How do you like this for a wall colour

I remember having a pair of hot pink billabong board shorts when I was a kid in the 80's :D And yes they were guys ones not mixed up from the girls rack!

Yep - me too! Nothing demonstrates manhood like the ability to wear pink! :)

Mine even had splashes of fluoro orange as well if memory serves...

I swear if I see one more house with hogsbristle or antique white USA or with Caesarstone Ice Snow benchtops I am going to go postal.

I too can't stand hog bristle or antique white ... but I do like neutral with a real bang of colour on a feature wall and/or accessories.

But I tone it down when putting a property up for sale - which seems to happen all to regular ... even my conveyancer calls me a gypsy.

I bet Lexicon is either a white or a variation on beige.

You are spot on Lexicon is white with the hint of blue. :eek: Suits perfectly for IP. It does not alienate tenants. We did the excellant deal when we bought the IP. According to agent no-one else wanted it because they could not see through the horrible colours. Every room was painted with 'wiggle' colours including living room and bathrooms.

I like your kitchen's pink and white cabets, but all honesty I hate lime green cabets, but I have to admit I am really boring person and I am not known with my interior designing skills :D Personally I like natural warm tones e.g. natural wood and all warm colours that matches with it, not nessessary only beige.

I swear if I see one more house with hogsbristle or antique white USA or with Caesarstone Ice Snow benchtops I am going to go postal.

When did imagination get lost and interior design become white on beige on cream with grey shagpile rugs and twigs in buckets. Its like living inside a toyota camry.

Hehe I'll try not to be offended given my loungeroom walls are 1/4 strength HogBristle and top section Russian toffee.... OMG and I drive a Camry :eek:

Scott, I admire your bravery. That's all I have to say my friend. :D

Depreciator, just wondering if you are going to consider Lego Red, Lego Yellow or Lego Blue?

This is kind of like a car crash, you don't want to look but you have to, and you hope there ends up a good outcome.

What is almost for certain, that in 10+ years time, we will see comments made about clean lines, minimalist designs, white or its 1000 variations as being one of the most boring and conservative era of interior design and colour choices? ;)

...As I sit in the study of my home with Antique White USA walls, ceilings and White on White gloss on architraves and skirting boards!

Last edited:
I was hoping orange would be the colour choice for that wall - partly because I've got the paint already. I'll sneak a bit of orange in there somewhere.

This is kind of like a car crash, you don't want to look but you have to, and you hope there ends up a good outcome.

It always turns out well in the end. The joinery round the walls is causing me some grief, though. The veneer of choice is $460 for a 2400 x 1200 sheet - and it's $650 for the double sided sheet I need for some doors. I'll be nervous cutting those sheets.

Looking for the Irish Pub theme? Haven't seen this color in many display homes in the last 15 years. They are usually a good indication of current style trends given that interior designers kit them out.

Some funny comments on here - love the one about the car crash!!

Depreciator, because this is your own home go for it. It certainly isn't my cup of tea either but I agree - uniqueness makes the world go round. Just remember that the more walls you paint that green colour, the more the colours will reflect off each other in that room (4 walls of colour bouncing off each other instead of just one wall). Also, green reflection on the face is not great...

If you're looking to have the property re-valued or are planning to sell before painting it again, I would be concerned about the reaction of the valuer (hope you have good insurance - ha ha!).

Seriously though - I just wanted to say there are thousands of other fabulous neutral colours other than Hog Bristle etc. Yep that colour drives me crazy!

Sounds like you're fixed on the green but for anyone else reading this post, here are a few of my favs.. Dulux White Duck, Dulux Grey Pebble Half/Quarter, Taubmans Luna Rock, Resene Eighth Napa, Resene Thorndon Cream.

Cheers,

Haven't seen this color in many display homes in the last 15 years. They are usually a good indication of current style trends given that interior designers kit them out.

Interior decorators kit out display homes. They call themselves designers, but they're not. They just pick colours and furniture and throw some cushions around the place. Understandably they don't do anything that will polarise people.

And I understand that people selling a home or looking for tenants will also seek to do what is most inoffensive.

But I don't get people who are unadventurous when they paint their own homes. Jane, these sound like variations on white and beige:

here are a few of my favs.. Dulux White Duck, Dulux Grey Pebble Half/Quarter, Taubmans Luna Rock, Resene Eighth Napa, Resene Thorndon Cream.

You don't drive a Camry, do you?

I too can't stand hog bristle or antique white ... but I do like neutral with a real bang of colour on a feature wall and/or accessories.

But I tone it down when putting a property up for sale - which seems to happen all to regular ... even my conveyancer calls me a gypsy.

Last two I painted were hogsbristle, the current one is grand piano, almost exactly the same, but it's the 'new' hogsbristle' apparently.

I don't care. I don't have to live with it.

But I don't get people who are unadventurous when they paint their own homes. Jane, these sound like variations on white and beige

Because they have good t.a.s.t.e!

Yes they're variations of white and beige which are what 95% of people like at the moment.

If you like green, orange and pink - go for it... It's your house. Do you have a wife? What does she think of all of this?

Ah, so going with a colour other than white or beige is synonymous with a lack of taste. I get it now.

Still, rather than be offended I take some pleasure in doing something that 95% don't do. I'm sure that room will look okay when it's finished - not all the walls will be that colour. I might post the finished pics and do a poll. I've never done one of them before. Maybe only 5% of people will like it.

Yep, I have a wife. I don't pick the colours, I just paint them.

Glad you're not offended!

Good that both you and your wife like the same colours. I see a lot of disagreements between couples/JV partners in my job when it comes to renovating (which I attempt to iron out with a neutral - forgive the pun - perspective on the project).

Love to see your photos of the finished result.

Good luck!

There would have been a disagreement if she had said, 'I've thought long and hard about the colour for that wall. We're going with beige.' I would have found it hard to muster up much enthusiasm to get the painting gear out.

Scott

I was pleased to see the green. My son painted the lounge in his house that colour, I painted his kitchen mid grey. My comment was...pick who is the artist and who is the accountant :)

He went on to paint his bathroom an apricot colour, the entrance had purple somewhere...must admit it looks OK, I actually don't see anything wrong with it. Its his house and he can do whatever he wants.

When Alan and I got married, we rented a house in Templestowe, behind a shop, Alan was adventurous with colour and painted the bathroom, deep green with pale orange walls...but this was the 60s!!!! we were trying out colours before we built our own house :) The Owner had a painting company and told us he would repaint when we left :)

Obviously son takes after his father !!!!!

The wall does go with the stove:D

Chris

Back