High Yielding Shares Again

It seems the 'high yielding' blue chip shares are becoming less 'high yielding'.

Ive been investing in shares for 50 weeks now, and they are up just over 10%, with an average yield just under 6% FF.

Noting also my BHP shares are now up 18%.

How is WES and WOW performing? :rolleyes:

pinkboy

You portfolio is up 10% over 50 weeks?

Yes. Is that $h!t?

pinkboy

No idea what the future holds though :D

I was just thinking that over the last 12 months something like Vanguards Bond Index on the Vanguard site shows a 10.31% return on its Bond Index for the 2014 year.

Bearing in mind that the above is only a short term view and snapshot which doesn't mean much in the fullness of time

Hi, shares are volatile. If you're up overall, you've done well.

In 09, I started with a list of 10. CBA ($25) MQG (around $50) BOL AIG Billabong QBE ($22) the fertilizer group the education group ANN and one other I can't remember.

CBA and ANN are about 300% up the fertilizer and education groups ditto

QBE now under $11, BOL and Billabong gone to hell.

Of $127K I started with, in 2012 I was left with $28K. Means I had lost $99K of $127K.

That means I was down 75%

In 2013, I was double my initial stake means I was up 100%

Now I'm a bit over 100%

In the 6 year period, I was up 3 years and DOWN 3 years.

KY

Wont hurt, I think interest rates cuts will always be a positive for investors.

What about the Aussie $ at 76, how does this impact on the share market??

, how does this impact on the share market??

Only my opinion but just looking this morning on what I control and try to manage,going on sell vs buy volumes it sometimes has the appearance of inconsistency over a six month period,but when I was sitting in the movies yesterday by myself and just scanning the 47 people sitting around me the talk was all about the fixed term investments rates around 3,80%% most were talking about taking all their saving out and investing in the ASX,it's either that or just bend over and let the Banks do what ever they want..

Last time I bought shares was 10 years ago, have been reading Montgomery (Value.able) and Buffet in preparation for testing the waters with my SMSF and finally took the plunge.

Finished my first purchases for SMSF over the last few weeks:
* $25k CBA @ $81.37 - up 1%
* $25k IAG @ $6.46 - down 3%
* $25k AGI @ $2.14 - up 5%
* $25k BGA @ $5.15 - down 5%

So far I've lost $500 or 1/2 % in 2 weeks mostly due to Bega Cheese decline.

But like you guys say, it's a short term market valuation and I hope the fundamentals will prevail long term!

Looking forward to watching them over the next couple of years, and topup with more if there is more price drops.

Seems so small compared to property I almost wish for margin lending to become available from SMSF... but probably safer for me not to mess with that. Love having no margin calls on property! But don't know what I'd do if I had to deal with one on shares in a crash..

Update on my SMSF shares attempt.

Up 11.5% which is nice since no management fees anymore.

Ainsworth was a cracker with 35% gain. CBA was only 13%
The other two are flat.

Short term though, I'm more interested where they are in 15 years :)

Collecting more employer credits and dividends will have to pick another company for a 25k injection later in the year.

Ps thanks for the tips Pinkboy – I purchased more when BGA was down and it changed it from being down now into a break even.

2J2wJne.jpg

At the start of the year I decided that after fiddling around with share trading I would have a serious crack at it, on the 6th of January bought my first CFD in US equites.

So to join in with the spirit of flashing our large returns I am pleased with a 220% profit on money invested to date.

This is totally off topic but what the heck.:)

At the start of the year I decided that after fiddling around with share trading I would have a serious crack at it, on the 6th of January bought my first CFD in US equites.

So to join in with the spirit of flashing our large returns I am pleased with a 220% profit on money invested to date.

This is totally off topic but what the heck.:)

:eek: 220% good work

Interesting piece from the Motley Fool

It's Joe Magyer here again, Chief Investment Advisor for Motley Fool Pro, reporting to you directly from Tianjin, China.

The scale of China's construction boom is off the charts. The country used more cement between 2011 and 2013 than the U.S. did during the entire 20th century, and its voracious hunger for Aussie iron has rained cash on our country.

It's hard to capture with words the enormity of projects here, so I thought it would be useful to count cranes while on the bullet train between Tianjin and Shanghai. I gave up after spotting 53 cranes in two minutes.

Unfortunately, as I'm about to explain, China's building boom has gotten ahead of itself. And those 53 cranes? Every single one was idle.

China devours two thirds of the world's seaborn iron ore. So goes its appetite, so goes the price of iron ore.

You can't get a read on how China is faring by focusing on government-published numbers, though. It's the worst-kept secret in finance that no one trusts those numbers.

Instead, you?ve got to do your own homework, get on the ground, and find independent sources to get a directional health of the economy's health. For example, inventories and accounts receivable are growing faster than sales at the Chinese consumer companies we're following -- a classic red flag of low-quality growth.

And then there's construction, which matters most to Australians. Once again, independent sources paint a darker tale. Chinese steel demand fell 3.4% in 2014, per the China Iron & Steel Association -- the first drop in 14 years. Also, Caterpillar expects the Chinese market to shrink in 2015. Neither surprises us given the vast multitude of idle projects (and Cats) that we spotted.

With this much idle machinery, it's no surprise that Caterpillar sees Chinese construction shrinking in 2015.
China has overbuilt.

A well-regarded contact in Beijing told us that another study revealed 28% of the homes in Beijing had not used electricity for six months. In New York, he reckons that number might be more like 4%. Meanwhile, researchers at China's Southwestern University of Finance and Economics found that 49 million (22%) of Chinese apartments sold in 2013 were vacant.

In theory, those homes will fill up as Chinese move from the country to the city. In reality, there are enough empty apartments in China to house 6 years' worth of urban migration. That's more than an entire year's worth of global iron ore demand going up in smoke.

The local market seems to have finally realised its predicament. Home prices in China have declined for four straight months, and this from the government's own data. Not helping confidence among lenders is the recent default by Shenzhen developer Kaisa Group on a $US52 million interest payment, which Anne Stevenson-Yang of J Capital Group pointed out to us was only about 1/10th of the net cash the group supposedly had in the bank.

Combine that lost confidence with the lack of long-term financing for projects in China (typical of most emerging economies) and it?s easy to see how the wheels of construction can so quickly grind to a halt.

All that?s troubling enough as is, but iron ore supply is also growing.

UBS forecasts that iron ore?s oversupply will 6X from 35 million this year to more than 200 million by 2018. The major miners are fixated on gaining market share, and they will, but at the expense of crushing the iron ore price for years to come.

Some analysts think higher-cost supply will come offline in response to lower prices. Again, in theory, that's true. In reality, miners have many motivations -- faith, hedges, survival, and politics -- that will inspire them to keep producing at a loss, ruining the party for everyone. And, speaking of oversupply, now is a good time to zoom out and recall that the iron ore price has spent most of the past 15 years at much lower prices than today:

Growing supply and falling demand is a bad combination.

It?s not crippling if you?re a large, low-cost producer like Rio Tinto Limited (ASX:RIO) or BHP Billiton Limited (ASX:BHP), but it is life threatening for producers with high costs, think Mount Gibson Iron Limited (ASX:MGX), or debt-heavy balance sheets, think Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX:FMG).

Even Rio and BHP will find this price environment a bumpy road (just because you're the lowest-cost producers doesn?t mean your profits can?t fall). And mining services companies? They?re not only in the same boat -- they?re tied to the anchor.

Back