How high will interest rates go?

How high will interest rates go over the next few years?

• 8-9%

Votes: 21 12.7%
  • 9-10%

Votes: 65 39.2%
  • 10-11%

Votes: 35 21.1%
  • 11-12%

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • 12-13%

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • 13-14%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 14-15%

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 15-16%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16-17%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 17% +

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interest rates for reserve bank or interest rates for other instatutions?

i can see another 1% on the reserve bank up to 8% but you will be looking at low 10% mark for loans

I am not sure but I fixed some more of my loans today for 3 years at 8.59% , a bit like taking out an insurance policy.

How high will interest rates go?
Just look at it in simple terms,how long is the Rudd government in for take off one year for election mode,so for the next 2 years it's all up, so i think the Sky's the Limit..willair..

Last edited:
The Lab govt has lots of money in the coffers to spend...AKA surplice from prev magement! So they will put heaps of money into the community, and inflation will go up and the RBA will increase interest rates, in an attempt to control the Labour spend-up.

Well, that's what I think might happen.

I have a friend that who working at Westpac said that the reserve bank will continue to lift the interest rates in the coming 2 years to 12-13% then drop.

However, as an investor, if interest rates increase, you don't pay for the total increase.

I think unless he is working in the Banks economic department he will have no in house knowledge whatsoever.

Bankers are widely known for getting most things **** about face.

I have a friend that who working at Westpac said that the reserve bank will continue to lift the interest rates in the coming 2 years to 12-13% then drop.

However, as an investor, if interest rates increase, you don't pay for the total increase.

Seems to be in line with what my wife is saying too. She works in a bank selling mortgages. The particular bank she is working in has prepared their models in anticipation of 11-12%.

No offence to your friend....but if 5 year fixed rates are at 8.8%....and basic variable expected to be at 8.53%. It would indicate to me that we are nearing the top of the cycle for interest rates.

Remember...the whole game will change in the next 3-4 months when rates rises over the last 4 months bite hard!

I must admit I am not really affected as I have most of my rates fixed under 7.1%. However, I am raising rents and managing cashflow when these fixed rates come off from mid 2009. :D

Hopefully this will be synch with rates coming down! ;)

No offence to your friend....but if 5 year fixed rates are at 8.8%....and basic variable expected to be at 8.53%. It would indicate to me that we are nearing the top of the cycle for interest rates.

Remember...the whole game will change in the next 3-4 months when rates rises over the last 4 months bite hard!

I fixed at 7.78% was that good?:) 6 months ago

If the market was offering 7.78 for 5 yr rates 6 months ago and 8.8 for fixed rates now, either they were very wrong 6 months ago or are very wrong now. Using market consensus as the basis for investment decisions doesn't seem particularly smart IMHO. :cool:

I must admit I am not really affected as I have most of my rates fixed under 7.1%. However, I am raising rents and managing cashflow when these fixed rates come off from mid 2009.

So when you fixed your rates at 7.1%, you thought it was nearing the top of the cycle?
Alex

If the market was offering 7.78 for 5 yr rates 6 months ago and 8.8 for fixed rates now, either they were very wrong 6 months ago or are very wrong now. Using market consensus as the basis for investment decisions doesn't seem particularly smart IMHO. :cool:

Agree...even the RBA got it wrong in terms of inflation last year....that is why I rely on what has happened in past cycles. Saw what happened in 1989-1991, 1995-1996, then again in 1999-2001. Best teacher was 1989-1991....the recession we needed to have.

People are happily consuming at the moment......kind of like alcohol.....but at some point they are going to wake up with a hangover. I think this hangover is going to come to fruition over the next 4 months. :D

I think unless he is working in the Banks economic department he will have no in house knowledge whatsoever.

Bankers are widely known for getting most things **** about face.

Even Economics teams have NFI. The in jokes is that they often just throw a dart on the board before coming out with estimates when fronting the media. The 11/12% is normal stress testing on serviceability calcs. Variable rate around 9% + 2%ish and theres their full doc buffer. Doesn't necessarily mean actual rates will get there. The 3 years bond futures actually rallied 16bps, as high as 25bps shortly after the statement was released. To me thats leaning more on the dovish side.

Sorry admin....I accidentalyl did something to my previous account zizou and now i cant open it...

Anyway....yeahh you made a wise decision to go with fix rates back then....congratulation!!
I'm sure now you are on positive gearing???

As I have posted many times before, I believe the political appetite for double-digit home loan rates is non-existant.

Anything more than another 100 bps and standard variable rates will cross that threshold (unless the banks take a hit on their margins).

Publicly, Rudd's threatened to unleash the ACCC on the banks, privately I suspect he's calling the RBA Governor on this topic (or, if he wants to be less political, he's doing it through the Secretary to the Treasury) to get the message across that this mountain had better have a summit sometime soon.

M

Is there a well respected economy expert who does make interest rate predictions?

(i.e. I acknowledge I don't understand the overall economy/factors at all - but assuming someone does who could we look to for the most educated prediction)

Back