How fussy is too fussy for a PPOR?

Sorry for all the questions everyone!

I'm in the market for a PPOR and in my budget there seems to be something or other that is wrong with the houses. The first one that I put an offer in for had structural damage so i didn't go ahead with the purchase.

I looked at one yesterday that was a 70's ugly house with NO street appeal whatsoever. It's not subdivided and is on about 750 approx m2.
The things that put me off are the 70's windows, the tiny 1 inch thick skirting boards in dark timber, it has no cornices at all anywhere and and it will need the architraves replacing.
The layout is good and I like that it's not sub divided. I know i'm not going to find anything beautiful in my budget and I'm aware that these things are not big dramas and can be replaced or fixed.

So how fussy is too fussy? Would you let these things get in the way of a potential PPOR? Did you just get what you could afford despite it not being exactly what you wanted and then upgraded?

This is it btw.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-croydon+south-112534451

Last edited:

I'm in the market for a PPOR and in my budget there seems to be something or other that is wrong with the houses. The first one that I put an offer in for had structural damage so i didn't go ahead with the purchase.

I looked at one yesterday that was a 70's ugly house with NO street appeal whatsoever. It's not subdivided and is on about 750 approx m2.
The things that put me off are the 70's windows, the tiny 1 inch thick skirting boards in dark timber, it has no cornices at all anywhere and and it will need the architraves replacing.
The layout is good and the I like that it's not sub divided. I know i'm not going to find anything beautiful in my budget and I'm aware that these things are not big dramas and can be replaced or fixed.

So how fussy is too fussy? Would you let these things get in the way of a potential PPOR? Did you just get what you could afford despite it not being exactly what you wanted and then upgraded?

This is it btw.

Aww, poor house. I don't think it's so bad at all, or so ugly. I've seen far worse. I don't know anything about the area, but if it's a good location for you, then things like skirting boards and cornices are easy to change. Plus, sometimes those old 70s places actually have much better/more functional layouts and living spaces than prettier houses from other eras.

Thanks Luce.rocks,

The area is nice and still close to my kids school.
I know it's not the ugliest house in the world but not something i would pick if my budget was higher.

I guess living within my means and picking an ugly duckling in a decent area will put me on the right path to picking up an IP down the track.

Plus, sometimes those old 70s places actually have much better/more functional layouts and living spaces than prettier houses from other eras.

Ew. It looks terribly dated...but for your budget I wouldn't expect too much. Rendering the front would make it a lot better but it requires much more maintenance (Which is why they used those colour bricks in the first place).

Cosmetic really, nothing that a plasterer and painter for a couple of days couldnt get looking nice. The advantage is the "eww" factor like Aaaron will turn off lots of the market and you can pick up a good deal. The eww faactor got me $70k off listing price last year, fixed for 5k.

I expect most people in that budget would expect some ewww factor.

Also in my case it I think it's about getting the best ugly duckling in the group!

The only property I own is my PPOR. I searched for four years before I bought it. I had looked at over two hundred places with over twenty agents. I was happy with the purchase at the time, although since I bought it 2 years ago, it has dropped almost 10% in value. My budget when I started my search was about 300k but ended up buying my PPOR for 750k. These days, I wished that I had splashed out more as it is highly possible that this may be the only residential property that I ever own and I spend a lot of time in it.

So my point is, be very fussy with your PPOR and it may be worth stretching yourself financially for the sake of enjoyment.

China, If I could stretch myself beyond this budget i would.

I don't want to wait years to buy something as who knows what the prices will do by then.
This ugly 70's house might be unaffordable then!

China, If I could stretch myself beyond this budget i would.

I don't want to wait years to buy sonething as who knows what the prices will do by then.
This ugly 70's house might be unaffordable then!

Exactly.

Really unless there are any major repairs to be done, it's all cosmetic. You said you like the floor plan so your renovations shouldn't be too expensive.

I'd be really fussy with a PPOR if I planned on living in it and it not becoming an investment later done the track, so be as fussy as your budget allows you to be.

Very easy property to modernise. Try get a reasonable discount on price, then if your funds permit, reno as you can afford it.

It's a nice size block and decent yard. Good for kids no doubt.

The layout is good and I like that it's not sub divided. I know i'm not going to find anything beautiful in my budget and I'm aware that these things are not big dramas and can be replaced or fixed.

This is it btw.

Wow I thought it was going to be horrific but it's not. I've seen WAY worse. Those windows are dated but they are solid well built ones and in my opinion better than some cheaparse aluminium windows in some places.

The house actually looks very substantial to me and nothing that some cosmetic things down the track wouldn't fix - however the bathroom and kitchen look very serviceable for now. The garden looks great for kids.

If you want something prettier you could always go for smaller
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-croydon+south-112574043

If the position is good, the proximity to schools is good and it fits your budget, then skirtings, cornices and modernising can come later, as funds allow.

There is nothing wrong with the house as far as I can see.

Westminster, I noticed that one today but I really need 3 bedrooms as I mostly work from home and need a place to put my desk/computer.

Wylie, I would definately need to modernise it as funds allow and remove that hideous old aircon in the kitchen window!

There's a squeeky floor in the lounge but nothing that a building report won't pick up.

LS I love that house and have enquired about it but it's under contract:(

I'm sure it is being sold for over 390 as it's so tastefully done!
I like those type of brick houses as inside there is something about them that is aesthetically pleasing.....not sure what happened in the 70's and 80's that produced such horrendous homes.

LS I love that house and have enquired about it but it's under contract:(

I'm sure it is being sold for over 390 as it's so tastefully done!
I like those type of brick houses as inside there is something about them that is aesthetically pleasing.....not sure what happened in the 70's and 80's that produced such horrendous homes.

Bugger! I'm sure it went for more, but can't hurt but give it a shot, worst that can happen is your offer is rejected.

Gotta love the 70s style kitchens/bathrooms, love bright colours, but not so much for my cupboards!

That house is great inspiration for what can be done, I would love to see the before pics.

I'd love to see the after pics of one of these 70's eyesores!

Back