How Many $$$ Do You Donate To Charities Each Year???

Money is only one aspect. Who cares if you donate 10k p.a if you live a life of waste and take what you have for granted? The roof over your head, a flushing toilet, a warm bed to sleep in at night and a family that is there to support you are all blessings that many never receive. A couple of hundred bucks a year won't change the lives of those people. Awareness, understanding and compassion amount to a hell of a lot more then dollars if you ask me.
What you say is partially true BUT it unlikely that someone who donates $10K per year is going to be the type of person who doesn't appreciate what they have. A couple of hundred $ does actually make a difference to these people... Our sponsor child is doing really well at school & I believe it does make a difference. It is the people who do nothing, that are the types of people who may not appreciate what they have. BTW, should this post be in the Coffee Lounge?
Steve

We transfer $30 a week to my pensioner parents account. It's not much but it makes a big difference to them. We also help out with one off large bills as we can. Probably works out around $2K a year. I guess its a case of charity begins at home. I couldn't in all good conscious donate to charities when my own folks are living on the poverty line. They hate taking money from us but at the same time they can't afford to say no. We also donate to PMH (Perth childrens hospital) and diabetes association, door knock appeals and certain appeals like tsunami, drought relief, bushfire appeals etc.

Flatout

Reactions: BV
self sustaining charity

We donate to Opportunity International who actually lend money to people in third world countries to start up small businesses. It follows the adage of "teach people how to make money rather than just give them a handout"
They have a something like 94% payback percentage and then that money gets passed onto the next person. Pretty clever. We sponsor a trust bank.
www.opportunity.org.au

Crystalleez said:
Awareness, understanding and compassion amount to a hell of a lot more then dollars if you ask me.

AWARENESS: I'm aware there are many, many others less fortunate than my family/friends. I think all of us are AWARE.

UNDERSTANDING: I think anyone who has sponsored, gifted, donated, whatever, understands WHY they do it, and the possible implications of NOT doing it.

COMPASSION: Compassion is showing mercy. Compassion is a wanting to be helpful. Giving does this.

We can all be aware, understand and show unfunded compassion until the damn cows come home, but without bucks the above three are absolutely useless.

I give myself a "pat on the back" every time those bucks are debited to my card because I'm giving our girl what she needs. My pity gives her zip, my pat on the back gives her clean water and education.:p

Forget people's motives, it simply doesn't matter - just give the cash and give yourself a pat!:)

I believe that charity starts at home. My most valuable commodity is my time. So that means helping the people with whom I come into contact....and in any capacity I have to be able to help. As for charities, I'm one of those people who seem to be attracted to the donation "boxes" and "tins" on shop counters, always buys charity raffle tickets, and sponsors all the kids in the neighbourhood doing spell-a-thons/read-a-thons...in fact any thon that is going around. Last charity I sponsored was one of the staff raising money for Relay For Life.

I've never added up the money. Most of my change goes into a jar, and it gets regularly emptied for whomever comes to the door raising money for charity.

I donate my money to orphanages in SE Asia. I've always had a compassion for people worse off than me and I'm not wealthy by any means, quite the opposite. But I've always asked myself the question "is it fair that my 'neighbour' has nothing when I've got a little more than I need? In practical terms, if I've got a spare TV in the shed gathering dust and the person next door doesn't have one I'll give it to them 'underserving' or 'deserving'. That's the secret for me, giving altruistically - expecting nothing in return. It is a devine principle, and now coming to know that Mcquarrie bank give it doesn't surprise that its doing so well.

Cheers Dean

I can assure you, Mac banks reasons and yours will be completely different.

Back