Housing Affordability "Whingers"

I wrote this for my blog, but thought it was worthy of posting here...

---

Well, the big news of today is that the cash rate has risen 25 basis points. It now stands at 6.5%. I am too young to remember the late 1980s and early 1990s where interest rates reached 20% — but it happened, so I am hardly complaining at the current 6.5%.

Of late, it seems the trend has been to blame the Liberal Government for the interest rate rise. The Government is not completely unaccountable, as their previous election promise went along the lines of:

Interest rates will always be lower under a Coalition government than under a Labor government.

An election ploy, and hardly a provable statement. But it still doesn't mean the current Liberal Government is to blame for interest rates.

So, back to housing affordability...

The alleged housing affordability issue has been branded in the media as simply the "housing crisis". Strong words, but looking into the issue more, I have to wonder for whom housing is a "crisis" for. In the past decade, housing prices have increased a great deal. The boom of 1999-2003 made a lot of money for a lot of people. Surely that's a good thing? More equity for those owning a house or few.

Not for those who default on their loans. This article notes that the amount of mortgage insurance claims has risen from $49 million to $210 million in two years. At first glance, this may look bad, but one has to remember that house prices only boomed a few years ago and it would be just now when those whom over-extended themselves a few years ago are feeling the pinch, and hence making insurance claims. Thus, the average mortgage claim amount would be much larger, (as more needed to be borrowed to purchase a house in recent times). This largely accounts for the sharp rise the fiscal increase in claims. Recently, 2GB radio broadcaster Alan Jones noted that less than 0.70% of all mortgages in Australia are defaulted, which was said to be much the same as it has always been. And these are mainly people who over-extended themselves with debt, possibly under-stating their existing financial obligations when applying for a mortgage.

House prices have risen, but Alan Jones also noted that a real "housing crisis" would exist, if house prices, not went up, but rather went down. Indeed, a lot of people would be in real trouble if this happened.

So then, who are the ones feeling the pinch?

I think it comes down to the first home owner. I myself, am looking to purchase my first property, so the last property boom has made it harder to get into the market. But, how hard is it? Working for 1 or 2 years to save a deposit isn't exactly hard — just slow. But did previous generations have it any easier? After hearing stories of people who are double my age, with interest rates nearly 20%, and getting mortgages before industry deregulation, do current first home owners really have it that bad?

When putting it all into perspective, I would say things are pretty good. House prices in my home city of Adelaide still relatively cheap against other Australian capital cities, and are poised to rise in the next few years.

So, where is this "housing crisis", so often referred to in the mainstream media? I'm still looking. It must be election time...

Ok, Ill give you my take on the interest hike "wingers"

I was watching the news tonight where a reporter was walking the city streets, asking average Jo's what they thought about the rises, all werte in sivvy's and didnt look like they were off to anywhere in a hurry,
they all said, oh, poor me, Ive got it hard enough already, we struggle to survive every week, what am I supposed to do now!?

I got very angry with them, firstly, they obdviously werent working hard, if at all, wanted it all handed to them on a silver platter, couldnt understand why it was them who are so poor, etc etc.

GET A BLOODY JOB!!!
Work hard, something youve probarbly never thought of doing or are just too lazy,

I heard a good comment my dad came out with a few days ago, he bought a new truck and van for his company cars and as his technician walked in [he works whenever he feels like it..] he says "Whoaaaa! whats with the flash cars ey? doing well are we?..."
my old man said "yea, see what happens when you work?"....
I just laughed,:D

its that simple, WORK FOR GODS SAKE!! life wasnt meant to e easy, I read a book on "how to pay off your mortgage in 5 years" that was written when interest rates were at 18% STOP WHINGING!!

if interest rates get to 18% again...

the rich will just get richer...

If in 10 years interest rates are 18%

I will pack up sell the house and live off the interest...

@ 18% interest it would be happy days for me.

what was the Aussie / US dollar comparison when interest rates were above 10%??

Slight flaw in that plan Keneth is that the increasing interest rates are likely to lower house prices meaning you have less capital to put in the bank to be earning your 18%... hope you don't have a high LVR

Plus, if interest rates are 18%, then inflation would be high too. Possibly 12 to 16%. Oh dear, big trouble. The 18% from interest would be no better off in real terms than todays.

What happens to Property and shares though? With 18% interest. Too complicated for me, that bit.

See ya's.

When money is cheap..houses aren't and vice versa...
Although in the current climate as rates go up, it forces the bottem end of the real estate market up..more demand for entry level properties means higher prices for lesser properties and this can then spread to middle and higher price bracketed properties.
Its amazing the difference you get in a $300k home to a $500k home, but most cant afford the $500k home and that is what creates the value..they are harder to sell, less demand, so you get better value for your money in terms of construction and size...
damn rate rises! lol

Firstly, both the RBA and Howard have accepted the rate rise was due to the strong economy (even though he was initially suggesting it was due to debt that the state govts were going to take on in the future). Now if we accept Howard and Costello's claims that the economy is strong due to their compotent economic management skills, then yes, he is responsible for the rate rise. Other wise they aren't responsible for either. The problem is that people think a rate rise is bad. A rate drop would be bad, it would indicate we are heading for trouble.

Affordability is always poor when employment rates are high, when employment drops, affordability increases, historically. In reality the 'difficulty' in buying a home stays static. It's difficult when there is high demand and prices are sky rocketing, and it is difficult when jobs are being lost and lenders don't want to offer risky loans.

If house prices drop, yes there will be pain, but will there be more people on the streets? I don't think so, the houses are still there, someone will buy them for a cheaper price and either live in them or rent them out. The house doesn't disappear, equity may, but if you can still afford the repayments, a dropping house price means very little to the home owner.

Comparing the difficulty of buying a first home today to the late 80s is problematic. First inflation was far higher back then, so when you took out a loan, the value of the loan reduce far quicker as prices and wages increased. The second problem is that house prices are far higher in relation to wages now compared to the late 80s, so the average mortgage must also be larger. The real cost of borrowing is higher. And third with house prices growing at 15% (in Brisbane over the past 12 months) the longer you save the more you fall behind the price of property. So you many see borrowing now at 100% LVR as a smarter way to buy the house you want for less money.

I think the media like to make the affordability issue a whinge fest, but if you look at FHB rates of buying, it doesn't really seem to be impacting. When I discuss affordability (a measure of house prices against wages) I use it in the context that house prices have departed from fundamental support. And if affordability is to return to normal rates, then this must have implications for medium to long term capital growth for property. This isn't a given, but a factor to take into account, previously there have been valid reasons why affordability has decreased permanently.

no wonder i don't sleep well some nights ...

on one hand - the east coast is tipped to be heading for a boom, so should i ramp up my lvr and buy with the "risk" of good cg, even tho the rental returns don't cover the mortgage immediately upon purchase?

on the other hand - interest rates are potentially rising even further within 12 months, so my rental returns will fall even further behind the repayment required, or stay static as rents rise (but then i miss out on the properties being neutral geared in the short term). so, i don't buy in anticipation of having to service a higher debt repayment - which might not be possible - but then miss out on potential good cg.

my poor brain .... :eek:

Lizzie, I agree, PI is only easy in hindsight, but in the here and now there's a ton of uncertainty which means we need courage. My knees are sometimes a little bit wobbly though :eek:

i think you people who already own houses need to realise times have changed. there is no need to be calling people whingers in regards to housing affordability. its a fact, australia have some of the most unaffordable cities in the world.

Its all very well to say people of today are whingers but when it comes down to it. Wages have not increased by 200% like houses have. Wages have not increased by 400% like like groceries have.

The cost of living has increased dramatically. A lot of investors, have been lucky. Now dont think your smart and clever because you bought in mtwaverly in 1996 for 130k and its now worth 500k. I think its fair to say you have been very fortunate in some respects.

My mum received a letter in the mail that the rent had increased by 25% next 1/4. Now she is a single mother of 2. We are on moving out at the end of the year. Rent had gone to over $400 a week for a 3 bedroom townhouse in Oakleigh.

I can see how people are struggling to afford housing, whilst renting at the same time.

Oakleigh is not a high profile suburb, i wouldnt have thought, but It is obviously pushing a lot of people out of the market. with the way things are going. not long ago it was seen as a fairly rough area.

Houses in oakleigh have gone from 120k in 1996 to 500k in 2007.

i would't have thought wages would have increased by that much.

There are people batting out there. maybe not a time to be so self centred, a lot of good fortune fell into the hands of home buyers in the mid 90's and beleive it if, the housing boom could have occurred during the 80's , it could have been you priced out of the market. having to pay over 10 times your wage for a median priced house.

on a loan of $300,000 your paying back $436,000 over 30 years! now to me that is insane, and that is with a deposit of $150k for a median price house in melbourne of 410k.

I am a beleiver that at some point housing growth must slow, and I think the rate hikes we are seeing are just the beginning.

All things being equal Those who have succeeded in the property market well done, but is there a need to take it out on those who had the same idea as you, but were just in a different generation?

Times have changed....

I am a beleiver that at some point housing growth must slow, and I think the rate hikes we are seeing are just the beginning.

Hi Keneth,

Do you have some factual evidence to back up this claim? Housing growth is subject to supply and demand. If demand is high, then the growth in house prices will continue.

In Melbourne the population is growing by 1000 people each week. This will increase the demand for the limited supply of residential property that there currently is.

Regards Jason.

Lizzie, I agree, PI is only easy in hindsight, but in the here and now there's a ton of uncertainty which means we need courage. My knees are sometimes a little bit wobbly though :eek:

How true! We do need courage. Is buying negatively geared IPs the way to go? There is a lot of talk of a booming East coast. But with interest rates in the high 7%s for low docs and the talk of another 25bps before year end, you're paying nearly 10% a year after all IP related expenses for an investment returning at most a gross yield of 4%. How many can you buy before your LOC dries up?? And with the highest MTR pushing out to $180k next FY, negative gearing benefits are further reduced. When the party stops for a couple of years all you're doing then is chewing up your hard earned equity to pay for exhorbitant maintenance expenses, which only increases, especially for older homes in traditional "good capital growth" areas. When it comes time to sell cos you've had jack of it all, you're left with nothing because your LVR is at 80% from all your top-ups and you have a massive CGT bill to pay.

Will prices drop 20%? Maybe. A mate of mine whos come back to visit from the US says its pretty dire out there. Places in East LA dropping a whopping 25-40% in the last couple of years. Imagine McMansions out in Kellyville dropping from $500k to $300k. And theres going to be more blood on the streets. Foreclosures are going through the roof. In the middle of the country, some folks are just packing up, boarding up their houses and leaving. Thieves and squatters then strip the house bare taking anything they can sell like copper pipes and building materials. This could be exaggeration by the media but it sounds to me like, last one out turn the lights off. Perhaps it won't happen to us because our proportion of sub-prime and low doc lending is only a small % of total mortgages. But with no end in sight to this 4 year tightening cycle, it could turn ugly and may take a while to unravel itself.

Who knows whats going to happen. Its all a game anyway and as long as you're having fun doing what you do, thats all that matters.

I am a first home buyer who just bought a house in Cherrybrook, Sydney. We will be moving in next month.

From what I see in the market is that there is going to be a definitive class divide in Sydney. I looked at the market and I see that there are plenty of sellers in the west, depressing prices. So it is cheaper, but I also see that because of interest rate rise there will be more and more people selling houses sooner or later further depressing prices. So I don't want to buy there purely for cg reasons. That's why I decided to pay more to buy in Cherrybrook because it seems there will always be strong demand over there and I need to protect my capital which is PPOR. I don't even know if I have made a right choice or not by stretching myself but I believe in quality (esp in higher interest rate market).

Currently I am renting in a 2 bedroom Strathfield apartment, with rent increased from $390/w in January to now $420/w to $440/w by next month (and will coninue to go up as I see it). So people who are renting are suffering because they actually save less to buy the first home. So that's why we are buying now because I am forced to. In fact I don't like the idea of property buying but higher and higher rent will force people to buy sooner or later.

Whilst I would like to wind back the clock to buy when it was all cheaper I cannot complain because that is life. Thank goodness I consider myself a decent saver.

Hi Keneth,

Do you have some factual evidence to back up this claim? Housing growth is subject to supply and demand. If demand is high, then the growth in house prices will continue.

In Melbourne the population is growing by 1000 people each week. This will increase the demand for the limited supply of residential property that there currently is.

Regards Jason.

Can credit continue to grow at 15% pa forever while wages grow at 4% pa?

I think you are correct about demand, but without increased capacity to pay higher prices, price growth may be constrained to some degree in some sectors over the medium to longer term.

price growth may be constrained to some degree in some sectors over the medium to longer term.

Yes, I think this is the key. It is necessary to be highly selective when deciding where to invest for future price growth.

It's interesting to note that people are approaching buying property in a different manner from say 10 years ago. Many parents are helping out by providing equity. People are investing with siblings and friends. Many new types of loans are available along with creative structures that are enabling people to purchase. With all this in mind I believe that there will be increased demand within certain segments of the market, which in itself will place additional pressure on house prices within these areas.

Regards Jason.

Yes, I think this is the key. It is necessary to be highly selective when deciding where to invest for future price growth.

It's interesting to note that people are approaching buying property in a different manner from say 10 years ago. Many parents are helping out by providing equity. People are investing with siblings and friends. Many new types of loans are available along with creative structures that are enabling people to purchase. With all this in mind I believe that there will be increased demand within certain segments of the market, which in itself will place additional pressure on house prices within these areas.

Regards Jason.

Just another way financial industry try to get a little bit more commision
and eat a bit of your pie.

First there is the share market, then comes short selling, then comes warrant, options and now CFDs and before you know it each one chip a little of your fee away and you end up with much less returns in your pocket and more in the hand that craft these arts.

I wrote this for my blog, but thought it was worthy of posting here...

---

Well, the big news of today is that the cash rate has risen 25 basis points. It now stands at 6.5%. I am too young to remember the late 1980s and early 1990s where interest rates reached 20% — but it happened, so I am hardly complaining at the current 6.5%.

Of late, it seems the trend has been to blame the Liberal Government for the interest rate rise. The Government is not completely unaccountable, as their previous election promise went along the lines of:

Interest rates will always be lower under a Coalition government than under a Labor government.

An election ploy, and hardly a provable statement. But it still doesn't mean the current Liberal Government is to blame for interest rates.

So, back to housing affordability...

The alleged housing affordability issue has been branded in the media as simply the "housing crisis". Strong words, but looking into the issue more, I have to wonder for whom housing is a "crisis" for. In the past decade, housing prices have increased a great deal. The boom of 1999-2003 made a lot of money for a lot of people. Surely that's a good thing? More equity for those owning a house or few.

Not for those who default on their loans. This article notes that the amount of mortgage insurance claims has risen from $49 million to $210 million in two years. At first glance, this may look bad, but one has to remember that house prices only boomed a few years ago and it would be just now when those whom over-extended themselves a few years ago are feeling the pinch, and hence making insurance claims. Thus, the average mortgage claim amount would be much larger, (as more needed to be borrowed to purchase a house in recent times). This largely accounts for the sharp rise the fiscal increase in claims. Recently, 2GB radio broadcaster Alan Jones noted that less than 0.70% of all mortgages in Australia are defaulted, which was said to be much the same as it has always been. And these are mainly people who over-extended themselves with debt, possibly under-stating their existing financial obligations when applying for a mortgage.

House prices have risen, but Alan Jones also noted that a real "housing crisis" would exist, if house prices, not went up, but rather went down. Indeed, a lot of people would be in real trouble if this happened.

So then, who are the ones feeling the pinch?

I think it comes down to the first home owner. I myself, am looking to purchase my first property, so the last property boom has made it harder to get into the market. But, how hard is it? Working for 1 or 2 years to save a deposit isn't exactly hard — just slow. But did previous generations have it any easier? After hearing stories of people who are double my age, with interest rates nearly 20%, and getting mortgages before industry deregulation, do current first home owners really have it that bad?

When putting it all into perspective, I would say things are pretty good. House prices in my home city of Adelaide still relatively cheap against other Australian capital cities, and are poised to rise in the next few years.

So, where is this "housing crisis", so often referred to in the mainstream media? I'm still looking. It must be election time...

kick them while they are down why dont you?
some people has it tough, others lucky, other work hard and others inherit.
just be thankful that you have the oppotunity to work hard and make money.

and it's not the interest rate that matter... it the percentage of your income go into servicing the mortgade...back when interest was at 18% ...people still spend less of their income in mortgade repayment than people today with 7-8%...

so dont listen to Howards lies about interest record low crab ..
do you want interest rate at 18% and 25% of your income go into servicing the mortgade or 8% interest and 37% of your income servicing it?.. I think I will pick 18% thankyou very much.

Hi Keneth,

Do you have some factual evidence to back up this claim? Housing growth is subject to supply and demand.
Sorry to jump in jingo, but yes and no. Not so much supply & demand of property, but also of credit. Once lending criteria drys up, so does demand for OO ppty (which is still teh largest driver of market price).

The 20/20 blueprint is advocating higher density property which will also effect median prices as units become a higher percentage proportion of the market.

Regardless of demand for housing alone, economic factors do have a part to play. Seem to have lost the file with Japanese housing price chart, however they had a massice housing slump on the back of an economic crisis that was largely independant of domestic supply & demand.

This is what I was after:

Whilst I am still expecting residential property prices to continue rising in many areas in the short term, we have a sub-prime meltdown in the US, beginnings of a credit squeeze, and central banks providing billions in short term liquidity to Euro & US banks so they can meet their transaction obligations. Not the ideal medium to longer term conditions, especially considering over decades property has always reverted back to the mean.

Back