How fussy is too fussy for a PPOR?

Chloe,

This place looks fine! Great for a first home. Lots of living space. Gardens look fine to me.

Remember this is your first home. Grab it, pay it off and then upgrade if you want to in the future. Either that or buy IP's (of a similar standard to this home) and rent a beautiful home in a suburb with better amenities (ie Eastern Suburbs or close to the city) the future.

I don't know the area, but low to mid $400's doesn't seem unreasonable in Melbourne.

All the best with it.

Regards Jason.

This place looks fine! Great for a first home. Lots of living space. Gardens look fine to me.

Agree, I would prefer it of the 3 that have been linked to. Its a 60's build and will be better put together than the original 70/80's spec project home.

The trouble is people have difficulty reconciling their dream home with their first home budget... your forever home likely wont be the first one. It wont be a McMansion with a cinema room and alfresco dining and 3 car garage, it will be a 3br 60's place with old granny furniture and this can be a let down.

Take a good look and think "what could 5-10k do to make this place nicer", you will be surprised what a coat of paint, new blinds, some new light fittings and polished floorboards or new stylish carpet can do.

Jason, it's my first house as a single parent so it's just me doing any of the work that is required.
My partner will help too of course but anything major would need to wait until i knew what i was doing!
They were very clever in not showing the floorplan as there are so many big things that need attention. The backyard is horrible.
But yes, if bought at the right price.....

Dave when i saw it on the net i thought it was amazing!!
For my budget, agent says 380 and over. But it's really dumpy! Like i mentioned earlier I haven't had to tackle major renos as a single parent.
I suppose the cleaning, painting, floors would make a huge difference and i won't be doing the floors myself.

The sad thing is that this one might also go for a high price!:mad:

That weird concrete thing outside with the picket fence around it?? I honestly can't think what could be done with that!!

Dave when i saw it on the net i thought it was amazing!!
For my budget, agent says 380 and over. But it's really dumpy! Like i mentioned earlier I haven't had to tackle major renos as a single parent.
I suppose the cleaning, painting, floors would make a huge difference and i won't be doing the floors myself.

Well initially you could just get the place tidied up and then do other works over time. Opening a wall like Lizzie said is pretty straightforward, couple of days and couple of grand. Other layout issues you can do if/when you have the time and money.

That weird concrete thing outside with the picket fence around it?? I honestly can't think what could be done with that!!

Knock the pickets down, timber decking on top (you can buy DIY click together decking from Bunnings or frame it with merbau decking), new posts around with wire rope and handrails down to yard. I can see it coming up nice for a couple of grand.

I guess thats what makes my approach different... I see past the "eww" and the work required to what a place could be.

I think I have an idea of the layout (kitchen at front right, dining at front, lounge at back behind dining, then the bedroom with teh door to outside at back next to lounge, bathroom, 2 more bedrooms at rear and side next to kitchen. If it was me and I was going to do a layout change, I woud make the kitchen and meals area into a bedroom, knock through the wall between rear door bedroom to the loungeroom, put kitchen in there, giving open plan kitchen and lounge with dining at front. As the house will be on piers/blocks to have floorboards, plumbing etc is relatively easy to move. This would cure your layout issue and give yard access to the deck I mentioned above from the living area.

It screams build a lovely deck.

Personally I haven't minded any of the houses you have put links up for.

You are looking at them at face value, rather than what they could be.

Perhaps its not possible to find the perfect home in the perfect location for your budget and you may need to think outside the square and in particular what you can bring to the house.

Also dont necessarily think of it as the 'forever' house - it can be the stepping stone house (flaws and all).

I get the impression you have previously had an expensive beautiful house which you've had to let go of due to a relationship breakdown. You now have to settle for an average house in a much lower price bracket and no matter what house you pick in that price range it isnt going to be perfect.

I dont mean that as a criticism, just an observation.

Btw, thanks so much everyone for sharing all your knowledge, advice and insight.

It's been great reading all your replies, you even managed to convince me that the 70's hideous house had a lot going for it!
I still believe it does and wish it was mine!:)

I get the impression you have previously had an expensive beautiful house which you've had to let go of due to a relationship breakdown. You now have to settle for an average house in a much lower price bracket and no matter what house you pick in that price range it isnt going to be perfect.

I dont mean that as a criticism, just an observation.

Nemo, not offence taken at all but you couldn't be further from the truth!!
My marital home was so beautiful that it was asbestos clad...ALL OVER!
Bathroom was partially renovated with no sink at all for about 2 years, just a pipe sticking out from the floor. The garden was wild and we couldn't agreed on what to do with the house, ie extend or leave.

It was in quite a nice area but the house was not.

I put an offer in for the ugly 70's house but it was rejected.

Just hoping it sits there throughout the xmas period so that it will later be mine....when he realises that no on is going to pay more than it's worth!
I'm hoping anyway

Back