How I got from just a PPOR to multi millionaire retiree in 5 years using only OPM.

Interesting concept. I wouldn't have thought that this would be worthwhile with the extra bank fees etc. I guess it's not a problem huh;)
Hi handyandy,

I pay $300pa for the commbank wealth package which gives me a discounted IR, no $600 loan application fees & no monthly fees. The only bank fees I pay are for my trustee cpy ($5pm) - personal & trust a/cs are fee free.

Cheers Keith

well done keith
I've just reached the $1m equity mark, so looking forward to the next few years
of property & share investing

I had $250K of equity in my PPOR in 2001. Drew it down & bought $1M or so of slightly c/f -ve IP in Bris & Blue Mtns. I borrowed 105%.

Nothing was particularly cheap, or a great bargain. It doubled in value, so there was the 1st $1M of equity. PPOR value increased too. .

I'm still interested in how you managed to use $250k of equity to pick up $1M of property Keith (at 105% as well)..That would be a great story as well
:confused:

Great post; its made it into the top rated group for the General Section

I'm still interested in how you managed to use $250k of equity to pick up $1M of property Keith (at 105% as well)..That would be a great story as well
Hi redwing,

I drew down $250K Equity from PPOR (which was partially paid off). Bought in Bris in 2001 within 5km of CBD. Eg $130K purchase price, $5K reno (paint & new kitchen & fans), $195pw rent with $10pw increase every year. That particular one is in Fairfield - same tenant is now paying $260pw & valued @ $360K. Another in West End paid $395K, cf +ve, now val @$850K. Bris prices doubled up to 2003/4, but rents stayed almost flat. IP was no longer cheap/good value. Rents have only started to catching up recently & still have a way to go before it gets to be good value again. I seem to remember interest rates were still going down - I refinanced @ 5.95% (5yrs fixed) in 2003. I also remember thinking that it was crazy for the banks to add 2% onto current rates when assessing servicability - I now see why.

Many others here at SS bought up a lot bigger (& better) than me. However, it was my first experience of the property cycle, so I was reasonably cautious. Geoff Doidge seemed to do OK, (only) a couple of mates were doing it & the biggie - the numbers added up. I had a 2yo & 9 month old when I bought the first, so I had to make sure it DID add up.

Great post; its made it into the top rated group for the General Section
I've never thought to look for 5-star threads before - I've bookmarked a few...... cheers keith

Thanks for your story.

It's an excellent strategy and something that I want to replicate. Have been thinking about it recently.

Can I just ask what do you use to buy the shares? do you have a financial planner? commsec? investsmart?

would it be silly to buy bank shares now at the peak? seems like all teh quality companies are at their peak.

also, what would you do with $100k? most of my equity is tied up as security for IP's....I only have around $100k to invest in the share market and will probably margin lend 80%. Should I reinvest in IP to generate more equity so I can enter the share market with at least $400k (inc margin lend)?
should i margin lend 100%? I do have a buffer in place and plan to pay the first year's interest in advance.

Hmmm, now after reading your post, I can't decide to invest in blue chip or managed funds. I am ok with small % of small growth companies in my portfolio for a bit more risk and possibly greater gains. Maybe invets in blue chips stocks, property trusts and a a managed fund like CFS emerging companies.

Thanks for your story.

It's an excellent strategy and something that I want to replicate. Have been thinking about it recently.

Can I just ask what do you use to buy the shares? do you have a financial planner? commsec? investsmart?

would it be silly to buy bank shares now at the peak? seems like all teh quality companies are at their peak.

Have you looked at long term charts of bank shares?

Do they actually peak and trough as much as you imagine?

I suspect they pretty well climb with periods of low growth rather than major falls.

Hi Simon,

You're right. I haven't actually looked at the charts...just the current share prices. I feel bad being ignorant but I can't help it as I really have no interest in the stock market. Well, not like the passion I do with properties.

What do I do? maybe the passion surface when I get my dividend payments :p

Lpt??

Sorry guys and gals you seem to use so many abbrievations here.

Bit like the Fast Forward sketch years ago.

Does LPT = Listed Property Trusts???

Apart from that guys and gals great read.

I think the key to wealth creation is by diversaction(spelling)??

Don't lump all shares in together. Many people do that and compare the market as a whole to the 1c shares that Uncle Charlie lost money on years ago....

Don't see yourself as ignorant. We all have a lot to learn. Some of us here may seem like experts to you but I see myself as but a babe in the woods compared to others. Is all relative.

If you want to learn about shares just go ahead and buy a few or join a sharemarket game. When you are committed you will find yourself thirsting to learn more.

Brenda joined a share game recently and now she is an unstoppable share researcher. Maybe you should have a chat with her?

All the best,

Have you looked at long term charts of bank shares?

Do they actually peak and trough as much as you imagine?

I suspect they pretty well climb with periods of low growth rather than major falls.

From memory. The only time they dip is when a bad loan book comes to the surface.

NAB was the most recent back in 2001, just before 9/11 when their overseas investments were found to be suspect.

They crashed before the 9/11 crash which crashed them even further.

The only reason I remember this is because I was trading a 'put' so made lots of money:D

The same thing happened in late 80's early 90's with Westpac, at which time the Packers became involved for a short time. I think with Westpac it was as a lonterm result of the overseas loans they had arranged and everybody sued them for. (they arranged Swiss frank loans then the Aussie $ floated).

In one way or another its negative news that brings them unstuck but time seems to heal them (and its certainly time to buy when that negative news hits ala Buffet)

Cheers

Hmmm, now after reading your post, I can't decide to invest in blue chip or managed funds.

People often think there aren't alternatives to unlisted managed funds, with their entry fees, exit fees, and relatively high MER's. There is, they're known as listed investment companies (LIC's) and exchange traded funds (ETF's).

I think you'll find they're very cost competitive. Look at an ETF like Streettracks or a LIC like AIF.

You'll get the diversity of a managed fund with fees that run on an oily rag.

The rough figures -
Draw down $1M equity from IPs – interest (5.95% fixed for 5 yrs!!) = $60K
Borrow $400K margin loan & buy shares – interest $0 – it's all capitalised (this is the LOE bit)
Dividends on $1.4M shares @7.5% - $105K
Nett income- $45K
NB The ATO considers that I pay the interest on the margin loan & borrow it again. So my taxable income is actually -ve.

Keith,

I don't understand your comment about your taxable income being negative.

I understand that the margin loan interest is claimed as an expense (even though it is capitalised). From your other posts I think you said your margin loan interest is between 7 and 8%. Even at 8% that's an interest cost of $32K, so it looks like you'd still have income > expenses. Where do your other claimable expenses come from?

John.

Keith,

I don't understand your comment about your taxable income being negative.

I understand that the margin loan interest is claimed as an expense (even though it is capitalised). From your other posts I think you said your margin loan interest is between 7 and 8%. Even at 8% that's an interest cost of $32K, so it looks like you'd still have income > expenses. Where do your other claimable expenses come from?

John.

Probably because in his dividend income he is including franking credits which are not taxable income but a tax rebate. His dividend income would be down to around 5 and a bit % excluding franking. (which is pretty high compared to most companies

Probably because in his dividend income he is including franking credits which are not taxable income but a tax rebate. His dividend income would be down to around 5 and a bit % excluding franking. (which is pretty high compared to most companies

Ahh, thanks for that. Makes sense now.

Hi Sue,

I use commsec (it's free to join) to buy & occasionally sell - they have good (free) research. I never invest in managed funds. I do invest in quality LICs (eg ASX codes are AFI,ARG,MLT). I never use a fin planner or a broker for advice. I'd much rather do it myself. Most of the things I don't use charge 1-2% of capital annually. So if the average annual return is 10%, they are taking up to 20% of it.

As you say most quality cpys are currently at their peak. This happens much of the time - and especially during bull markets - like now. When I look at the 5yr charts of my portfolio - almost all of the prices start at the bottom left & finish at the top right. They've been at or v. close to their peak for the last 5 yrs - that's why they are quality cpys.

Would it be silly to buy banks shares now ? They are all yielding 6.5-7% (after grossing up for franking) ATM. If you are using a resi loan, then they would v. nearly pay for themselves. They are forecast to yield about 10% more (ie 7.1-7.7%) next year, and a similar increase the year after. If the next housing boom happens then I'd expect banks would be a good asset to hold.

A v. important difference between shares & IP. Rents generally rise at around CPI. Quality share earnings & yields grow a lot faster.

also, what would you do with $100k? most of my equity is tied up as security for IP's....I only have around $100k to invest in the share market and will probably margin lend 80%. Should I reinvest in IP to generate more equity so I can enter the share market with at least $400k (inc margin lend)?

I'd suggest any IP investor with $$ to invest in shares -
  • do some research.
  • get a free commsec account - they have good free research. I'm sure there are others eg etrade, sanford, the other banks.
  • get a free trial subscription to some of the research cpys newsletters eg huntleys, rivkin,intelligent investor,fat profits. See if any appeal to your style of investing.
  • don't set up a margin loan facility for at least a couple of years.
  • don't invest outside the ASX200 for the first year (if ever)
  • don't trade. It's v. tempting to buy/sell because you can at 30 seconds notice. Get the same mindset as IP investing, buy quality shares & forget about them. It gives a high SANF.

should i margin lend 100%? I do have a buffer in place and plan to pay the first year's interest in advance.
My margin loan is currently 34%. It's never been above 40% and it is v. unlikely to. I believe that 40% is about the average over all margin borrowers. Work out how much a quality portfolio needs to fall in value by to generate a margin call. Then see how often the ASX falls by that amount. It has 10%+ falls a couple of times a year. It falls by up to 50% every 20ish yrs. How lucky do you feel?

When I read that people have 70% LVR margin loans, I think they are either sophisticated traders with sophisticated protection in place, or they are gamblers who probably don't understand much about the risks they are taking. Many of them will learn the hard way.
Hmmm, now after reading your post, I can't decide to invest in blue chip or managed funds. I am ok with small % of small growth companies in my portfolio for a bit more risk and possibly greater gains. Maybe invets in blue chips stocks, property trusts and a a managed fund like CFS emerging companies.
I would not buy managed funds They have MER of 2%ish. They ALL claim to beat the market over a specific period - they are all probably telling the truth, but probably not the whole truth. LICs are a better alternative - their MER is <0.2% - no entry fees, v. low MERs, v. liquid.

LICs (such as ARG & AFI & MLT) are a good first step into shares for many people. See this post.

And all the above my opinion, and definitely not advice.

Cheers Keith

Would the exercise be worthwhile if i only margin lend 40%? my capital is low.

i am not quite sure how to do the sums....does anyone have a spreadsheet or can I help me out so I can use it as a template for future reference?

Capital $80k Margin lend $32k 40%, Anticipated yield??, anticipated growth??, interest on loan I think around 8%? what would i be looking to achieve?

I have mummy brain atm! will be opening a commsec a/c asap...thanks!

Would the exercise be worthwhile if i only margin lend 40%? my capital is low.

i am not quite sure how to do the sums....does anyone have a spreadsheet or can I help me out so I can use it as a template for future reference?

Capital $80k Margin lend $32k 40%, Anticipated yield??, anticipated growth??, interest on loan I think around 8%? what would i be looking to achieve?

I have mummy brain atm! will be opening a commsec a/c asap...thanks!

Hi Sue

You calculate the margin loan backwards. Its not 40% of your capital but 40% of the final investment.

Namely if you wanted to have a 40% margin then the calculation is

80k * 100/60 = 133k where 40% of 133 is 53K

Thus 80k capital and 53k margin. Which is an investment with a 40% margin.

Generally it is regarded that exceeding 50% margin is getting very risky as per Keith's description, with Keith having an even lower threshold (nothing wrong with being conservative;))

My margin loan is currently 34%. It's never been above 40% and it is v. unlikely to. I believe that 40% is about the average over all margin borrowers. Work out how much a quality portfolio needs to fall in value by to generate a margin call. Then see how often the ASX falls by that amount. It has 10%+ falls a couple of times a year. It falls by up to 50% every 20ish yrs. How lucky do you feel?

As far as returns Keith has already outlined expected returns and expenses. You must be aware that these returns are two fold namely capital growth and dividends. With the main aim for Keith being capital growth.

Think of it like property. Your rental property's rent does not cover the mortgage but you expect the capital growth to exceed the difference between the rent and the interest payments + expenses. This is exactly what Keith is achieving with shares.

Cheers

Back