How much can be claimed?

I have tried to search for answers, but find this very confusing.

To do painting on my IP, I have to drive 1800km each way. I can claim fuel costs for the distance travelled.

I can claim accommodation for the time I was there, and for stopover accommodation on the way.

Can I claim meals at a restaurant?

Can I claim basic groceries if I cook my own food?

My partner is helping with the painting, can I claim her meals too? The property is in my name only.

We have 2 small children which will be travelling with us. Does this affect the claims? The trip is 100% for working on the Investment property.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some answers. The ATO website is painfully hard to navigate.

Travel

Sort of....Allow me to explain

If the IP was newly acquired the painting is considered a capital expense and not deductible. Ditto the travel. If the IP has been owned and its a repair then paint and travel etc deductible. Personal labour cannot be "costed" into it even if you pay a relative friend etc.

The Rental expenses guide on the ATO website covers this in detail. Read pages 12-13. Google - 2013 rental guide ato

MV Fuel

Ohhh - A further thought.

For MV claims of this type dont bother with fuel receipts etc. Use cents per KM method. Rate depends on engine size but at 74cents per Km your deductible is :

74c x 3,600 = $2664. This incorporates depreciation and wear n tear, repairs, , fuel, rego insurance etc. No receipts needed but its often helpful to have evidence you made the trip. eg to prove you didnt pay $69 for jetstar flights each way as an example.

Thanks for the reply!
The painting was requested by the tennants, and some other jobs which I could not fix in the time I was there.
Was my groceries for the week deductible? I have kept the receipts for my bbq steaks and lunch.

I don't know if you would be able to claim a living away from home allowance, which is a fixed nightly rate, depending on location. That may only be available for an employee, but it would be worth asking somebody who knows.

Yes geoff if you were an employee of the trust e.g. employed as a property manager to undertake repairs, coordinate real estate agents, manage bookkeeping etc then the employee could be paid a travel allowance based on the ato rates. If you held the property in your own name you wouldnt be an employee and therefore ineligible to use the travel allowance.

Mike this is off the main topic but it may be useful to others. What's the tax situation if I were to get a job in another city but still kept our house in Canberra, and came back for weekends?

Back