Home build - flooring through builder, or post handover?

Hi all

As part of our home build, we are wondering if we should get flooring through the builder or do it ourselves post hand over.

I understand the quality of standard is likely to be below average.

As part of one of the promotion we get 'laminate' or category 1 carpet options only.

We will need to cover 140sqm - 150sqm downstairs... and about 120-130sqm upstairs.

Thinking of timber downstairs, carpet upstairs.

What costs are we looking at for something which looks decent and is good quality?

thanks
Monalisa

Do it after with the product quality, supplier and installer you are comfortable with

I am currently planning my ppor reno, and getting the right quality timber flooring and install is a task. Carpet is easier.

Mixed australian hardwood character grade 19mm thick 130mm wide for $2.95 per lineal meter is the cheapest I have found (but it's up in qld). You probably only need 12mm thick covering flooring if you are putting it on a slab.

Personally I like the knots and imperfections of the character grade. Might be a little work with putty and sanding but considering higher grade stuff is $12 per lm I think I'll put in the days work with the character grade stuff when my total will be $4000 instead of $16 200 total.

Back