house rules / reno rumble

Without being too offensive, does anyone else think that the My House Rules contestants are all at the lower end of inteligence? They all seem really nice but none appear to be that bright. I wonder if this is part of the selection process?

Um - yes - but only voiced it in the privacy of my own home .... :D

The House Rules guys seem more bogan - whilst the blockheads are more classy ... and it shows in their renovation results ... if that makes me a snob then so be it

I watched 5 mins of this show the other day before I had to switch it off.

It is just so blatantly obviously staged.

The contestants/actors clearly don't do a thing. It's as bad as when politicians do a tv spot at a construction site and they are holding a hammer above a nail for the cameras.

All the guys wearing revealing gym singlets with the low cut sides to reveal their pecks as they pose for the camera while "renovating" lol'd so hard at that.

And the strategic placement of dirt on the actors to give the impression they've been working. Haha one guy had a smudge of grease on his face "exactly" next to where he held his phone for a call and where of course the camera zoomed in on. But somehow he had perfectly clean hands and no dirt or marks on the rest of him (the parts that weren't being zoomed in on).

I've never ever done any reno work and ended up with dirt all over my face, but somehow with perfectly clean hands. How the hell would that even happen? Is he cleaning out the oven with his face?

Or another shot where some guy was talking to the camera and had plaster dust on his shoulders which looked like hand prints where someone obviously patted the dust on him for his close up. And again no dust or dirt anywhere else on his body. Trust me if you've got plaster dust on your shoulders while renovating then you've got it in your hair, on your face, in the corner of your eyes, and up your nose. Somehow these "contestants" avoid all of that unsightly mess and manage to get the placement strategically where the cameras are zoomed in on in the shot...amazing!

I watched 5 mins of this show the other day before I had to switch it off.

It is just so blatantly obviously staged.

The contestants/actors clearly don't do a thing.

We must be watching a different show. I don't think it is overly "staged". Like "The Block" they get in and do the work, or pay tradies. They cannot afford not to do some things and there is a clear difference in work done by the tradie contestants vs non-tradie contestants.

I've done dozens of renos over the years. I believe it when I see interviews with contestants on The Block saying unless you've been on the show you have no idea of the pressure you are under, the stress of having a camera on you 24/7.

And the women/wives do their share (most of them anyway) but clearly if hubby and I were on the show, he would be swinging a hammer and I would have to shop and paint. There's no way I can do the carpentry and no way he would shop.

I would have liked to see how the two cousins who didn't make it onto The Block would have coped as I'm guessing they would have had to pay tradies much more than the other couples.

We must be watching a different show. I don't think it is overly "staged". Like "The Block" they get in and do the work, or pay tradies. They cannot afford not to do some things and there is a clear difference in work done by the tradie contestants vs non-tradie contestants.

I've done dozens of renos over the years. I believe it when I see interviews with contestants on The Block saying unless you've been on the show you have no idea of the pressure you are under, the stress of having a camera on you 24/7.

And the women/wives do their share (most of them anyway) but clearly if hubby and I were on the show, he would be swinging a hammer and I would have to shop and paint. There's no way I can do the carpentry and no way he would shop.

I would have liked to see how the two cousins who didn't make it onto The Block would have coped as I'm guessing they would have had to pay tradies much more than the other couples.

Now you've got me thinking. I'll have to double check that I've got the right show.

So many reno shows that are all the same I probably mixed one up.

Just checked the one I was talking about was house rules.

From what I saw the show looked ridiculously staged.

Were you refering to reno rumble or house rules?

I'm watching Channel 9 (with Scott Cam) Reno Rumble with contestants from The Block vs contestants from one of the reno shows I didn't watch from about two years ago.

I cannot get enough of renovation shows really :D.

Edit: Just googled House Rules and will have to check it out too. I think it was House Rules from a few years ago that was very confusing and I couldn't quite follow the rules. I don't know if I continued on with it?

There's one on before Homes under the Hammer weekday afternoons. 60 minute makeover or something. Have you seen it? I honestly couldn't tell the after pictures from the before ones! Last week they put a huge slay bed in a tiny bedroom. It was touching each wall, to get to the other side of the room they had to literally climb over the bed! And everyone thought it was wonderful.

All cheap loud wallpaper and crappy furniture in English shoebox council estate houses.
And all done in 60 minutes.

The best British reno show by far is "front of house".

They never disappoint in completely and utterly ****ing people's houses over.

Me and my wife call it **** up the front of your house.

Brilliant show. Love the neighbours reactions, comments like "it's different" or "it's um interesting".

The best British reno show by far is "front of house".

They never disappoint in completely and utterly ****ing people's houses over.

Me and my wife call it **** up the front of your house.

Brilliant show. Love the neighbours reactions, comments like "it's different" or "it's um interesting".

I've only ever watched it once ... and they had a really interesting idea with putting timber slats and some wire mesh stuff on the front of the house which I thought looked quite good ...

... and then they totally screwed it up with a huge, bright blue neon number sign, the most dog ugly and massive water feature with a timber bench and - what the heck was that - wavy-topped, shiny silver, knee high fence made up of mismatched panels ... destroyed any hope of looking half decent

I've only ever watched it once ... and they had a really interesting idea with putting timber slats and some wire mesh stuff on the front of the house which I thought looked quite good ...

... and then they totally screwed it up with a huge, bright blue neon number sign, the most dog ugly and massive water feature with a timber bench and - what the heck was that - wavy-topped, shiny silver, knee high fence made up of mismatched panels ... destroyed any hope of looking half decent

Hahahahaha

Sounds about right.

I have so many favourites. I especially like it when they rip out really nice original features and replace them with God awful alternatives.

The one where they installed curtains with massive bits of fruit on each one was good. Or when they painted blood down the front of the goths house. Or when they concreted a path in with foot prints. Or when they painted lighting bolts all over the front of the persons house.

Boy there are just too many good episodes.

My wife joked that if we ever saw them rock up to our house we would come out with a baseball bat.

Bit of a shock result - but totally valid.

The Blockeheads were great on style but bad on practicality - pretty much as they were in the bedrooms (except the House Rules guys were even worse).

Loved the "blues" loungeroom

Without being too offensive, does anyone else think that the My House Rules contestants are all at the lower end of inteligence? They all seem really nice but none appear to be that bright. I wonder if this is part of the selection process?

I contrast this to The Block contestants who seem miles ahead. The Reno Rumble show highlights this a bit.

This does not necessarily affect the reno/styling abilities. Just an observation.

I'm another one who came to the same conclusion. I find the people generally on House Rules are irritating, especially the first series with the bull dog and dopey :D who are now on RR, whereas with The Block the people are more palatable even with D&D being ****holes sometimes. Its like swallowing a piece of glass compared to a tablet!

I like watching these shows to see what they do, with House Rules being more relevant to the average person working on a normal suburban home, although I prefer to watch the Block as far as a TV show, and fortunately not so much stupid stuff as the last few series trying to be funny/cartoonish. The kids make up just as much of the audience as the adults as I discovered. As for the judges on the Block, is this a renovating show or decorating, get real. Points off for not putting the hand chop into the top of the cushion, but don't worry about the perfect finish/workmanship.

But watching RR and House Rules back to back each night is getting confusing, I forget which show I am watching. :confused:

Back