Home reno stalled

I was reno'ing my home and going great guns, but recently I have become despondent. Reno's have stalled and I just can't seem to get motivated to get going again.

Does anyone else ever have these setbacks or have I just gotten into lazy mode?

You are not alone Brenda. When I was renovating our previous house I would have breaks where I thought that it was all too much and then get frustrated that it wouldn't get done. Hang in there and keep going because all I ended up doing was wasting time and taking longer to get the great result. Is is so worth it, your environment changing and improving is good for the spirit.

Brenda

Its your body/brain telling you that its time for a break from the reno's. Take time off, go to the beach house, go around furniture stores, go to paint stores, get ideas, read magazines, explore new ideas, concentrate on your shares for a while.

Its time to recharge your batteries and get some new ideas. All of a sudden something will inspire you and you just have to get back to it. I know, been there, done that!!!

You are too like me to stay away too long....:D

Chris

Yep, my ppor is always the last to be completed, everything else just happens to be a higher priority. In fact the paint is usually still drying at the first exhibition for sale (my ppor's don't make good rentals).

The current ppor reno is in it's 3rd year, my wife has even given up threatening "to get a man in to finish the job" :D

Perhaps I'll get enthused again in Spring? Seriously though, as the markets I play in are slow, so am I. There's no sense of urgency when you don't need to have it revalued either. This one is unencumbered and will remain so.

MC

Hi Brenda

Ah! I posted a little advice on the JEND thread re the Reno emotional rollercoaster.:D :eek:

Advice, pick a job thats not to complicated or time consuming and do that. I ,like to paint something in a room yet to be started, when I have a "I'm sick of this moment" As I am always amazed at what 1 coat of paint can do, it always spurs me on.:D

Hey Brenda,
I am currently doing a reno on my PPOR, and I find picking up a copy of API or reading one of the forum reno threads gets me inspired. When you see other people doing such great work on their renos, I have to get into it as well.
Good luck. I'm sure you'll find something to spark you up.
ps thinking of the equity gain you will be creating can also be inspiring

Reno's have stalled and I just can't seem to get motivated to get going again.
Does anyone else ever have these setbacks or have I just gotten into lazy mode?

HI Brenda, I am in the same boat as you are. I work a week on my PPOR and have 2 months off till I read some Magazine or watch Pomy show "Property ladder" and I get all motivated and put in another few days before taking the extended break.
This cold weather is not doing much good for my motivation either.......

I have to agree the weather has an impact on me too...makes me slow down and want to hibernate. However, I take pleasure in seeing the smallest improvement towards my goal. If I can achieve just one small reno task, I sometimes feel that I've at least done something for the day, and that's one less job to do. Sometimes, I say I'll just go for one hour...then I find I've done 5 hours...time slips away...and I've done more than I reckoned. Sometimes we just need to kid ourselves along.

However, I think there's also something in what other posters have said, in that we sometimes reach a bit of a burn out, and need to take a complete break for a wee time.

Thanks for the wise words of inspiration friends. I should be back into it, (parts of it anyway) shortly. The main job I was stalled on involved climbing up on scaffolding to seal under the eaves and paint the exterior wall. I hate heights but living in a high set Qld'r is rewarding.

While I've been not reno'ing, I have still been planning what is next (after the painting.) I was going to open up most of the verandah and install standard ladies waist and timber panel balustrading. Now I'm not so sure.

My house is set 100mtrs back from the front gate and it looks a sad old house with the built-in verandah. Even opened up with timber balustrading, it will just look like 100's of other Qld'rs. My front gates are fancy aluminium (wrought iron lookalike) types. I am thinking maybe I could do the verandah in something similar. Rather like the verandah on my beach house.

Check my gallery pics and you will get what I mean. What do you think? Would it look silly, or good?

Hi Benda

If you have any demo yards go and check out what they have, you may get some inspiration from old metal work for your veranda. I Love all those old doors and gates and things.

Hi Brenda,

Don't worry about having a little time out, just think about all that you have achieved and enjoy the fact that you can have the choice to have time out.
Let me also say that you have inspired me the most and I keep reading your story on how you first bought all your properties in 18 months.
The following weekend after I read about you I jumped in my car and headed for the country to pick up a bargain and found a great little property on my first day of looking. Settlement is in 2 weeks and it is my first attempt at a positively geared place in the country. I will do a one week reno on it and will let you know how I got on.
It was down to you that I got the motivation so thanks. ;)

Bronwyn.

Hey Brenda,
I am currently doing a reno on my PPOR, and I find picking up a copy of API or reading one of the forum reno threads gets me inspired. When you see other people doing such great work on their renos, I have to get into it as well.
Good luck. I'm sure you'll find something to spark you up.
ps thinking of the equity gain you will be creating can also be inspiring

I kept few Penhouse magazines there

Back