Home owner to Investment Property

Hi All,

What is the process of converting your home into an investment property?

My understanding is you call up the bank to change the loan to an investment/interest only loan.. i think?

You acquire a property manager and purchase land owner insurance

You change all your bills so that it is delivered to the tenant instead

... and that is where i'm stuck, am i missing something?

don't forget to acquire a tenant ;)

Regarding loans, its your choice if you keep them P&I or IO, according to your strategy, either way you can only claim the interest portion of your repayments as a deduction against tax. Speaking of strategy, that's probably a step back worth taking before you go ahead, so that you can set things up in the best way

Last edited:
Somehow I don't think the tenant will be interested in paying your bills

hahahahha I will list it as a requirement ;)

Currently my name is under the electricity bill and gas bill, once the tenant moves in don't they have to pay for their usage?

hahahahha I will list it as a requirement ;)

Currently my name is under the electricity bill and gas bill, once the tenant moves in don't they have to pay for their usage?

Yes, you just get the final bill from the utilities companies when you move out. What happens next is up to the incoming tenant ;)

Insurance-wise, you'll need house & contents + landlord insurance.

Yes, you just get the final bill from the utilities companies when you move out. What happens next is up to the incoming tenant ;)

Insurance-wise, you'll need house & contents + landlord insurance.

Contents for a tenant? I get building insurance for an IP, not home and contents.

Back