HOW CAN we save on $30000 bill to replace rotten windows on multiple storey unit.

20 YEAR Old units with windows of various shapes that are rotting and were never built well in the first place. I've been told it would cost 30 000 to replace the windows. Any ideas of how to save money on this or how to preserve the older ones longer without it being dangerous as there is a second and third storey and we wouldnt want windows falling down.

There is a neighbour also who would have to change theirs so possibly could do a bit of a deal.

Thank you.

Thank you. We would definitely repair timber with aluminium, and having said that perhaps the quote was for timber which made it more expensive. I wonder how much cheaper the quote would have been if it was for aluminium.

There is no body corporate they are separate dwellings on separate titles.

Thank you. We would definitely repair timber with aluminium, and having said that perhaps the quote was for timber which made it more expensive. I wonder how much cheaper the quote would have been if it was for aluminium.

There is no body corporate they are separate dwellings on separate titles.

I would definitely go with a powder coated aluminium replacement - almost zero maintenance, which is a plus if you're 3 storeys up :)

If you google 'aluminium windows', some of the companies have the ability for you to get a rough quote on-line (you need to measure your windows). Perhaps some of the $30k quote was due to having to do the work 2-3 storeys up? That can become quite expensive, due to scaffolding etc. Choose the right style of replacement (in terms of window style) and perhaps the work can be done from inside? cheers Deb

Aluminium windows

Try Bradnams Windows & Doors, 136 Zillmere Rd Boondall QLD 4034
(07) 3131 3777 or GJames Glass & Aluminium, Kingsford Smith Drive, Eagle Farm, for quote on the windows (can't do it online). You may need to get someone to install though. I have used both and was happy with their products and price.

Last edited:
You're lucky a friend of mine has a unit in a block in the city that needed all the windows replaced and it cost more than that just to hire the scaffolding.

Back