Homes officially out of reach for under 35's

It's not easy trying to save a reasonable deposit

No-one guaranteed it would be easy. It's not meant to be easy. Why would you expect it to be easy ??

then with a mortgage on my own I'd still have to pay rates, maintenance etc.

Welcome to the real world.....you reckon it's tough renting, wait 'til you own the place and you have to pay for everything, instead of being subsidised by your Landlord.

What is forcing people to stay and work in Australia ? Homes here in the Philippines are very affordable. Lots of opportunities for those interested in outsourcing earning aussie dollars while spending the peso. Maybe younger people need to look further than metro Sydney, Melb or Perth. There is a big wide world out there.

I am nearing 40, I am single with no children yet I am still struggling to get onto the property ladder.

Is there a reason why you have waited this long to try to buy property? 15 years ago property was relatively cheap, but both today's and historical standards, and you could have bought in then.

When my husband moved to Brisbane after he finished uni (at the age of 28, started at 24) he moved into a sharehouse close to the city with 4-5 other people. He paid $195/week rent/utilities/etc and in two years saved more than 40k on a 55k pa job. When I moved to Brisbane (with no savings after living by myself for years) we saved a bit more and then bought our house 8 months later.

I think the problem is that it's easier to whinge about not being able to get into the property market than actually making lifestyle changes to do it. I agree that as an adult it can be daunting, especially if you are accustomed to a particular lifestyle, but if only for a few years then it's not so bad. As Wylie has said, rent out your extra bedrooms and half of your mortgage is already paid- you'll probably end up chipping in yourself less than you do while renting your own place.

Is there a reason why you have waited this long to try to buy property? 15 years ago property was relatively cheap, but both today's and historical standards, and you could have bought in then.

The problem is not age (I didn't buy a property till I was 40 myself). The problem is learning to seriously save (something I didn't clue on to until my late 20s, and then only thanks to Noel Whittaker). Then comes learning how to invest, and learning also how to make an ever-higher salary. The recurrence of the word learning here correctly suggests a virtuous circle comes into play. This at least has been my experience.

This subject about housing affordability and how it is harder these day's for the young people pops up on SS quite often ...

Very quickly ... My wife and I are in our early fifties, .. anyway, 10 years ago we had to start again. We had no home and very little savings (poor business decision) .... Since then we have built up a good property portfolio and we are tracking well for our future and about to start our first sub-division.

We bought our first flat screen TV last year as part of us renovating one of our IP's that we moved into. We don't have pay TV or the brand new car or furniture or a smart phone, but we are very comfortable, so when I hear the young complain I feel like yelling at them because .... It can be done through sacrifice, persistence and bloody hard work.

You do what is needed to get where you want to go in life, but it takes effort and involves taking responsibility for your own future. If what you are doing isn't working then change what you are doing otherwise in five years you'll still be bleating on about how hard it is and how lucky the rest of us are.

Make a decision to start today!

Mystery .... :D

The problem is not age (I didn't buy a property till I was 40 myself). The problem is learning to seriously save (something I didn't clue on to until my late 20s, and then only thanks to Noel Whittaker). Then comes learning how to invest, and learning also how to make an ever-higher salary. The recurrence of the word learning here correctly suggests a virtuous circle comes into play. This at least has been my experience.

Thats very reassuring for me seeing someone of your stature starting late. I thought I was the odd one out on this forum by spending too much in my twenties and not waking up until my late 20's. Even after waking up it is a momentus effort to save enough and finally buy something. Took me another few years to get on the ladder.

I guess also priorities change, I seemed to wake up when I got married. Perhaps its true, every good man has a great woman

I guess also priorities change, I seemed to wake up when I got married. Perhaps its true, every good man has a great woman

That's it I think, Dan. Some blokes (like us at least) just don't grow up without a good woman to look forward to coming home to, it seems. Obviously, plenty of others are self-starters, and some are even proto-investment tycoons in primary school (just read a biography of Warren Buffett, for example). But I expect the majority of men are like us: Getting by on half a brain until the right woman comes along one day (when we are old enough to know a good thing when we see it) and plugs the other half of our brain back in.

That's it I think, Dan. Some blokes (like us at least) just don't grow up without a good woman to look forward to coming home to, it seems. Obviously, plenty of others are self-starters, and some are even proto-investment tycoons in primary school (just read a biography of Warren Buffett, for example). But I expect the majority of men are like us: Getting by on half a brain until the right woman comes along one day (when we are old enough to know a good thing when we see it) and plugs the other half of our brain back in.

So, I'm guessing it's the left (more logical and calculating) side that she plugged back in............. :)

Your right brain was of benefit to facilitate the creative ways in which to woo her in the first place ;)

I think the problem is that it's easier to whinge about not being able to get into the property market than actually making lifestyle changes to do it.

We bought our PPOR last year (<$300k) and the person renting it at the time said 'I wish we could buy it but we can never afford a house' whilst sucking down a can of VB, dragging on a smoke and watching foxtel on his 50"tv.

I think that many people just dont 'get it' they just cant mentally comprehend that they dont need a new iphone, they dont need a 50" flatscreen 3d tv, they dont need to drink, smoke, and do all the things that the adverts tell them they need to do.

We bought our PPOR last year (<$300k) and the person renting it at the time said 'I wish we could buy it but we can never afford a house' whilst sucking down a can of VB, dragging on a smoke and watching foxtel on his 50"tv.

I think that many people just dont 'get it' they just cant mentally comprehend that they dont need a new iphone, they dont need a 50" flatscreen 3d tv, they dont need to drink, smoke, and do all the things that the adverts tell them they need to do.

Its those subliminals. gets them everytime.

It's not easy trying to save a reasonable deposit

Definitely not easy.... takes alot of sacrifice and hard times especially when the majority of your peers in your age group are purchasing new cars, computers, tvs, latest tech/gadgets, designer clothes, travelling etc and you're left with not much due to being frugal.

I'm currently 23 and managed to save over 130k with minor investments in shares/term deposits.... therefore in my opinion, homes are not out of reach.

The hardest part has been motivation to continue to save and invest however I am beginning to follow Warren Buffet's philosophy on personal development -"It's better to hang out with people better than you. Pick out associates whose behaviour is better than yours and you'll drift in that direction"

Hello SS'ers :D

"It's better to hang out with people better than you. Pick out associates whose behaviour is better than yours and you'll drift in that direction"

Hello SS'ers :D

So long as those "better behaved" want you around, else you might turn them for the worse...?

Only jokin.....welcome to the forum 7smurfs, we have all types here.

Some we accept, others not so much as they try to drag us down to their level.

:D

Oh, and BTW well done you're a goer who will fit right in here.!!

I just read this article and I am really in shock. Main wow bit in bold.

Budget 2012: Middle-of-the-road families miss out on tax benefits

IT'S being hailed as a "Robin Hood" Budget, stealing from the miners to give to low and middle-income families.

But don’t get too excited. If you earn a combined income of more than $115,000 you’re unlikely to see much benefit.

And if you’re a single person without children, the Budget offered you even less.

Wayne Swan's "battler" Budget took $5 billion intended for company tax cuts and diverted them to tax benefits for 1.5 million families.

But families with two kids under 12 can only earn a combined income of up to $112,000 in order to qualify for an extra $200 a year under the Family Tax Benefit Part A.

Steve Campbell and his wife Kim earn more than this, but still find themselves struggling some weeks.

“The ALP have carried on with headline grabbers and acting like Robin Hood when a large portion of the families doing it tough, get nothing due to means testing,” said Mr Campbell, who lives in Brisbane with his two children, Aly, 5, and Dex, 3.

“If you and your spouse are gainfully employed to provide and pay the bills you get nothing."

Mr Campbell and his wife want to buy their own home but are finding it practically impossible.

“We can make the repayments, but we cannot get the $25,000 deposit required to get into a modest family home,” he said.

“It's taken for granted that families at our level are on easy street. Far from it.”

From July 1 next year families with two kids under 12 will get an extra $600 if they earn less than $78,000, and this drops to $200 if their income is between $78,000 and $112,000.

Families with two teenage children must have a combined income of less than $115,000 in order to get a $200 boost, and will get an extra $600 if they earn less than $85,000.

And while the Budget offered plenty of goodies to families, young singles felt left out in the cold.

A single person earning $80,000 will only be better off by 6 cents a week.

Nina Dela Cruz, 34, works in media and sales and wasn’t overjoyed by yesterday’s Budget, which yet again gave nothing to single tax payers.

“How about the people who are making the economy work? We have to wait until we get old or are forced to have children to benefit from the Government’s tax breaks.”

“We are the people who are making the economy strive – and we get zero.”

Ms Dela Cruz said that she doesn’t fall into the $300,000 bracket, but she is a high income earner and still finds it extremely difficult to plan for the future.

“I pay huge taxes and still all I see is prices going up and I get little in the way of concessions."

:eek:

Wow! So, how come on an income of over $112k/yr ... a take home pay of $90K+ ... or $1700+/wk ... can they not save anything?

Sorry, but something is really wrong in their priorities if that is the case.

As for the single high income earner having a whinge because they don't get anything from the government ... hell ... "no handouts" should be the norm and something to be proud of.

(Lizzie laments the future of Australia)

I know. You'd think they'd at least be able to put aside a basic $1000/month (or $250 a week) and save the 25k deposit in about 2 years. Even though that's long for their income level, it's at least something.

Back