Home Burglary - Angry

Just got home from a beautiful sunday arvo out and about....to find back window smashed, the lock decimated....fortunately they didnt get in, did have some tools and general bits and pieces out the back taken though.
was out for 3 hrs, on a sunday of all days.....i cant wait for the day when im home and they attempt it...god that gets me angry...:mad:

G'day Ricardo,

I feel for you, Ric - we had this happen early last year (then a repeat about 6 weeks later - as seems to be the norm). The best we could do was to make severe changes to "regain control" of our environment (i.e. auto-sensing lights that turn on when anyone comes near, extra bolts on sliders, etc.)

We'd been trouble-free for 20 years - then this. It really does sit a bloke back on his haunches, eh? But maybe it was the wake-up call we had to have. Now we are religious about setting the alarm whenever leaving the house (in the past, we would only use it when leaving at night).

The hardest bit is to find (sometimes months after) that things just "aren't there anymore". At the time, the obvious things are noticed as being missing, but the not-so-obvious are over-looked until way after Insurance claims have been made....

Makes one think seriously about getting a Rotty !!!! ;)

Regards,

Hey Ricardo,

It's very unfortunate that this has happened, whats more unfortunate is when people say, you where lucky, it could have been worse.
I came home from work one day a few years back, ready to go visit mum at the hospital (for some minor surgery) to find our house broken into, the usual PS2 and cash stolen, the worst was mums complete jewlery box, including the regulars that she wore everyday, except for this time, as she was in hospital. All up about 30K of jewlery gone! Most of this was antique stuff from my grandma and great grandma, they dont make it like that any more...
The offender was caught, we recieved some of it on insurance, most wasnt covered specifically (not aware it needed to be, am now!) and a few small pieces where retrieved when the offender was caught.

Hopefully the offender is caught and punished, highly unlikely though...

tks the kind words...i couldve told u how to insure properly todd!!
as it is, i hear these events every single day being in insurance, and as happens over time, u become immune, its just a claim, you of course feel for the person and do all you can to help, primarily in ensuring claim goes through quickly and with no drama.
but when it happens to yourself it sux!! had the whole house cleaned out 4 years ago...that really stung. this latest happening doesnt really worry me.....i could of course put a gate and alarm in, im too stingy too though coz i intend knocking the joint over so every penny spent is a penny wasted....still really sh..ts me though!!

Yeah, under-insurance is a big problem, I learnt the hard way from mum's mistake, I think out of approx $30K stolen, she got about $3k from insurance. So it was a big loss financially, but more emotionally. I took this as a lesson, and have since then had my items insured as specified items listed on their policy, which I paid extra for.

Last week while ringing around getting quotes to insure my house and very limited contents (read: non existant :) ) I made sure to list my valuables as specified items on the policy while costing a few hundred dollars extra per year, its worth it for the peace of mind.

Hopefully this thread will bring to peoples attention the need to make sure that have sufficient cover, for when this happens to you. I think in todays times, its not a case of if, its when and how many times it happens to you. :mad:

Anyone looked into video surveillance?
I understand the cost has come down tremendously.
WOuld be nice to get some video evidence of the jerkoffs who do this stuff.

Personally, I don't have a lot of tolerance or understanding for thieves and crims. I think the zero tolerance policy Rudy Guiliani adopted in NYC said it all. Come down hard on the minor crime, and the major crime rate drops.

Yes, the video surveilance technology has come along way. One of the best ways for setting up a home system is using your PC. There are many packages available for this.

this is one im looking at getting or this one

A quick google around the web and you will find many different products varying in price and performance.

I guess the only problem is when they steal your computer also... unless you backup to a remote server via web connection.

when i get a place that is worth it, then id consider something like that.
until then.....just dont take my bike or my northerly collection and il remain calm. i might rant and rave...but il survive!!

I have had three break ins in my Subway in twelve months. Two were attempts to steal, one was just nuisance (or anger or something).

Each cost about $800 to fix. Insurance has a $500 excess, plus no claim losses. So it wasn't woth claiming.

The video surveillance was given to the police. We even had police forensics come in for one break in (it was part of a pattern). But it didn't do any good. They still haven't been caught.

One bottle of Coke was stolen.

But I've had employee theft over $2000. People who know the system, and people I trust. That hurts a lot more.

Hey Geoff,

I have seen a product available, you may or may not be aware of it, that I think could help you, and store owners alike.

It was a surveillance system, that was connected to the cash register, and the eftpos machine, so you could see the items handed over, cross check it to what was input to the till, then check the cash that went in, or eftpos transaction. I dont have the details for it at the moment, but when I get some free time ill track it down again if your interested.

That could be good. I'm not aware of it.

I do have problems with people mispunching EFTPOS info, with entering EFPOS as cash, and with giving bogus discounts.

I would be interested in that product. Thanks.

I'd be wary of a surveilance system onto your pc. The puter has been the primary target around here lately. Friends had both their's stolen recently.

I have three and apart from their replacement cost, loss of data and programs a thief could play havoc with my affairs. Ergo, I'm replacing the internal door with a solid core one with a proper lock and will bar the windows.

Dogs are great too but you don't need a Rotty. I've got a Foxy now but all three of my small dogs have been nosey, noisy and territotial (they don't know they're small. :D) The neighbours have some too so it seems the B&E merchants look for a quieter n'hood. It may also help that we have irregular habits. Next door runs an office cleaning biz from home and their cleaners come and go at night. Over the road, both do shift work and I work from home and can come & go at any time. Often have the lights on in the wee hours too. Living in a "quiet, residential" n'hood may have it's disadvantages LOL

And small safes are dirt cheap now.

The sense of loss and personal affront (especially if they took my pictures) in the case of a break-in, makes the cost of security worth it. This thread reminds me I must go and do it!!!!

There's some great "Wireless" alarm products available such as shed alarms (Or use it on a pool gate/caravan etc). And Totally Wireless home alarm systems conected to the phone, which calls you (or upto 3 people).

IMO You cant stop people breaking in, you can just harden the target and they'll look elsewhere.

A friend had great results putting an old empty alarm strobe at the front of his house and a few warning stickers..stopped his break-ins

I have been home 3 times when I've had my different houses broken into. Long stories short - first time I chased the young kid down the street, second time I was asleep and got a stereo stolen and later had the robbers arrested, finally i was chased out of the house by two bulky guys and jumped off the balcony to get away. Trust me in the last situation my first instinct was get the hell out of the house and let them take whatever they want as I'm going to get severely bashed or killed. I hit the ground running pretty fast :)

Ricardo29 said:
Just got home from a beautiful sunday arvo out and about....to find back window smashed, the lock decimated....fortunately they didnt get in, did have some tools and general bits and pieces out the back taken though.
was out for 3 hrs, on a sunday of all days.....i cant wait for the day when im home and they attempt it...god that gets me angry...:mad:

RichardC said:
I'd be wary of a surveilance system onto your pc. The puter has been the primary target around here lately. Friends had both their's stolen recently.
Richard,

Unless you have ADSL broadband... I read an article recently about a guy that had his computer stolen from a break-in but they caught the crim because the guy left his computer on and had a motion sensor linked to his PC camera. He automatically saved the images to his internet website. So, they stole the computer but he just jumped on the web and downloaded the pictures and handed them over to the police. It was a really high quality image of this guy staring into the little camera. :)

I'm thinking of implementing something similar, but with some remote cameras with I/R capability like those linked by Todd above. Todd, you don't know any Aussie vendors for this sort of stuff do you?

Cheers,
Michael.

I think Tricky Dicky (Dick Smith or Powerhouse) have some of these kits for sale. If they don't have the specific set-up you want, I'm sure they would be able to get it in or at least point you in the right direction.

Re Dogs. I read a study somewhere that said that having a dog in the backyard (no matter what size - dog that is, not yard) reduced your risk of a Break and Enter. As did visible alarm stickers & strobe.

In my opinion, the best deterent would be to permanently park a pick-up truck in the driveway with an EMPTY gun-rack in the back window as well as a few well-placed stickers on the truck and a few house windows stating "I SHOOT AND I VOTE". Then anyone dumb enough to break in deserve anything they get.

:cool:

If I was going to go the trouble of setting up a video surveillance unit that needs a pc, I think it would be at least worth spending the extra $400-500 to buy a dedicated box, that was stored up in the crawl space above the ceiling...

I also think it is a good idea to have a camera that picks up the cars in the street 50 metres each way, as if they are taking anything big, you are more likley to get car details. Futher, from what police friends tell me, it is usual for crims to drive or walk up adn down the road a couple of times before coming in, esp at night. THough the other strategy they use is to go door to door pretending to be salesmen or delivery guys, they knock gently, and if there is no answer, they try the front door, or force it, then the back door, then the windows. I know a few people who have had their front rooms robbed when they have been out the back in the kitchen.

A mate of mine on acreage with some expensive gear in his sheds, has his cameras across the road up a tree in a neighbour's yard, pointing back towards house. That way they are more likely to catch cars in and out and number plates lit up by the one street light out front.

burglary. yuk

Ricardo, I am sorry to hear that. It does rock you a bit.
I hope you are able to help the police nab the guy.

It happened to us too - a few years back.

One night (in a previous house) my wife and I were asleep - just, and I heard the garage door rattle. Then saw a shadow walk past the front window.

I thought it was the cat (half asleep) making the noise, but she was at the foot of the bed.

Then I heard the side gate rattle, and started to wake up.

I walked down the hall and there in the lounge, just standing there was a big dark shape.

I SCREAMED as loud as I could (manly type of scream, though) and ran for the figure. I must have been still half asleep - cause I am small and thin, and this guy was big & stocky. Usually I would politely invite him to help himself, please don't hurt me. :)

Anyway - the guy nearly wet his pants, turned around and ran straight into the wall!

Then ran out the back door and VAULTED the 6 foot colorbond fence.

I lost my voice though for about a week.

So it turns out, I have a big voice when needed!

The police new the guy, he was a Big deliquent fella who lived a few streets away. He'd just got out of lockup and went on a rampage, drunk or something.

Anyway they got him the same night and that's the end of that.

Hope your grub gets caught.

MichaelWhyte said:
I'm thinking of implementing something similar, but with some remote cameras with I/R capability like those linked by Todd above. Todd, you don't know any Aussie vendors for this sort of stuff do you?

Cheers,
Michael.

I don't know of any vendors myself, a quick google brings up a few that are aussie vendors, I think you would find your able to get a better product from an O/S supplier for a competitive price though. It seems to be about $350USD - $500USD will get you a system with 4 colour, IR, indoor/outdoor camera's and everything else you need.

Back