Hot water system

Hi

The hot water tank at my IP just died, so I need to replace it.

The hot water is currently run off electricity, however I have been thinking of changing it to gas as we will be moving into the property next year.

How do I go abouts doing this? The property currently does not have gas.

Also, does anyone have a contact that can help with this job?

Thanks

You will need to contact a gas plumber or AGL directly (they have a contracting division if required).

The unit will need to go externally (unlike electric units) or you will need to have a chimney and flue to vent externally through the roof.

I do want the unit outside, so that works well.

Ok will call AGL, thanks.

Do I need to get the tenant to agree to the changeover to gas? Do they pay for all ongoing usage costs?

Changing from electric to gas water heater system is better. Gas water heaters cost lesser than electric, its even more efficient beacuse its faster heating effect. Why not call a gas company in your area to know the scope of work and related fees.

Hi

The hot water is currently run off electricity, however I have been thinking of changing it to gas as we will be moving into the property next year.

Thanks

If it has just died and the tenant has no hot water you are simply not going to have enough time to get the gas connected and to change over to a gas water heater.

It will take a considerable amount of time to actually run the gas to your property. Then on top of that the actual plumbing required to connect up the water heater.

The only way you could change over in an emergency situation is to have all the necessary elements in place ready to go.

Cheers

Stupid thought - can a gas hot water system temporarily run off a gas bottle? Then the OP could install a replacement gas hot water system in emergency time frames, then switch to mains gas when it is installed?

Don't know if that is even possible but might be worth asking the question.

Jason

Stupid thought - can a gas hot water system temporarily run off a gas bottle? Then the OP could install a replacement gas hot water system in emergency time frames, then switch to mains gas when it is installed?

Don't know if that is even possible but might be worth asking the question.

Jason

It is possible but the water heater internal gas outlet need to be modified from LPG to NG

The problem would be that you then commit yourself to the gas change over without any confirmation that gas can even be connected to the property.

So from trying to save money by going to NG you will now pay even more than electricity by being stuck with LPG.

Cheers

Hi

Thanks
Just work out the cost factor,, electricity will be a simple reinstall as long as the area is the same,Gas as other's more experienced have said the time frame for a gas refit can vary..i'm still running all elec's hws the old saxons are in their 12 year range,then when they blow up their worth $75.00 plus in bright-copper..
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/T...cations/Plumbing_draining_and_gasfitting.html

I believe that if there is gas "to the property" to cannot change over from electric to another electric storage system. You must change to something more energy efficient (gas, heat pump...). I'm told by our plumber that this is being policed and checked on quite rigorously.

I don't know if gas "to the property" means it is in the street and "could" be run into the property or just means there is already gas cooking to the house.

I'm also told by our plumber that we would be looking at between $3K and $5K to change to a more energy efficient water heating system, depending on what we choose and the cost to install it, as opposed to aboug $1500 to swap over an electric storage heater for the same type.

What about a heat pump?

Thanks for the replies.

My plumber had a look and the premise has an existing galvanized pipework. Not sure if this is a live connection to the gas main located in the street, and whether it is just a matter of AGL turning the switch on?

I got a quote to do the following:
• Supply and fix 20mm diameter gas quality copper pipe from the to be installed gas meter for an approximate distance of 15metres to the new instantaneous gas hot water system. The pipework will be surface mounted on the rendered masonry wall.
• Supply and fix 20mm diameter copper pipe from existing cold water supply located in the laundry to the new hot water system.
• Connect new 20mm diameter lagged copper pipe from new hot water system and connect to existing hot water pipework located in laundry.
• Supply and install new 26 litre Rinnai Gas Instantaneous hot water system. Please note that the HWS will be positioned at a height of approximately 2.0m to the underside of the unit above ground level so that it does not overly restrict the width of the passageway.
• Supply and install external power point adjacent to the new hot water system.

Does $3,450 sound reasonable for this job (The water system is approx $1,100)?

In the future I also want to install a gas cooktop and some gas heating. Is a 20mm copper pipe sufficient?

Also does anyone have experience with the Rinnai 26 water systems? Is there a particular model that you would recommend?

Last edited:
We were discussing this exact scenario with our plumber this week when we thought the electric storage system had gone kaput. The ballpark figure he said was replacement with new electric storage (same as old) would be about $1,500 and new instant gas (or other alternatives - heat pump being one of them) would start at about $3.5K upwards to possibly $6K for some options (depending on which system we go with and how much pipework is required).

He did say that cost would depend on whether the gas line already into the house might not be big enough to suit gas cooking PLUS gas water heating.

He says he installs pipes large enough to take more gas appliances so that any upgrade in the future doesn't require larger pipes having to be installed.

When this heater finally does kick up its heels, we will have to bite the bullet and go gas because he will not risk being audited (which we understand). He said the fines are tough, and plumbers are being checked, and their books checked.

I am told by AGL that I need to get my plumber to install a 'path valve'. Does anyone know what this is?

Also, my driveway is fully paved / concrete. Is it ok for AGL to install the gas pipes above the ground (against the side of a wall), or should they really install the pipes underground?

serrz;968794 Is it ok for AGL to install the gas pipes above the ground (against the side of a wall) said:
i had copper pipes along the side of a drive that had a drop off at the side, in a past house

worked fine

Back