Hot tip - Roxby Downs

Here's a tip - Roxby Downs, 550 kms inland from Adelaide.

Normally i stay away from Mining towns as i think they are often too cyclical, but i guess i figure there's something different about this prospect as i'm settling on a property there this week. 6yrs old, got it for 275K, rent is $300pw.

BHP are very very soon to release tender documents to contractors for the mining of their $7-10 billion Olympic Dam expansion. Olympic dam at the moment is an underground operation, but BHP are expanding it to be open pit.

It will be one of the largest open pits in the world and the largest mining operation in Australia. The pit will span a staggering 2.5kms in length, 2.5 kms wide by 800m deep. It will have a lifespan of 50yrs.

The media knows Olympic Dam as being one of the existing 3 Uranium mines in Australia. People think "Olympic dam" and they think Uranium, but that does not do it justice... There is no orebody like it in the world. It has FOUR commodities - GOLD, SILVER, COPPER (worlds 5th largest copper deposit) and URANIUM (a staggering 38% of all known recoverable uranium on the planet).

BHP stands to make an unbelievable amount of money out of this project. As the project consists of 4 commodities, its future market sustainability is very strong.

The workforce currently is housed at Roxby Downs (16kms south of Olympic dam). Roxby has a population of 4000, and it is believed to double once the expansion gets underway. As it stands, Roxby Downs already has an accomodation issue with BHP forced to house some of its personnel at Woomera (74kms away) and at Port Augusta (260kms away).

Even though it is likely that many new employees will be housed in fly in /fly out camps, it is very likely there will be enormous demand placed on the towns existing infrastructure and housing.

Once tender documents are released and the media get hold of it, investors will become interested and prices will rise. Over the past 2 years the town has increased at about 10-12% pa, but is yet to have a significant price boom.

Houses are all fairly new, tidy, depreciable and current rents are good enough to make the property neatral after tax. With the onset of the expansion, rents will also rise significantly.

If ur interested, have a look on the internet and do ur due dilligence. I think an opportunity exists now to get in before the rush.

Cabo--Quote"(a staggering 38% of all known recoverable uranium on the planet)." well they don't know about Guyana yet-! But this is a property investment site- so we won't go there-- Congrats- on purchase - with a long mine life should be a nice earner

Here's a tip - Roxby Downs, 550 kms inland from Adelaide.

Normally i stay away from Mining towns as i think they are often too cyclical, but i guess i figure there's something different about this prospect as I'm settling on a property there this week. 6yrs old, got it for 275K, rent is $300pw.
Your post has the hallmarks of someone promoting a town that they hope for more Capital Gain in the future.

What color was the house, a sandy bone color or a sandy bone color? Seems all the houses there we're built with the same prototype, they vary but they all look built from a similar bulk material order from a large mining or construction company! I think it would be better going with developing a property and bring it in on a truck. Not a house in two peaces on a truck but a semi bringing all the materials for the builder to construct with.

But the mines control a lot of the land released for developments. I didn't look into the details of that I think they sometimes make a contract that you build the dwelling and the mining company lease it back to there mining workers.

After seeing Roxby Downs I drove away thinking that town could be the next "Broken Hill" touristy wise as well. Woomera looks like a dead ghost town it's eerie that place couldn't understand why people were not using it for accommodation when the caravan park at the time (6-8 months ago was turning away 20-25 people a week and 'zero' vacancy in town. The only place I seen in Australia that had a zero vacancy sign on the front window.

Also I have to say pathetic agent at Raine & Horne and I think there is only two agencies to deal with in town.

"As a mining engineer, this must be very difficult for you to do...."

Dazzling, yes, its all the more reason to stay away from mining towns, as i do love them so - NOT!:)

"Your post has the hallmarks of someone promoting a town that they hope for more Capital Gain in the future. "

Jaffasoft, I don't think this forum will have anywhere near as big an impact on the price of property price in Roxby as what the media will have. In short, i'm not trying to plug Roxby to this forum for capital gains, but rather, being a nice sharing kind of person, i'm giving everyone some info and background on what i think is a good opportunity so if they are interested, they can make a move before everyone else does.... just as i've told my private investing buddies about it too.

Take it as u will mate.

thanks for the heads up...as always appreciate the opportunities that arise here. all investment should be done on the back of your own due dilligence, but it makes it easier when someone provides a little info for you.
Thanks!

Cheers,
CairnsAgent

Too late -us Adelaidians have known about Roxby for years; prices there are more expensive than many Adelaide homes. The focus has now moved south, towards the Iron triangle but probably already too late for bargains there now!

I had to smile :D when I saw this post....we have been down this road before

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10281&highlight=roxby+downs

those that were around to get the earlier post will have cleaned up by now!!!

Chris

yes, as an example, 3br house on 800sqm for 325k renting out to BHP at $300pw doesn't seem like a very good deal for a mining town. Bit of a gamble, but things do sound promising with Olympic Dam expansions.

Compared to Karratha for e.g. where house prices are high, but rents are so high it makes it a reasonable option, not great but reasonable.

Yes I had the same thoughts.
Yields are pretty poor for a mining town.

Two things could happen here.
If the demand chronically outstrips supply then rents will rise strongly. ( eg.... Mt Isa over the last 12 months, and most of the Pilbara towns in WA)
Or, the mining company will be proactive in supplying required housing which will will keep a cap on the rent and property values.

BHP tend to be happy to be in the 'property' business based on what they are spending in Hedland.
Xstrata and Rio tend not to want to be in the property business, which is another clue as to what happens in those towns when they do massive expansions, and need to employ ( and house) all te extra staff, as well as the flow on effect to outsourced contractors who have to house their staff as well.

What we have noticed is that when new subdivisions are released and new houses are built, that you have a re rating of both property values and rents for that town.

Its got so obvious that its almost predictable now.

The next effect, if this new stock still does not satisfy demand for housing, then the higher rents and property values will flow onto the existing ( and old) resi properties.

The next phase imo, is that when you do finally satisfy this demand, then the inflated values of the 'old' properties will fall first.
Therefore those are the properties to keep away from.

Rents, if they correct, tend to come back marginally and not drastically ( ie... they don't halve )

One thing we have noticed is that one you reach 'silly' numbers then the corporate tenants ( typicall the mining company or companies) will put a cap on it and resort to other means to keep their operations running.
This includes more fly in fly out, including to a number of destinations other than the major capital city in the area.

The next phase is to find the next new thing that will get the same treatment when the mining or gas company steps in to open up new greenfield projects in areas where there is currently no meaningful infrastructure, either commercial or residential.

kp

Heres a question for you all.....

Most analysts don't appear to be tipping big things for the Adelaide real estate market at the present moment, however there is alot of mining dollars going into areas like Roxby Downs. Perth had a very very large real estate bounce on the back of the mining expenditure and so did (to a slightly lesser extent) Darwin.

Do you beleive the investment in Roxby Downs is going to flow through in a big way to prices in Adelaide?

Good capital gain

Housing prices in the town have doubled in the last 3 years. Bought 2 houses in about 2004, got them valued last week, not bad growth for a mining town. The rent has gone up as well, at $250 when we bought them and now getting $350.

Nice little town.

Cheers
quoll

Heres a question for you all.....

Do you beleive the investment in Roxby Downs is going to flow through in a big way to prices in Adelaide?

Central Qld miners park their families 3-6 hours away on the coast, and travel down there once a fortnight. They also invest on the coasts - Mackay, Yeppoon, Gladstone. But they also invest in Hervey Bay and Sunshine Coast.

Many WA miners, after believing WA topped out, started sending money to Brisbane bayside.

I'd expect Roxby Downs miners to do a combination of the above. Put some of their money into making their families comfortable, perhaps in Adelaide. And some of their money into seaside locales appropriate for retirement and reasonable capital gains. Whether that is in SA I am too ignorant to say.

Reactions: qaz
Central Qld miners park their families 3-6 hours away on the coast, and travel down there once a fortnight. They also invest on the coasts - Mackay, Yeppoon, Gladstone. But they also invest in Hervey Bay and Sunshine Coast.

Many WA miners, after believing WA topped out, started sending money to Brisbane bayside.

I'd expect Roxby Downs miners to do a combination of the above. Put some of their money into making their families comfortable, perhaps in Adelaide. And some of their money into seaside locales appropriate for retirement and reasonable capital gains. Whether that is in SA I am too ignorant to say.

Good post, thanx for the info.

New investor - roxby

I have been looking for an investment pty for past 6 months and have just signed a contract at roxby today. I flew to roxby and spent 2 days in the town last week to see whether the hype was real. Spoke to the locals, council, BHP housing dpt, miners and agents. One thing I took away was that the buzz was real and that SA is about to see the benfits over the next 5-10years.

Word is that BHP have 30 rigs digging 3km x 3km x 2km and are still finding ore. I agree that when the "official" announcement is made there will be big demand. This will be a massive mine and uranium is only a small % of the mined ore.

On the housing front, The supply is VERY short and it appears as though demand appears to struggle to match, BHPs "copper sands" development is very stock standard and has had some back lash from public (and is further out from CBD albeit only 1.5-2kms).

Prices may have already grown and yields may only be around 6-6.5% but the future looks very strong in Rdowns.

- Population projected to 4,000-10,000plus
- Full time employment jobs double at mine
- Currently 1000 homes (with 70 families on waiting lists)
- BHP have realeased 121 homes built in July 2008;Announced plan for another 100 for Sept 2008...this will accomodate 1000 families
- new airport to land 727s already being planned
- new rail line from Pimba to Olympic Dam
- Expansion proposed for 2009

This is real and it will be big. My instincts say that based on supply and demand SA will be the state to watch over next 10 years including Whyalla, Port August which will be key service centres for mining development such as Olmpic Dam, Beverly and the likes.

Heres hoping anyway!

Forgot to mention the zero vacant rates. Jump on realestate.com.au and check out how many rental ptys are in Moranbah and Dysart (QLD). Then check SA and Roxby Downs (there arent any). This aint getting better in next 5 years only worse with the influx of population and slow development of resi. Key is to get in BEFORE BHP release media to masses.

I have heaps of mates in VIC, WA & QLD who invest in pty and have not even heard of this Roxby before - this will change in next 2 years as BHP release more concrete plans.

Cheers

Back