Home siege with machete - this is my tenant!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All,

Well, I thought I'd share an interesting landlord story with you all, my tenant was removed last night from one of our IPs by the police in a seige where the tenant pulled out a machete!!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/home-siege-with-machete/2008/07/24/1216492578089.html

It's not the end of the world though because the tenant is actually the Department of Housing and they will fix all the damage and also keep paying the rent.

Ahhh...the joys of investment property!!!!

that is funny! had a couple of cases where we have read about things in the paper and realised they were our tenants being arrested.

Land,

I hope you have framed it, ought to be a good topic of conversation at your next dinner party!:D

Regards Jo

Hi Keith,

The ironic thing is that he's been the best tenant I've ever had for the last 18months or so, really looks after the place and does lots of little repairs etc, so I'm not quite sure what happened. I thnk there may be a mental illness thing which is very sad really.

Keith, would you care to share your opinions on when we may see some growth up in that neck of the woods soon? I was silly about bought in late 2004 and prices have dropped back since then, I've considerd 'shooting the dog' and getting rid of it, but I'd lose money on it, and I'm sure as soon as I sold, prices would start moving again, so I don't want to make that mistake.

Some say that the highway upgrade will make a big difference, what do you think?

Land

maybe nothing happened. maybe he has no mental illness. maybe he just snapped and got really p1ssed off one day, things snowballed and he put up a fight because he is in an aggressive state of mind at the time the cops showed up.

either way, it's just gold that it happens to be YOUR house.

Hi,

Think of the bright side, he may be going for a stay at Her Majesties pleasure, the D of H will continue to pay the rent, and no wear and tear. (unless of course he wore and tore it with the machete ;) )

bye

i am the first to admit that i keenly read the drug busts and arrests etc, just to check if any of the addresses/tenants are mine - just to see if i'm going to be out some rent due to crime scene stuff.

Keith, would you care to share your opinions on when we may see some growth up in that neck of the woods soon? I was silly about bought in late 2004 and prices have dropped back since then, I've considerd 'shooting the dog' and getting rid of it, but I'd lose money on it, and I'm sure as soon as I sold, prices would start moving again, so I don't want to make that mistake.

Some say that the highway upgrade will make a big difference, what do you think?
Hi Land,

I can't see any upward movement for a couple of years. Vacancies are v. low ATM, so you should have tenants lining up. Sales are v. slow. V. little has gone up since the vendor tax. I think shooting the dogs should be encouraged.... you'll probably feel a lot better after it's gone.

They're making progress on the highway, another couple of years away till complete I'd guess.... the widening at Lawson has just started. It'll make the upper mtns about 10 minutes closer to Sydney (or 1h 10mins on a Sunday arvo). I don't think there'll be a significant effect on values though.

Cheers Keith

Hi reading this story brought back memories of one of my tenants.It was over a year ago now and I received an email from my property manager that my tenant had been shot dead in the doorway whilst his pregnant girlfriend watched on.Apparently my tenant had answered the door only to be confronted by a gentleman holding a gun demanding drugs or money.The tenant agreed to the demands and went to a side dresser located near the door,but instead of money/drugs he pulled out a gun and was subsquently shot in the back and killed.The girlfriend of the tenant moved out quickly(fair enough)but left behind a lot of possessions and mess.After a month or so I asked her to remove the remainder of their belongings and clean up the place so I could rent it out again.(I had not received rent for over a month).She informed me that I was heartless and she thought she could leave her belongings there for 6 months rent free.I had no intention of pursuing her for the months rent and I thought a month was fair enough for her to get their affairs in order.Anyway after threatening to take a tip truck to the property she eventually moved her things out.Can you guess where this property was located?
Regards Martin

Back