How do you keep purchasing properties?

I've paid off a 440K PPOR debt and added 10 new properties to my portfolio in just 2 years, using NRAS. I've reached a point where I have sufficient deductions to enjoy a tax free income, have zero non deductible debt left on my home, and my portfolio not only pays for itself, it makes me about 80K extra , tax free per year. All that extra cash flow , coupled with the equity at my disposal ( from paying off the PPOR) allows me to go much much further , much much faster, which I will quite likely do.

COMPOUNDING, MULTIPLIER EFFECTS = Powerful stuff.

Hi euro, would you mind explaining the concept of NRAS (what/how/etc.) and why you choose that route rather than just choosing to rent it out yourself?

Also if you also care to share how you manage to reduce your income tax to zero? Is it one of the advantages of NRAS?

Speaking of monopoly.. its my favourite board game! Love it to bits...

I remember I used to make so much money from my hotels that I would pay other players to move my piece around the board and pay them to get me drinks etc lol :D:D

Speaking of monopoly.. its my favourite board game! Love it to bits...

I remember I used to make so much money from my hotels that I would pay other players to move my piece around the board and pay them to get me drinks etc lol :D:D

SO do you play that in real life too????:confused:

Hi euro, would you mind explaining the concept of NRAS (what/how/etc.) and why you choose that route rather than just choosing to rent it out yourself?

Also if you also care to share how you manage to reduce your income tax to zero? Is it one of the advantages of NRAS?

Hi. I've written extensively on the concept on the forums, so you can read through those posts if you prefer, but I'll take you back through it here.

The concept is this; take dormant equity that is laying around doing nothing - neither costing you money, or making you money. Invest that equity as a 10% deposit + stamp duty + costs, into an NRAS property. Generate an after tax , CF+ outcome of 7-10K. Then reinvest that surplus money into aggressive debt reduction.

Let me give you an example using a 400K property that would normally rent for $400 per week.

1. Draw down 60-65K from equity. The 60-65K covers your 10% deposit ( 40K) your stamp duty( 12-15K depending on the state) your legals, building inspection and depreciation report (2K) and a cash flow buffer (10K )

2. Borrow the other 90% + LMI ( approx 365K) to complete the purchase.

3. You will have total debt of @ 430K, give or take. ( Might be a little more in one state vs another stae, depending on stamp duty and whatnot)

Assuming a 5% interest rate ( lock in 4.99% for 5 years ) your interest expenses will total around 21.5K per annum. Add 5-6K for other costs - property management, rates, water, strata and NRAS compliance fee. Again, varies from property to property- a house and land package for example where stamp duty is payable on land only, and no strata is payable, would have fewer annual costs- but lets assume this example is a unit with strata fees. Your total expenses for the year will equate to 26.5-27.5K, give or take.

The property receives $320 per week, instead of $400 per week under NRAS, so you have income of just over 16.5K. So in this example, you are running a pre tax loss of approx 10-11K. This is a deductible loss

In addition, you can also claim depreciation. Because NRAS properties must be brand new, the depreciation will be pretty chunky. Could be as much as 13-14K, but lets use a conservative figure of 10K for this exercise, so that I cant be accused of inflating the estimates :)

Bottom line - there's a 20K + deduction from this property.

I lodge a tax return. receive a refund + the NRAS credit, and ultimately end up @ 8-10K CF+ , depending on my Marginal Tax Rate.

So there are two parts to this. The negative gearing and then the NRAS tax credit.

First, the negative gearing ; as outlined above, broadly speaking , because of the reduced rental income received, an NRAS property will produce a pre tax cash loss of approx 10K , rather than the 5-6K cash loss a typical non NRAS property might produce. Of course, this depends on the property and it's normal market rent, as well as other holding costs, such as property management, council rates, insurances, strata fees ( if applicable) etc.... 10K is pretty common though, as the example above demonstrates.

Because you are also able to claim depreciation, and because the properties must be brand new for NRAS eligibility, that will typically equate to an additional 10K ( conservatively speaking)

So what this all means is that you'll typically generate a combined total of @ 20K of deductions per NRAS property. Sometimes it might work out to be a little more, but 20K is about the typical result.

For a person earning 100K taxable income, 4 x NRAS properties should therefore produce about 80K of deductions. It might be a little more, or a little less- again, this depends on the variables I outlined above. But using 20K per property as a pretty common example, 4 x NRAS properties would therefore produce sufficient deductions (@80K) to reduce a 100K taxable income to a 20K assessable income.

In this example ( and again I should stress, this is a generic example) because the tax free threshold in Australia is $18,200, reducing your assessable taxable income to 20K would result in tax being payable on just $1800. The $1800 would attract a Marginal tax rate of 19%, so you'd end up paying approx $342 tax on your 100K salary , using this example. So you'd effectively have all the tax , or very close to all the tax , you had paid on your 100K throughout the year, refunded to you.

The second part is the NRAS tax credit. This year the NRAS credit is worth $10,661 - but it increases annually, based on rental CPI indexing, so will be worth more next year, more the following year and so on...

The NRAS tax credit is paid in addition to whatever ATO refund you receive for negative gearing. Again, the amount received depends on a number of variables, such as interest rate, property management costs, rates, strata ( if applicable) etc etc, but here's how it looks for the majority of NRAS properties.

For the 1st property , where the investor earns 100K, his neg gearing refund ( based on a 20K deduction) is calculated at 37% Marginal tax rate, so after the NRAS credit is added on to that, the after tax result is usually around 8-9K CF+

For the 2nd and 3rd property, the neg gearing refund ( based on 40K combined deductions) is calculated at 32. 5%, so this results in around 7-8K CF+ per property.

For the 4th property, the neg gearing is refunded ( based on a 20K deduction) is calculated at 19% , so the result is around $4500 CF+

To review; each property produces approximately 20K of deductions, and property 1 also produces @ 8-9K CF+ , properties 2 and 3 each produce @ 7-8K CF+ and property 4 produces @ 4.5K CF+

So the 100K taxable income has become an almost tax free income, but you've also earned an additional 26.5 - 29.5K tax free.

Net result = @ 126.5-129.5K after tax income, with little or no tax to pay.

Then you take that money, create a multiplier/compound effect by redeploying it towards aggressive debt reduction, which in turn saves you bundles of interest, creates accelerated equity ( even when the market is producing no capital growth, as happens at times) and allows you to continue to grow your portfolio over time. The medium term benefit is also a significant boost to your borrowing capacity as you remove non deductible debt, which is a huge drag on borrowing capacity, and replace it with deductible debt and additional rental income , which is a boost to your borrowing capacity. Borrowing $1 million of investment debt from a bank requires less salary income than borrowing $1million for non investment debt.

The aim of the game is to use NRAS to create the lowest possible taxable income, the highest possible after tax income, and use the surplus money to reinvest for a compounding benefit. For most people, the best use of the money is aggressive non deductible debt reduction, because that alone makes you a small fortune in saved interest. For those without any non deductible debt, they may elect to use the additional cash flow to boost super contributions, or supplement non NRAS properties that they are holding, or invest in other assets.

However you look at it, you have taken 60-65K of dormant equity and turned it into 8-10k of tax free money. That's a 13-15% tax free return. Ask yourself whether you'd put your money into a bank account paying 13-15% tax free. Ask yourself whether you'd put your money into a term deposit paying 13-15% tax free.

Think of it like this. What could you do with 125K+ of annual tax free cash flow over 10 years? Could you turn it into a lot more money??? I think so.

As long as you can get your 60-65K back in 10 ,11, 12 years time, you've effectively paid ZERO for the property, but used the massive tax free income the properties have produced, to transform your financial situation.

So for a person earning 100K, with 240-260K of equity at their disposal, 4 x NRAS properties will do precisely what I have just outlined. For a person earning 80K who has 180K or equity at their disposal , 3 x NRAS properties maximise their particular situation. Or for a person earning 180K with @ 500K of equity at their disposal - same thing.

As I said in a previous post - in 2 years I have paid down a 440K non deductible mortgage, added 10 new NRAS properties to my portfolio and if I simply got my 10% deposit and stamp duty back out of each property at the end of 10 years, I'm still way ahead of where I would have been in 10 years if I had the 440K mortgage to deal with, because I have 2.5K per month that was previously directed towards that mortgage, in my pocket . I also have over 400K of equity I didnt have a year ago, because the debt is gone. That allows me to invest in multiple additional properties that I would never have been able to invest in, otherwise. Compound /multiplier effect at work.

NRAS is not the be all and end all - it's simply a tool. I will continue purchasing properties long after NRAS is finished, but it is such a potent accelerant that it will position to me to have 2 or 3 times the number of properties I would have otherwise owned, had I not used it this way. very very few investors get past 4 or 5 properties. It is amazing to me how few investors grasp how much it could transform their position , and quickly.

With Euro's help, I'm about to purchase 2 properties in Orange. Using about 40k per property from a line of credit type loan against my PPOR, each property will generate about 10k CF+ as a result of the deductions and NRAS incentives. Thus a 25% after tax return on my investment over the next 10 years.

And given that my properties will be rented out at 20% less than the market, I should have no problems getting tenants.

My plan is to have 6 NRAS properties by mid 2016, hopefully generating about 50k-60k of tax free cash flow.

But as Euro always says, the key is to get up front valuations to make sure the property is worth it. And BTW...Euro is a great guy to deal with and really knows his stuff.

If you're on an average (or lower) income, as per the original post in the thread, I can't see how nras can assist.

1) The negative cashflow will kill your servicability preventing further purchases. I understand they're positive cashflow after all the benefits, but only a couple of banks recognise this.
2) The tax benefits don't really go as far for a lower earner as they do a higher earner.

Average/Lower income earners are far better off seeking naturally postive cashflow stuff to aid their serviceability in order to keep buying. Sweat equity is also a 'cheaper' way to get deposits to continue buying.

If you're on an average (or lower) income, as per the original post in the thread, I can't see how nras can assist.

1) The negative cashflow will kill your servicability preventing further purchases. I understand they're positive cashflow after all the benefits, but only a couple of banks recognise this.
2) The tax benefits don't really go as far for a lower earner as they do a higher earner.

Average/Lower income earners are far better off seeking naturally postive cashflow stuff to aid their serviceability in order to keep buying. Sweat equity is also a 'cheaper' way to get deposits to continue buying.

Agreed, I think serviceability is the biggest factor when it comes to when to stop purchasing more property.

NRAS sounds very good for lowering your income however there is also a great risk of what happens when you lose your job? You will need a decent sized capital to maintain the massive negative cashflow (until FY tax returns) accumulated from NRAS properties until you find another job.

NRAS sounds very good for lowering your income however there is also a great risk of what happens when you lose your job? You will need a decent sized capital to maintain the massive negative cashflow (until FY tax returns) accumulated from NRAS properties until you find another job.

Re-read Euro's post, especially this bit:

1. Draw down 60-65K from equity. The 60-65K covers your 10% deposit ( 40K) your stamp duty( 12-15K depending on the state) your legals, building inspection and depreciation report (2K) and a cash flow buffer (10K )

NRAS is hardly the only game in town. To keep purchasing you need to be able to keep coming up with deposits (equity) and keep passing lender's servicing tests, which means continually improving your cash flow position.

Crack these two codes and you have mastered the world of investing. Just let us know the secret when you have found it...

That argument fails to cater for interest rate rises and a lack of , or slowing of growth in response to interest rate rises. Naturally CF+ properties today , based on the lowest rates in our history, may not be so CF+ with a 1 or 2% increase, if that were to occur . The laws of probability would suggest that's going to happen at some point , whether its 12, 24, 36 months down the track...

In addition, an average or lower income earner is unlikely to be well placed to build a large property portfolio under any circumstances, so using borrowing capacity constraints as an argument is pretty fragile, to be honest. Even moreso if the investor has a non deductible mortgage consuming a large portion of their income already.

Naturally positive cash flow is also taxable positive cash flow, and it doesn't begin to compete with tax free positive cash flow. Might also push you into a higher marginal tax rate.

A couple on 40K each for example, who bought 2 x naturally CF+ properties that each generated 4.5K ( if that is actually readily achievable- but lets assume it is for the purpose of this exercise) would pay 32.5% on the combined 9K of positive cash flow those two properties generated. They'd also pay tax on $21,800 of their income, at 19% MTR. So they'd earn about 89K from income and rent, but pay tax of approx $7067. Net income = just a touch under 82K. Not a bad result, but with a non deductible mortgage and only 2K of real income being generated above their combined salary, all the growth in the world isnt going to get them into more properties unless they can increase their income somehow.
Using 2 x NRAS as a comparison, they could generate 20K of deductions each, and a combined 9K of additional tax free come ( 4.5K for each property) This would move them from a household income of 80K taxable, to 89K tax free. That extra money (7K per annum more than the first scenario, increasing year on year with Rental CPI indexing) can then be directed towards paying down their PPOR debt faster.

At the very least, it's going to help them create borrowing capacity in the medium term by helping them get rid of their non deductible debt faster.
Over about 6 years, the reduction in PPOR debt created by paying an additional 7K per annum onto the loan ( say 42K over 6 years) counter balances the reduced rental income received under NRAS. Using a 250K property and $250 per week rent as an example, $50 per week NRAS reduction equates to $2600 of income you cant use for servicing- of which a bank only utilises 80%, so really it's $2080.

But 42K less non deductible debt will be treated as $2100 less liability per annum ( based on 5% ) so it about balances out from the 6 year mark.

You are certainly correct that it's more potent for higher income earners, there's no doubt about that, but what Im trying to illustrate is that it still offers superior cash flow no matter what your income is. And of course, it can survive interest rate increase far better than f"natural" positive cash flow can. NRAS stays CF+ to 10-11%

Agreed, I think serviceability is the biggest factor when it comes to when to stop purchasing more property.

No, that's incorrect. I insist on a 10K buffer in every transaction. I think you may have missed that point. It makes all the difference. It's there for a very simple reason - to make the model as self contained/ recession proof /unemployment proof as can reasonably be achieved.

If you lost a job and had a non NRAS property, you'd be in a whole lot more bother. NRAS provides you with $10,661 of tax free money whether you are generating an assessable taxable income or not. Negative Gearing relies exclusively and entirely on offsetting losses against taxable income. You could lose the negative gearing component of an NRAS property and still be CF+ in most cases.

Example. 400K property. 430K of debt, which covers 100% of everything - 10% deposit + 90% loan + LMI + legals + stamp duty + 10K cash buffer

Expenses. Interest Only loan of 430K @ 5% = 21.5K. Add 5K for expenses - Total cost to run the property = 26.5K.

Income $320 per week ( 20% discount from $400 market rent) = $16,640

Pre Tax Loss = @ 10K - which is already funded , using the 10K buffer which forms part of the 430K total debt. So let me stress, you are putting ZERO in , as the 10K buffer is covering the shortfall for you.

Lodge a tax return. 10K deduction for CF loss. 10K deduction for depreciation

On a 45% MTR, receive $9000 ATO refund + $10.661 NRAS. Total = 19,661. Take 10K, use it to replenish the cash buffer to pay for Year 2 's "pre tax loss " in advance, and you are @ 9.66K CF+
On a 37% MTR, receive $7400 ATO refund + $10.661 NRAS. Total = 18,061 Take 10K, use it to replenish the cash buffer to pay for Year 2 's "pre tax loss " in advance,, and you are @ 8,061 CF+
On 32.5% MTR, receive $6500 ATO refund + $10.661 NRAS. Total = 17,161
TTake 10K, use it to replenish the cash buffer to pay for Year 2 's "pre tax loss " in advance, and you are @ 7161 CF+

Now, assume you have $0 income for a whole financial year due to a job loss, and have to do without the ATO refund completely - you'll see that you are still CF+

This structure ensures that the pre - tax loss is covered at all times, under all scenario's. ( well, perhaps not "all", as it won't insulate you against 20% unemployment or GFC Part 2 or other calamities - but you get my point...it's an almost bullet proof structure with far less reliance on negative gearing to keep your head above water) The bottom line is this. The fact the NRAS is a 100% tax free RTO/NANE payment paid to you no matter what your income situation means that it doesn't rely on neg gearing to hold it together. The neg gearing certainly boosts it ( and nicely , to be fair) but the point is that the structure can withstand foregoing neg gearing in the very unlikely event of unemployment for a full financial year. Now that's something you cant say for a non NRAS, neg geared property.

safer, smarter numbers you can count on rather than hope for.

How does nras affect one's serviceability? Does it limit to a very few lenders?

Is it managed by some specialist PM? What % do they charge?

In a complex/block what % is nras typically? If high %, wouldn't you be competing with a lot of landlords once rebates are removed?

What is CG potential compared to a similar property in the area? Would the banks/valuers value it more conservatively?

There are multiple, multiple posts on here where all those questions are addressed thoroughly.

When you go looking for a reason not to do something, it's easy to find one. Read the posts, understand the advantages , the perceived ( but very often incorrect ) disadvantages and decide whether you find it attractive or not :)

How does nras affect one's serviceability? Does it limit to a very few lenders?

NRAS is accepted by most lenders, but it's primarily the 20% rent reduction which causes the main serviceability constraint.

Consider an IP at $450,000 with rent of $450 per week normally. This is discounted 20% to $360 per week. The lender will then assess this rent with their standard buffer also of 20%, which then brings it down effectively to $288, against a loan for a 450k purchase. (you can see where this starts getting difficult if you don't have a high income or a large surplus cash flow).

The tax incentives aren't usually counted, except for some minor lenders whose serviceability model isn't extremely generous to begin with.

I recently had to untangle a x-coll from a clients NRAS property and PPOR which they were selling, which involved getting valuations on each. The NRAS property was purchased 12 months earlier for 410k, the lender revalued it at 295k. This resulted in immense pain for the clients, who were stitched up by a one stop mob who organised the finance, accounting, NRAS sale etc.

Yep that's the ugly side of property investment companies who stitch people up using cross collateralisation to hide price gouging. That has been happening long before NRAS though, and will continue to happen long after NRAS. It's not an NRAS specific issue.

As I have said repeatedly, NRAS is potent because of the accelerant it facilitates, but you must buy at fair value which means you must get valuations done up front, and you must set aside a 10K buffer so that the structure is entirely funded without the need for personal contributions.

If you adhere to those simple principles, and then redirect the surplus funds generated annually towards non deductible debt reduction, you will get well , well, well ahead of the curve over the 10 years.

Yes borrowing capacity may be marginally affected in the short term, but as the PPOR debt is reduced the effect is reversed and you ultimately end up with an improved borrowing position after approximately 6 years. That plus the accelerated debt reduction equates to an outcome that positions an investor extremely well.

Last time we went for a loan, (or maybe it was the time before... I forget) the bank gentleman said that if I reduced my CC limit from abt $20k down to $10k or less, it would get us over the line. I'd only had a large limit because I'd been overseas so I said sure, go ahead (loan and CC with same bank).

We got the loan and they left my limit as it was. :confused: :rolleyes:

Back