stocks fits my selection criteria. You would have gotten pretty burnt on these two trades unless you didn't put too much money into it. On today's price, you would have lost 66.1% on BDR and 88.6% on BCI in only 6 months of you making the post.

BDR in my humble opinion does not have low debt, BDR current liabilities is greater than their current asset, making it a straight fail for me. I will also never buy shares in a commodity market even if the balance sheet looks good.

BCI's fundamentals looks ok, their debt to current asset ration is about 50% and the return on retained equity looks good. However, BCI operates in a commodity market, where it cannot control its price or competitiveness.

QAN is not a good buy. QAN is only doing well now because oil price has dropped alot in the last couple of months. The decision by OPEC nations not to reduce the supply is what is pushing up the airliners at the moment.

Unfortunately I can't find the source, but something like a $10 drop in oil price equates to $1,000,000 in savings for an airliner.

I don't think the oil price will stay low forever.

Back