Hobby Farm, Living our dream!! Sharing our journey........

Hi All,

My wife and four young kids moved from a 600m2 suburban block to a 6 acre "Hobby Farm" in Emerald, Victoria 3 months ago.

I am starting this thread to share our experiences and hopefully gain some knowledge from people out there.

A little bit about our property: 6 acres, 1 acre around the house and two even sized paddocks, 1 with a spring feed dam. We have a horse, 5 sheep and up until 3 days ago, we had 4 goats, i was killed, which i will asked advice on soon.

That will do for now, i will attach some photos. Hope to discover other people out there in the same position as we are.

Cheers

GG

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 398
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 321
Aaaaah tropical paradise: beautiful one day, perfect the next!

Hi!
I was born in Emerald 34 years ago.
I have 12 acres 30 minutes south of Cairns
We have 5 horses there, about a hundred fruit trees, and a basic shed type dwelling which we use as a weekender. I built most of the house myself, which was an experience! Wish we lived there but work demands we stay in town mostly.
Love being a farmer in a little way, but would be tough work full time!

What's that funny green stuff all over the ground? We don't get that up this way :p

Grass and we have lots of it but we haven't been here in winter yet, so i'm not sure how many live lawnmowers we will need.

Had our 3rd blackout last night due to a storm, got the Honda Generator out, plugged in the fridge, freezer and TV :D

Cheers

GG

Hi Gordon

Well done it looks idyllic!

Did a fox kill the goat or dogs? Foxes are a nasty piece of work, they kill for no reason. When I was working with W.I.R.E.S I had handraised 8 baby magpies and just before they were ready to be released a fox got into the aviary and the next morning they were all dead and headless, I was hearbroken!

i was killed
:eek: You're posting from the grave? :p

My mum has a hobby farm, usually 3-4 horses, 3 goats, 1 sheep, 20ish permanent dogs (+ litters), cats, chooks, pigeons, numerous types of caged birds + more. It's cool to get up there every now and then (around 200km from where I live in suburbia), but I don't think I could live there and care for the animals fulltime.

So have you found work up that way or retired...?

Thanks for sharing where you're at. Would you mind sharing a bit of background? For example, this stickybeak would be interested to hear what made you decide to do this, how long it had been your dream, what your future plans are, how the kids are adapting, and anything else that you care to share. :)

Hi Gordon

Well done it looks idyllic!

Did a fox kill the goat or dogs? Foxes are a nasty piece of work, they kill for no reason. When I was working with W.I.R.E.S I had handraised 8 baby magpies and just before they were ready to be released a fox got into the aviary and the next morning they were all dead and headless, I was hearbroken!

Hi Sparky,

Yes it is Idyllic. People ask me, "Do you hate the drive tio work" I say "yes but i just love the drive home":D

About my poor baby goat, he was a twin, I still have his sister, she is 6 months old. I will attached photo.

I have a 12 month old German Sheppard, who would just love to get into the paddocks, not sure what he would do when he got in there, i have been taking him in there on a lead, getting him used to them. But if he had of got into the paddock, their is no way he would do anything like what happened to this poor little goat.

The horse, 4 (now 3) goats and 5 sheep, share the paddocks. The horse is a older horse and very well behaved. But saying that, what i believed has happened, is that the goat got too close and has been kicked by the horse and then during the night, the foxes got to him. Without going into too much detail, there was only half of him left.

Am i on the right track with cause of death????

Thanks,

GG

Attachments

• Goats.jpg
    Goats.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Mum and Fred.jpg
    Mum and Fred.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 176
:eek: You're posting from the grave? :p

My mum has a hobby farm, usually 3-4 horses, 3 goats, 1 sheep, 20ish permanent dogs (+ litters), cats, chooks, pigeons, numerous types of caged birds + more. It's cool to get up there every now and then (around 200km from where I live in suburbia), but I don't think I could live there and care for the animals fulltime.

So have you found work up that way or retired...?

I'm still alive :)

I used to live 5 mins from work and that was the problem, i couldn't "let go" on the weekends, if i was driving by on the weekend, i would drop in. I'm a manager at a Timber and Hardware retail outlet.

The beauty of Emerald, it is only 35 min to work, which suits me just fine, best of both worlds. My wife can still meet the girls for coffee :)

GG

Sounds like it, the horse would hardly have fancied eating goat! Are you 100% the german shepherd wouldn't have got in there, dogs can turn quite nasty when their primeval instincts kick in.

Often foxes just kill for fun, they tend to be loners too not in packs but they always come back to try again so it would be good to keep the other baby safely locked up at night. You could ask the local parks and wildlife about baiting the fox, I tried to catch one once with a cat trap but they are way smarter than cats.

Sounds like it, the horse would hardly have fancied eating goat! Are you 100% the german shepherd wouldn't have got in there, dogs can turn quite nasty when their primeval instincts kick in.

Often foxes just kill for fun, they tend to be loners too not in packs but they always come back to try again so it would be good to keep the other baby safely locked up at night. You could ask the local parks and wildlife about baiting the fox, I tried to catch one once with a cat trap but they are way smarter than cats.

Kane, my sheppard, has grown up with a cat, both play together. Yes i know it is differant to the new animals in his life. Before i had the horse and goats and just had the 5 sheep, i let him into the paddock by mistake. He chased the sheep around until, one of the lambs just stopped, exhausted. Kane just stood over him, like the game was over. Kane is scared of the Jack Russell next door. I have about 15 wild ducks in my dam, he caught one and ran off with it in his mouth, he dropped it and played with it. But didn't hurt it, might of scraed it to death. But you are right, he is a possabillity, maybe killed the goat but not eat half of it, no way.

Thanks for your words thoughts and advice Sparky

GG

Thanks for sharing where you're at. Would you mind sharing a bit of background? For example, this stickybeak would be interested to hear what made you decide to do this, how long it had been your dream, what your future plans are, how the kids are adapting, and anything else that you care to share. :)

Well Tracey,

I'm glad you asked because i wanted to share but wasn't sure anybody wanted to hear :D

It has always been a dream of mine to live on a " bit of land that i needed a ride on lawnmower" So an acre would have been nice :) My loverly understanding wife never shared my vision until one day we went for a drive and that was only 18 months ago.

I said to my wife, have a look at this place, look at that place, geez that ones nice, we can afford that. Lets go for a drive one day, just to have a look, i would say. So two weeks before the "road trip" we printed out possible properties. Why do we need to much land she would ask. I said because we can. What are we going to do with all that land she would ask, i said, go for a walk :) Play footy with the kids, fly a kite. Have a cow maybe.

So on the saturday, we all got up early, we had 4 places to look at, 3 in Gembrook and 1 in Emerald. We didn't expect to find somethink we liked, little alone fall in love with a property. The first two we nice and then we went to Emerald to look at a 6 acre property.....you guessed it we fell in love with it, my wife loved it. I was shocked. We didn't even look at the 4th house, we spent the rest of the day, soaking up the atmosphe of Emerald coffes shops etc............checked out schools, kinders.....etc, our kids are 10, 8, 7, 4

We did everthing wrong, first we let our emotions take over, we bought the house before we even put our place on the market. We got 120 days on the new place, as it turned out, we needed every minute.

Second mistake was picking the wrong RE Agent to sell our house, as it turned out, it ended up being our best decision too...............i will explain.

I won't go into it now, why this agent was so bad but he couldn't sell our house because he couldn't care anyless........

We had a IP unit, so a friend said, why don't you sell the unit and turn you place into an IP. We contacted a Morgage broker and from that point onwards, every person we came in contact with, was fantastic. This Broker, Eric, went far beyond his call of duty to help us out of a sticky siulaation we got ourselves into because settlement was coming up and we were in deep sh@t!!!

He put us in contact with an RE Agent to sell our unit, this agent was willing to help paint the place if he needed to. He was prepared to do anything to help us.

(If you want contact details of these two giuys, i would be more than willing to recommend them) The agent is in the Essedon area, in Melbourne.

Anyway, the buying and selling process, is nearly enough pressure to rip a family apart, i never ever want to go thru that again. But it has made us stronger as a family.

So the out come was, that we are now living our dream, with more "good" debt .

We moved up here in Sept. and decided to leave the kids in there school until the end of the year. So now their school is 35 mins away, its been hard but worth it for them. We have been to their new school and it is fantastic. They start there next year.

I have gone on long enough, anything else, just ask,

GG

Attachments

• Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 187
Love it!

Keep telling us what happens in your little piece of paradise. Will you grow some vegies? Do you use bottled gas? Do you get Foxtel ?? ( thats the only way I could handle a move like that :eek:)

I've been making noises to Mr Tiz about a tree change after our last child leaves home in a few years. I wouldn't want 5 acres because thats what I spent my teen years on and I hated the isolation and I'm allergic to most animals fur :(but I wouldn't mind a cottage on a river somewhere, maybe half an acre, an acre. :)

What a beautiful place to live. Love your choice of your new home.

We live on a farm, we can run thousands of sheep sometimes, we invested in alpacas to help guard the ewes when the lambing season is on. An alpaca is in the 200 acre paddock with the ewes before they start lambing and stays with them through all the season.

As with any lambing, some ewes can lose lambs at birth, something wrong and the lamb maybe born dead, or die shortly after, despite help/intervention...foxes can be a problem, seeking the newborn lambs, or coming into the paddock to feed on the deceased lambs, the alpacas do a fantastic job keeping the foxes out f the paddock, then we go around picking up dead carcasses, (if any).

Alpacas are excellent at keeping foxes away, they can paw/strike at them, chase them, basically hound them out of the paddock, we have seen them actually kill them.

This will apply to dogs too, I don't let any of our dogs confront the alpacas, they can get injured, we can manage the alpaca movement in a mob of sheep, using the dogs, but not singled out. Safety in numbers.

I do train and breed working dogs as a hobby, at any given time there maybe quite a few dogs (all breeds/types), here. Beautiful animals. It is my responsibility to supervise those dogs at all times, it's very important. Any canine has a a very deep seated natural instinct toward prey. No matter what it's individual story or history. Just so you are aware, any dog uncontained can maim or kill stock.

I don't know what has happened to your little goat, but just in the general education of farms, hobby farms, anyone that owns a dog, it is quite capable of maiming and killing other animal life, eg ducks, chooks, goats, sheep etc..it is a deep seated instinct.

If my dogs are not with me, being supervised, (or with any of the family, here)....they are contained, they have 4 star dog kennel accomodation, and every night they are secured and contained within dog-escape-proof kennels.

They get plenty of exercise, love, training etc...but I never leave my dogs to wander or chase anything, it's my responsibility to my dogs, stock and neighbors who might also have stock.

I'm not sure if you understand the importance of this, (or a lot of people who have/own dogs). Even town/city dwellers need to understand the importance of dog ownership responsibility. Dogs, on their own, or moving in packs can cause quite devastating events to other animals.

It is quite possible your goat kid may have been kicked, or a fox may have attacked it, Sparky's idea on contacting the park/wildlife is appropriate.

I have no doubt your dog is a wonderful, and you guys love him dearly, but he is first and foremost a dog. The natural instinct is there, as with mine, and it is my responsibility to manage the dog.

Photos are so beautiful. Your hobby farm looks like a piece of paradise, congratulations, and enjoy.

Oh, just another important bit of occ health and safety re// farm life...our dams on our farm, there is a few dozen, are all off limits to children, except under supervision, and in snake season must wear leg and good foot covering.

There are quite a few accidents around farming communities, and often it relates to children being injured.

Congratulations again GG!

Enjoy.

We're on half an acre, the weather here isn't good though so I don't do much with the backyard, got lots of baby gum trees on it that might actually grow past ankle height some day (some are a few YEARS old and ankle high) but the last two winters have been really dry and really cold. Have several fruit trees closer to the house, used to have chooks but the neighbour's dog killed them. Only have a cat and a rabbit now. Our IP is in the country too, in a town with lovely weather, fantastic soil, the vacant block we'll create with the subdivision is covered in fruit trees. Our PPoR is about a 5 minute walk from a primary school but the nearest good high school is a stone's throw from the IP - not hard to work out where we'll be moving sometime before The Child starts high school ...

We moved here a couple of years ago to undertake a rather ambitious software project, but a year into it I got pregnant, we then did a mad dash to build an extra bedroom, then got flooded, then spent the next year in a sleep-deprived haze (and bought the second house in the middle) so now we have an unfinished project and no savings ...

But now we have a nice IP we can sell for lots of $$ so we'll be debt free next year, the baby is actually sleeping at night now (about bloody time if you ask me), we've decided to pull together and get organised on the project after the Christmas silly season and all is good with the world :D

I've even managed to find some pretty plants that GROW in this weather (hot, wet summers and sub-zero, dry winters - we are surprisingly high altitude here) so my backyard is actuallly looking quite nice these days, if you like rosemary, thyme, bear's britches, gazanias, agapanthus and lamb's ears ...

Weeds!!!!

Hi All,

I have a 3 acre paddock full of these (will attatch photos) thistles. I have started to dig them out, leaving a hole :( All my animals graze this paddock, their shelters are in this paddock, so i can't really lock them out of it over night.

I know how to use roundup, drop of red food dye so i know where i have been and some dishwasher soap to help the mix stick to the weeds. Roundup will be my last option.

How do i get rid of them??? A couple have popped up on my "good" paddock, so its time to get rid of them,

Any help would be great,

Cheers

GG

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 164
How do i get rid of them??? A couple have popped up on my "good" paddock, so its time to get rid of them,

GG

I'd call em Scotch Thistles, although different weeds are called different things in different regions.

These should have been broadacre sprayed with a boom spray months ago with the herbicide MCPA when the thistles were at rosette stage. Rosette stage is when they are still about 10 cm across and not yet running up. The MCPA would not harm the grass at all and only suppress the clover for a month and the clover would recover. MCPA is very cheap when bought in bulk by a farmer, but not sure how much it would cost in small amounts. It would take just 800 mills per hectare of MCPA and at $10 or so per litre the total cost would be bugger all.

All fairly simple stuff for a farmer, but how you do all that on 3 acres is a bit difficult. I wonder if there is a neighbour near you with a quadrunner boomspray? I have one of those with a 6 metre boom and 100 litre tank that I use for small scale weed control on our grazing land and gardening.

As they weren't sprayed at rosette stage months ago, you may have to hit each plant individually now. However there is no reason to use roundup. Buy one of those pump-up 5 or 10 litre spray packs and hit them with a broadleaf herbicide. That would be 50 times as quick as chipping them out.

Finally, big thistles cut out, or sprayed can sometimes effect livestock as the thistles die. They can get a bit poisonous, but sometimes they don't. Keep an eye out for the animals or best to lock them out for a week.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Sounds idyllic Gordon. I'd love to live on a small acreage myself, maybe in Tassie or somewhere like that where I can totally revegetate the land with lots of native trees and have it as a wildlife sanctuary with koalas, kangaroos etc etc. Couldn't be bothered with animals you have to take care of though -too much work and no holidays.

Nice. Love all the bush you have there.
I will have an acreage oneday :)

As for foxes.. well needless to say I dont believe in baiting. Very cruel way to go. National Parks do it, but then again they do alot of things i dont like. They are government after all.

Some methods used succesfuly by people include the Maremma dogs (getting very popular these days, i see many for sale) and fox proof fencing (perhaps not feasible on a large property like yours). There are trials going with ultrasonic fencing.

As for why there was only half a goat left, there's a chance that a fox killed it but large birds of prey tore it apart overnight. You'd probably get some of the larger owls around there.

Sounds idyllic Gordon. I'd love to live on a small acreage myself, maybe in Tassie or somewhere like that where I can totally revegetate the land with lots of native trees and have it as a wildlife sanctuary with koalas, kangaroos etc etc. Couldn't be bothered with animals you have to take care of though -too much work and no holidays.

Here you go .... not quite tassie, and only 491 acres..... :p

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=58110115&s=tas&tm=1229479566

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back