How do you sell an undesirable house?

I'm looking to sell my house in the next 12 months. Whilst the floorplan is very nice and people often comment that inside it has the "wow" factor, from the outside it's not much to look at. It actually looks way smaller from the outside than it really is.

Anyway, that's not why I'm writing. The problem is that it's a townhouse in a complex on a corner block, and one of the streets which my townhouse backs onto is a main road (it wasn't there when the place was built and wasn't meant to be positioned so close to my place or I never would have bought here).

To make matters worse, permission has been granted for a big supermarket and a number of smaller shops to be built across the road on the quieter street that we back onto.

I want to know what everyone thinks my strategy should be for selling:-
  • Should I build a pergola in order to gain more privacy from the backyard (the backyard backs onto the main road)?
  • Should I replace the carpets which are quite worn as they have been in the house for 8 years?
  • Should I do any other work to the house (it's otherwise in pretty good condition, other than needing a good clean which I definitely will do or will hire someone to do before we list it for selling)?

Thanks for your help. I probably won't reply to any posts tonight as I need to get some sleep, but I'll have a look tomorrow morning.

I would consider the pergola as people do like wow factor these days.

Carpet is always so personal, if they don't like your choice they will subtract the cost of new carpet or flooring off the price anyway.

If needed, a one coat brush up for dirty/damaged walls can be good value as it is a time thing rather than big dollars.

Shops can be an attraction to someone without a car so not as big a drama, although some won't like it so don't tell them :)

Selling Houses Australia / Extreme :) Its on Foxtel

Its a show half about getting horrible houses sold through renovation, and half about advertising for Laura Ashley and Valiant Hire.

Oooh, I'll have to contact them. Thanks for that. Wonder if they'd come to Canberra?

Back