How do you invest?

Hi all,

Being this a RE forum, I thught Id make a thread about all kinds of investments you also have on the side.

Ill start.

1. PPOR house that I will be using as a springboard (equity) to buy my first IP in 2010. Then eventually buy more and more properties until I am 40 (11 years).

2. Vanguard Index Fund that tracks Australian Shares index, I invest around $100 every month and will continue to do so for the next 30-35 years until my retirement.

3. Internet based business used to sell eletronic goods and services. Low overhead costs and limitless opportunity to expand.

I also work Mon-Fri in a day job that I like.

Anyone else?

shares, property and sourcing passive income streams.

multiple income streams are where it's at - who needs life insurance?

Being this a RE forum, I thught Id make a thread about all kinds of investments you also have on the side.

*Caution* - some of these have been -ve investments :D

residential investment property
REIT (CPT)
Managed Funds (active, passive, hedge)
Captial protected Structured products
Gold
great day job
great second job
ETO's
Publicly traded shares
Private shares
Interest bearing accounts

Cheers,

The Y-man

*Caution* - some of these have been -ve investments :D

residential investment property
REIT (CPT)
Managed Funds (active, passive, hedge)
Captial protected Structured products
Gold
great day job
great second job
ETO's
Publicly traded shares
Private shares
Interest bearing accounts

Cheers,

The Y-man

Oh yes ING direct too, I have that also but I don even bother mentioning it cos thats basic everyday knowledge IMO.

- Artwork - this interests me although I don't really have anything yet. Wouldn't mind getting some pieces though. I know there's no return but I enjoy it and I have seen how if you invest in the right thing, there can be substantial gains.

i make 7.5% pa on mine....?

Oh yes ING direct too, I have that also but I don even bother mentioning it cos thats basic everyday knowledge IMO.

You would be amazed at how many people I mention ING to who have never heard of it.

And what staggers me is these are you standard "cash is king, put it in the Bank" types.

Any asset class that i understand (ie the risks and benefits) and which is trading(selling) significantly under its intrinsic value.

At the moment asset classes that i understand are:
1) australian shares
2) residential property (apartments in the inner suburbs of melb)
3) thai shares
4) some types of small businesses.
5) cash

My money cycles through whichever asset class has the biggest discount to intrinsic value.
Point (5) might shock some people, but there are periods of time when holding cash rely does have the highest discount to intrinsic value (ie all other asset classes are suffering from irrational exherburence )

Do you have any links to company/places where I could read up on this? Not really looking to do it, but interested nonetheless. How does it go capital gains wise? Would be hard to realise without selling I guess?

Art Equity.

you certainly can't leverage against an art portfolio - but then, it's a buy'n'hold'n'forget investment.

the only way to realise cap gains is to sell at auction.

Art Equity.

you certainly can't leverage against an art portfolio - but then, it's a buy'n'hold'n'forget investment.

Thanks for that, very interesting. I assumed these artworks that were rented out were Streeton type works worth $100K++. There's an artist on that website who I really quite like so might look into this a bit more. My spending money on artwork could be justified if I can get a return for it! :D

Art Equity.

How do you know what Cap Gains you've got as I believe they charge a premium to value the investment, otherwise you just get "insured value"?

investing vehicles

up and coming IP, good mix of positive cashflow and capital growth IP's
x10 properties in 11 years.
PPOR house,
9-5 trading time for $$
Share's, bonds,
Art, gold, rare coin's,
mutual funds,

Looking at a variety of investments and income streams - 5+.

Currently:
- Good job
- 4 IPs
- Direct shares
- Always have put extra into Super
- Cash
- About to do a small development

Future:
- Missus finally goes back to work! (after 9yrs stay at home with kids)
- Small online business

Over time, wean off the job, and ramp up others.....

:D

PPOR - will use equity to invest in commercial IP
Direct share purchases - ANZ, BOQ, WPL, ASX, BHP, WOW
Managed super fund - First state super
Term deposits
High interest savings accounts
Self employed working night and day - bulk (99%) of income and cash flow

Back