How important is the location of the PM's office?

Hi all,

Given that most renters are looking on the internet for rental listings now, how important is the location of the PM's office? i.e. when people are going on realestate.com.au, how would the PM's "local knowledge" help me?

I'm currently looking for a good PM and I'm wondering how much importance should I give on the 'location factor'.

What is the #1 thing you look for in a PM?

Well the closer the PM is to the property the easier it is for them to take potential tenants through the house.

If they were 30 - 50klm + away the agent wouldnt be keen on driving that far & would pay more attention to properties in the local vicinity, in my opinion.

My preference is how many properties does tha PM close to mine?

That way they can do more frequent drive bys and in the case of one of my properties, have a look over the fence as he manages one on either side.

I'd say very important.

My last agent was 15-20mins drive from my IP. My property was always last on the showing list - ie showings at 3:00pm. The rest of their IP's were within 5mins drive from each other.

They did however show it at 12:00 for the first viewing then stopped bothering after that.

My current agent is 10-15mins and most of their properties are in same area.

I found this to be massive difference.

Old Agent = Couldnt lease the house for 4+ weeks.
Current Agent = 1 week leased.

Our new PM is literally a two minute walk from the property - you can see it from the front door of the office. They can and have popped over with a prospective tennant - very helpful.

My preference is how many properties does tha PM close to mine?

That way they can do more frequent drive bys and in the case of one of my properties, have a look over the fence as he manages one on either side.

They COLD ...

But WOULD they ?

With the number of properties on their plate ? Perhaps they would with the ones they know are down the road etc

Hi all,

Given that most renters are looking on the internet for rental listings now, how important is the location of the PM's office? i.e. when people are going on realestate.com.au, how would the PM's "local knowledge" help me?

I'm currently looking for a good PM and I'm wondering how much importance should I give on the 'location factor'.

This is a very good question, Mich.

I am having a struggle with this situation at the moment. We have an outstanding pm who manages a number of our IP's which fall into her office's catchment area. We have one IP that she manages in an area outside her catchment, and are having trouble re-leasing it.

As much as I don't want to make the change, it seems we will have to appoint a local agent. The IP in question has been vacant for 6 weeks now! There is nothing wrong with the IP (although we are having it refurbished while it is vacant). Location wise we have been told by a number of local agencies that it is in a very good position and should rent easily.

Speaking with older and more experienced investors, (from this site) they recommend appointing local agents.

Even though many people use the net now days, the perception from tenants may be that a local agent is more accessible. A tenant can drive down the street, see the office and go in and see somebody personally if they have to. In this way, an outer area agent may seem less accessible to a prospective tenant.

Furthermore, a local agency is probably more able to show people through at short notice - or show them a few properties at once.

Regards Jason.

I frequently see people looking in windows at listings, and have seen people drop in to get rental listings- though the Canberra area has a very low rental vacancy rate, so may not be indicative.

They COLD ...

But WOULD they ?

With the number of properties on their plate ? Perhaps they would with the ones they know are down the road etc

Mine does as he supplied photograhic evidence which is allowed in the tenancy agreement.

Further, when looking at mine he actually walked into the back and checked into the yards of the two other and noted some items so have actually seen him do it.

The PM's location ideally should be close to your property- that is no more than 15 to 20 mins....

However, I agree with the majority in saying that you need a great pm first!

Most agents will have other offices in most suburbs of which agents not in the local foremost vicinity can utilise by also being advertised on their rental list for person to person inquiries.
Our pm once informed us that approx 90% of inquiry is primarily generated via internet advertising alone.
Our pm was initially based in Richmond and later moved to a new company in Brunswick. We transferred our ip's over immediately...All our ip's are inner city/fringe (Richmond, Prahran, Thornbury and Collingwood) so really It's only 10 mins further out and we trust this highly skilled woman with all 4 of our ip's.

Our property in Prahran is approx 25 mins from our pm and recently came up for release- only one open for inspection was held (on a week night) and amazing tenants were secured (just did the 3 month inspection- absolutely perfect)- all from internet only/rental office advertising...
I think everything has always just been done properly and correct from the start- we have been very fortunate (and also relieved) when discovering our pm.
Correct and thorough advertising, clear instructions on tenants required, a highly skilled and knowledgeable (and so friendly!) pm....with a good solid relationship between us.... only three days between new and old rent period! No issues, concerns or vacancy affected us at all.....

Hi all,

The location factor, is really important. Not only do you want your agent to zip by to open your property on a short notice but;

1. respond to questions from prospective tenants about the area. You want a PM to answer basic question like, what's the nearest public transport? where is the local supermarket etc
2. Know the area rental value? An out of area PM may not be updated with the current rental rates in the given area, so may not be able to advise you properly when to raise the rents.
3. Another important thing that I do is get testimonials from landlords. Ask your PM to provide at least 2 testimonials from local landlords. As a landlord I would always be happy to provide a testimonial for my PM's, because they always do an awesome job for me.

I hope this helps you in finding a good PM

If the PM cannot provide any, then they are either too inexperienced, or highly likely provide not the best service.

Last edited:
i think it is important for many of the reasons listed above.

When i worked in real estate we often had out of area agents trying to lease properties in our area and they would post us the keys to do the showings so they didn't have to drive over all the time then pay us the letting fee. If they couldn't come over for showings i guess there isn't many periodically inspections going on either. We actually ended up picking up a few as managements as the owners worked out it was easier to call us to check how things were going and then they realise there is no point in having the out of area agent because we were so good :D

One of our PMs has their parents living in the same street as our property that they manage. They do a drive-by once a week when they go to dinner at their parent's! :D

"We noticed on a recent drive past your property..."

This is the first line of the first paragraph we send to numerous tenants in relation to their gardens.

There is enough stigma attached to rental properties and the saying "you can tell which properties are rented". We expect the properties we manage to be taken care of. The outside is also a good indication of what is going on inside. I have sent out 4 letters in the last 2 weeks asking tenants to mow their lawns and attend to the gardens. We are always keeping an eye on the properties.

Today I got a phone call from a tenant who had no hot water - not even cold water coming through. This sounded a bit odd. Went around there. Flushed the tpr and hardly any water came out. Even more suss! Took a look at the tap and water had been turned off to the hws. Turned it on and presto - water flowing into the hws.

This is one of only many examples. Would an out of town PM make the trip to take a look or send a plumber @ $75 call out fee?

Location has nothing to do with the application nor the quality of execution of the property management processes that a PM or an office undertakes in the managing of one property or with multiple properties. So I believe you could look after a wider range of areas that a PM office does as long as you could apply the same processes and bring the same knowledge and insight. PM offices are generally people who have a limited focus in the areas that they deal with because that is the way the REA franchise system is established. Our thinking is bound by the old REA retail network. Now I am not advocating a PM in Double Bay look after a Parramatta property, nor a Frankston PM look after a Point Cook property. But you can't tell (well you can, but I'd disagree ;))me a PM with the processes, knowledge and systems, cannot look after a Port Melbourne property but also an East Malvern property or even a Brighton property.

There isn't a surprise event in property management. X happens, then the PM does a, b and c. We hear stories all the time on SS on what the issues are. Yes there are surprises and delights in customer service, but as a landlord I want the basics to be delivered flawlessly and you can leave the s & d.

I would also challenge whether the agent would be advising the tenant about public transport, supermarket locations etc. I can almost guarantee the tenant would not need and have more than enough information than the PM. As a landlord or a prospective tenant I would not value that at all. I would value that the person managing my property is (preferably) a landlord and was a tenant.

As for testimonials, well anyone can find one or two people who really like them and write a nice fluffy letter, with great words but that won't help you if they aren't doing the basics or they cannot demonstrate what it is that they do, that provides you a value proposition for their rental commission. How do they manage their tenants, How and who does their tenant checks. How many properties does each PM manage? Do I have one point of contact or will I be speaking to many people in the rental department? What happens when the rent is late? What network of maintenance people do they have? When are statements sent? There are many others....

Dragonlady makes a point about the water scenario. Would you expect a PM to do that to all properties that are in the area in the same scenario? Why is it that it was done to this one? That is unsustainable for a PM to do that for all issues. Ok, that might be a one-off, but that is not what the PM is paid for imo. In that scenario, if you were to have sent out a plumber, the cost is passed onto the tenant not the landlord in anycase.

I've read through this thread with interest - I've just bought my first IP and am looking for a PM to manage it. One that I'm considering is about 35mins away from the IP. I'm trying to decide if this is a problem or not. How often do PM's really do the whole "drive by" thing - does it really happen? I imagine that the rest of the concerns, such as advertising for new tenants isn't as much of a concern as it used to be, due to the power of the internet etc.

It absolutely depends on your PM and also take into account how many IP's they have in their portfolio and how much support they have (do they have an assistant etc.).

I currently manage a small portfolio with properties as far as 45mins from my office, the tenants are fantastic, inspections are done 6 monthly and if I am needed at the property then I attend the property. I also get access to an assistant as my portfolio grows slightly to allow me to continue to provide a high level of service.

I have to say that the location isn't anywhere near as important as the PM themselves. Any good PM will also tell you if the property is too far from their office for them to manage well for you.

Good Luck, I'd love to know how you have gone finding someone suitable.

Back