Highly Recommended Property Managers

Should we start a directory of highly regarded Property Managers including their contact details, so everyone doesnt have to sift thru the bad ones first?

Interesting timing MK as I have spent the last two days sifting through "recommendations" for property managers without much luck and thinking surely there has to be constructive feedback out there.

In addition to cb's suggestion of marks, written positive comments from tenants and owners (+ negative experiences) was what I was hoping to find. Are you proposing for readers to narrow search results to particular suburbs/cities?

So I've made a decision to transfer our current letting agreement (Brisbane) and will be happy to post my experiences (positive I hope) once we're up and running.

Last edited:
The more nitty gritty you get into, the more SS owners/admin will be open to libellous claims made against them by annoyed PM's.

The only way you could do it (and even then I doubt SS admin. will like it) is to simply have a list/thread members can contribute to of Property Managers they have liked and the area that PM covers. Simple as that, no comments, no "good with this, but terrible with that..." If you would recommend them they go on the list, and if you wouldn't, they don't - simple as that.

How would it be rated.

I.e marks out of ten for communication, tribunal experience etc?

Any ideas anyone?

How about
1. Initiative
2. Problem Solving
3. Communication
4. Knowledge (Industry/years of experience)

Things not to include
1. Price

It will only work if it is positive recommendations and not a slagging match

Jezza

Over the years, no doubt like many of you, I have been asked for recommodations. Sadly they do change over time. So having a "database" may be a problem. The other point is, every business is really as good as the staff. I have, and I am sure I am not alone, have at odd times made a bad employment decision. You try to fix it as quickly as you can within the law, but the " relationship" with a LL or 2, is on the outer. The next item worth considering, how long will they continue doing, what they are doing. and what is the succesion plan. As the world moves, people are changing jobs more and more, so please, do expect a different voice from time to time. But its the leader of the business, combined with the staff, and the systems, that will look after your investment. Hope that point of view is of assistance

The other point is, every business is really as good as the staff.

...and more specifically staff allocated to you. I have found no issues having my properties managed by a particular organisation, where others on this forum have had bad experiences with them (same organisation, different staff member).

The Y-man

Y Man, I agree with you. Sadly to say, I have made the odd employment mistake over the years, and sometimes it takes a bit to correct, and also, some times its different personalities, we move a LL to a different PM, and that has solved some issues. I do enourage communicatiuon though, as some times things slip off the rails when "expectations" have not been met, howevr on examination, one of the parties was not aware of that expectation.

We recently settled on our 3rd IP, a house in Oakhurst NSW (near Blacktown).
We had a little bit of work to do to get it ready to rent (it was a mortgagee repossession), and we did as much as we could manage over the last few weekends (painting, put up blinds, tidied the garden, cleaning). We have very little time available, so it was a bit of a struggle getting everything done.

The PM arm of the agency who sold the property approached us about managing the rental, and offered an attractive rate (given they already know the property and earned a fair bit from the sale). The thing that got them across the line was the fact that they were keen to help us fix the place up by recommending tradies and allowing access during the week when we were not available. The tradies have all been at very reasonable rates, and the principal PM has replaced some of the door handles and locks himself at cost.

They found us good tenants on the first open-home, at $10pw more than expected.
Based on our experience so far, I would recommend LJ Hooker Rooty Hill.
They were also good to deal with as buyers.
We have a property on the Central Coast, and those PMs are a nightmare, it is such a nice change to deal with competent and helpful people.

Back