How do I remove a Coonara?

Hi guys

I am soon to settle on a new property, which has a Coonara in the garage! It seems that the man of the house used the garage as his man-cave and had a Coonara and a projection TV in there.

I want to remove the Coonara before I tenant the property as I don't want the tenants lighting fires inside my house, and also it will leave more room for cars.

Can I just take away the Coonara, remove the inside chimney and patch the hole, or will I also need to remove the outside chimney and perform roof repairs (not so desireable). Has anyone ever installed or deinstalled one of these inside before?

Here's a photo. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Coonara1.jpg

JB

I was going to ask "What on earth is a Coonara?" until I saw the photo. I was imagining all sorts of things... but not a fireplace :D.

I would remove it and patch the ceiling. Leave everything above the ceiling in place.

Coonara???!??

Same as Wylie, never heard the word before. You learn something every day!

As long as you can get some tiles to match the roof I would remove the whole flue and then patch the ceiling, easy peasy.

If it has tin roof I would do as wylie suggested leave the externals in place and only patch the ceiling.

I clicked on the link to see what it was also :D

Thanks for the picture, I've seen them once or twice but had no idea on the name

Maybe try to get into the roof and cut off the metal pipe, maybe then brace that to the joists.

patch the hole with piece of gyprock, get some cornice cement or the like and patch the gyprock piece that you put in.Sand then paint.

Back