House with 2 bricks removed & cracking. Thinking of offer.

Hi All,

Im thinking about putting a deposit on a house that I actually like.

Judging by the style I would say its a early 1970's house. Maybe late 60's.

Found some cracks (fine hair cracking type) in mortar running for about 1 metre, in a few directions just on one wall close to a corner of the house.. This area had two bricks removed on purpose with mortar cleaned up, located in centre of wall where all the cracks probably intersect. The bricks are in their original position just without mortor and sitting on a few pieces of dowel. :confused:

Wonder why someone would deliberate do this ? Maybe a special way to relieve stress in the wall.

No sign of cracks on the plaster work inside the house.

Theres a side concrete path that runs next to the whole length of this particular wall and this shows 3 large cracks (1/2 metre) apart. (Perhaps some how water is getting underneath or maybe not enough moisture getting into the ground there causing shrinkage)

Property is on a gentle slop front to back with the house locate on the upper height area at front.

During inspection theres a structural report that was done for all to see. Just highlighted sound minor foundation seattling with <2mm cracking on the side.. The rest seemed ok. Not sure if its wise to trust this structural report or subject my offer to my own report done.

My parents live in a suburb next to this one, and theres reactive clay soil everywhere. My parents house has more soil movement than the house Im looking at..

Just wondering if what I described above should set off any warning alerts.. especially whats up with the 2 missing bricks? Any special way I should navigate my questioning with the REA to suss out anything funny?

This house fits me probably about 85% its just missing a garage. Both houses on the side have large tin garages at the rear, I guess I can assume getting council approval to whack a shed down the back in theory should be okay. or is it better to check with council incase of rules changing alot between the years?

Thanks all! :D

Hi All,

Im thinking about putting a deposit on a house that I actually like.

Judging by the style I would say its a early 1970's house. Maybe late 60's.

Found some cracks (fine hair cracking type) in mortar running for about 1 metre, in a few directions just on one wall close to a corner of the house.. This area had two bricks removed on purpose with mortar cleaned up, located in centre of wall where all the cracks probably intersect. The bricks are in their original position just without mortor and sitting on a few pieces of dowel. :confused:

Wonder why someone would deliberate do this ? Maybe a special way to relieve stress in the wall.

No sign of cracks on the plaster work inside the house.
Thanks all! :D

The bricks could have been removed to address a plumbing problem. Its a bit like micro surgery where the plumber gains access to the internal wall without damaging the bathroom.

The cracking around the area could have occurred in the process of removing the bricks.

Not enough info to comment of the rest of the cracks. Pictures would help.

Cheers

The bricks could have been removed to address a plumbing problem. Its a bit like micro surgery where the plumber gains access to the internal wall without damaging the bathroom.

The cracking around the area could have occurred in the process of removing the bricks.

Not enough info to comment of the rest of the cracks. Pictures would help.

Cheers

Yeah actually thats starting to make sense, since thats directly the area where the kitchen sinks are..

Thanks for giving me a possible logically conclusion, never through about that. :D

Back