How does one ascertain who is a good builder?

Say you have land you want to develop and are in the market for a good builder that can look after the design, building and approvals. How can you ascertain who is good?

The problem is building isn't really a high-volume service (relative to other things in everyday life) so I can't exactly google "builder_name reviews" or "builder_name disappointment" or "builder_name experience" etc

Likewise, even if I do actually come across a review or two for some specific builder, it probably doesn't mean jack because the client might only have built 1-3 times and not even sure what makes a builder good.

So basically I cannot rely on public reviews.

To those who have developed, assuming you don't have highly accomplished developer friends, what was your process in selecting your builder?

Referral from a REA who built her PPOR with the builder I chose.

I did visit a few based on first hand recommendations but in the end came down to price.

My family are developers and builders.....so I don't need to ask around:eek:

Ask around, with the family 'contract' developments, there is no advertising, just referrals.

My brothers development company is booming through personal developments of townhouses and now the enormous amount of Chinese referrals.

I'm sure a friend or family member has used a builder, check their experience with the builder. I wouldn't want to use the 'big' builde but thats just me.

Hey, just go for a ong walk around your area or arae where land is. You must pass sevral developments -stand outside, make a judgement, note it. Then go into the site speak to the owner or builder. Ask for previous job form builder and give them a call or visit. !00% realtime reference, you will also see there onsite practices, safety etc.

Hey, just go for a ong walk around your area or arae where land is. You must pass sevral developments -stand outside, make a judgement, note it. Then go into the site speak to the owner or builder. Ask for previous job form builder and give them a call or visit. !00% realtime reference, you will also see there onsite practices, safety etc.

this is a very good tip!

I don't know a great deal, but i would go with a licensed builder for one.
Licensing is MASSIVE. Im not sure about anywhere else, but in QLD the work of licensed builders are covered by insurance.

So not only is crappy/dodgy work covered by insurance, but the builder can lose their license if its proven to be negligent or dodgy?

Most QLD builders would prefer to amicably sort out problems than to have it go through QBA (In QLD, I think its called).

many builders have flash websites, 'portfolios' and references, but are actually NOT licensed.

get multiple quotes, ask a million questions about materials used, labour time, even how their staff are paid? is it per hour? or per job? how many apprentices will they use on the job etc?

hope this helps.

J

Builders in general specialize in different areas;

Affordable housing
Mid Tier
Multi Unit Developments
High End
Apartments
Commercial

And so on, it all depends on what you are looking to build.

Architects, Drafty's, Building Brokers can help point you in the right direction or even your relevant HIA or MBA,

Back