How does this labour quote sound for Hot Water System?

HI there

Buying an 80L HWS from eBay for $580. Getting it installed by a plumber and I think his labour quote was around $500 - sound like too much? Plus I need to pay for the electrician to extend the power from internal to external. He quoted $220.

Does this sound like too much? :confused: I tried to get additional quotes but they were ridiculous, charging call out fees of up to $185!!! :eek:

Anyhow, tell me what you reckon.....THanks :)

Sounds reasonable if he has to extend pipework externally and its not just a simple swap for like in situ. Copper pipe is stupidly expensive these days.

Same for electrician - callout fee of about $80, then 1.5 hours labour at around $80 an hour.

I was lucky enough to get one off ebay that was the same (brand) as the one that was there, but a slightly larger unit and 15 years newer.
I am pretty handy so did the install myself (turned off hot water, pulled fuse, turned off water) looked to google as well, plenty of information there plus downloaded the install manual for my unit.
Took photos of existing wiring to make sure new wiring matched up the same
The only thing that I needed help with was old copper into the HWS was 3/8th and the new fittings were 1/2 inch, but 10 minutes at a plumbing supply shop, a reducer and a small length of copper pipe plus a couple of nylon olives and it was done.
Took about an hour and a half to do including the trip to the plumbing supply shop and cost $11.45. :)
Works perfectly.

Yes, I know you are supposed to get a plumber and an electrician, but a like for like install is hardly rocket science.

What is the scope of work?

Could be ridiculous, could be cheap

Yes, good point! Swapping an internal 50L unit for an external 80L unit (different brands). The apartment is on level one and the HWS unit will be on ground floor but basically directly underneath where it is currently. When he came to look initially he said it was fairly simple - just straight through the wall and down. I figure it'll take a couple hours MAX so $300/hr seems pretty excessive!!

Yes, good point! Swapping an internal 50L unit for an external 80L unit (different brands). The apartment is on level one and the HWS unit will be on ground floor but basically directly underneath where it is currently. When he came to look initially he said it was fairly simple - just straight through the wall and down. I figure it'll take a couple hours MAX so $300/hr seems pretty excessive!!

Actually sounds like a competative quote quote, but not cheap.

Attend site, drain existing unit, remove existing unit,fit new unit, extend hot and cold water lines through wall from 1st floor to new unit, clip new waterpipes connect hot and cold lines, fit line from PRV and run to legal point of discharge, fill unit, test lines, patch wall, clean site. etc.

Fill out and lodge Cert.of Compliance.

Who is taking away the old unit?

Cheers

Pete

I recently replaced a hot water system for my IP in Sydney, and the plumber charged $600. It was changing to a different type of hot water system (although I can't remember the exact models). I can't remember how much the electrician charged in total, but I remember he was $75 per hour.

I think the best thing is to have a few quotes, that way you know what is competitive and what isn't. Try this website - businesses bid for your job, and you will be able to find a couple who will give a quote without charging a callout fee. (Some may quote online without seeing the job, but I'd recommend getting them to come out before giving a quote, otherwise there could be surprises later.)

http://www.serviceseeking.com.au/

Back