Hopefully a sign of things to come

Bank West more trouble than they are worth, cost us between $40-80k because of the stunts they pulled after we signed our mortgage contracts.

You couldn't pay me 5.99% to borrow from them.

BankWest are currently paying me over 7% interest on a term deposit.

Unless they're like Milo Minderbinder, I can't see them making a profit from that rate differential. :D

GP

I'm with Bankwest and can't find anything about this. Is that a MB deal or for your eyes only?

BTW with our first BW loan they were woeful (slow, lots of errors, made a mess of settlement by losing paperwork etc), the last one - just last month - they were wonderful, couldn't fault them.

Mind you I think my MB was on the phone to them constantly keeping on their case.

All the best,

http://www.brokernews.com.au/contents/news/30781/details.aspx

"In a bid to win the affections of the recently revived first homebuyers market, BankWest has announced it will be dropping its two year fixed rate to 5.99% and launching a new website.

The rate, which will become effective on 17 November, is on par with NAB's 12 month fixed rate, and some 50bps below BankWest's rivals' two-year fixed products.

BankWest's head of mortgages and savings, Paul Vivian, said the bank was focussed on increasing competition in the mortgages market and the new fixed rate offer was one of the best around.

"Rates have been coming down and it's a good time for customers to make sure that they are getting the best deal possible," he said.

BankWest is also reducing the interest rate on other fixed rate loan terms with its one year fixed rate home loan reduced by 140bps to 6.29% and its three, four and five year fixed rate home loans reduced by 120bps to 6.69%.

The lender is one of three banks (NAB and St.George being the other two) to have moved on fixed rates since the RBA's latest reduction.

CBA, which is currently awaiting ACCC approval to acquire BankWest from its UK parent HBOS, is yet to make a similar move.

BankWest also launched a new website to help first homebuyers. The site has tips on finding a home, property checklists, moving guides, borrowing calculators and stamp duty data ."

Hiya GP

That fixed rate may not be aligned with their deposit rate per se.

They may have found some fund to provide say 200 mill at 4.8 % fixed for the next 2 years because the fund wants cash income surety.

Bankwest then onsells that money.

ta
rolf

Back